What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ex Warrior Kiwi in court

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skinner

Coach
JoeD said:
The name suppression i presume only applies in NZ. Could the name be published here on an australian based site?

Not if we want LeagueUnlimited to remain as an active site. It's all about
the definition of where something is published and there is now plenty
of precedent as far as the internet goes. Named on here would be considered
named in NZ and the site would liable for everything a Judge would throw
at it.

I really dont think it would be necessary to post the name on here.

If you look hard enough at the clues in some articles its pretty easy to figure out

MKEB...

Staff member
I know who the person is... it is just the issue of if he is guilty or not.

At the moment we are only assuming innocense or guilt.

Skinner

Coach
A lot of folks do know who the person is. Everyone is respecting that :

A) The person is innocent until proven guilty.

B) The person has been granted name suppression.

Jesbass

First Grade
Personally, while assuming innocence, I'm happy to not know who it is. If he is found guilty, I'll find out in time.

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
Mixmasterreece said:
I really dont think it would be necessary to post the name on here.

If you look hard enough at the clues in some articles its pretty easy to figure out

People always say that, and it is such a lie.

bayrep

Juniors
It doesnt seem to have recieved as much press that league usually gets when something like this happens. There was an article in the NZ herald on about page 4-5 and from what I have seen of the TV news there hasnt been much admittedly I havent seen much news over the week.

Scorpio30

Bench
The easiest way around it is to say "I saw such and such outside the district court today". Just as if you'd seen them at McDonalds, then its up to anyone to make of it what they will.

Skinner

Coach
Scorpio30 said:
The easiest way around it is to say "I saw such and such outside the district court today". Just as if you'd seen them at McDonalds, then its up to anyone to make of it what they will.

But we won't bother...........will we :cool:

Iafeta

Referee
LeagueNut said:
Another consideration for this case would be the inevitable "trial by media" that haunts these kinds of cases.

I'm not sure about your other point though Iafeta - name surpression traditionally is only effective for Joe Public's like you & me, not people who have connections to the accused. When a case involving a "personality" like this hits the courts, a lot of people would already know exactly who it is.

When the "Kiwi Drug Celebrity" case was dragging on a while ago, someone (Newstalk ZB host, can't remember his name) made the point that if you're in the media, or know someone in the media, you'll already know who the suspects are. I imagine this case would be pretty similiar.

Ahhh... the mysteries of Crime Investigation (a channel we have over here in Oz)... some of the tricks played with name suppression and how those suppressions have helped protect and uncover further evidence is quite chilling.. :) Too many late night CI nights...

sinbad

Juniors
I saw the Mad Butcher standing outside Mac Donalds the other day !!!

Now what the hell does that mean ?????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts