What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Exclusive NRL radio broadcaster to call some games off tv monitor

Brutus

Referee
Just heard MG mention this on Talkin Sport and a caller rang up very unhappy.

Apparently radio ratings leader 2GB are cutting costs for some reason and the Continious Call will be copping the brunt of it with the commentary team to call some matches off a TV monitor in studio instead of going out to the grounds.

Can anyone confirm this?

Mr Saab

Referee
"aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah....they will be condoning international piracy"

oh wait...

HevyDevy

Coach
Newspapers cover games off TV at times - what's the big deal?

The only question is whether it will impact upon the quality of the coverage. If not, no big deal.

Parra

Referee
Ray knows how to call a game of footy.

If anyone thinks it can be done as well off the monitor alone they are kidding.

Eels Dude

Coach
Didn't they do that when they were on 2UE, as a bit of an unethical protest to losing the broadcast rights? Wouldn't be as good IMO, Normally enjoy the on the grounds commentary as such. It won't work too well if they want to cover the sunday game which Foxtel aren't showing live.

HevyDevy

Coach
I didn't know newspaper reports involved reporting 'atmosphere'.

You watch the game, call the coach afterwards and Bob's your uncle.

It's rare but it happens.

Eels Dude

Coach

You watch the game, call the coach afterwards and Bob's your uncle.

It's rare but it happens.

I think you missed his entire point that newspaper reporting is a lot different to a live radio broadcast...

Brutus

Referee

Well maybe they could be a tad different to radio broadcasts then.

Having your own sideline eye getting all the latest info tends to add to a broadcast.

C'mon you're a journo, I thought you might get it.

IanG

Coach
They did this a couple of time last year anyway while Ray Hadley was in Beijing doing the Olympic Games. Andrew Moore and Steve Roach did the call in the sudio off monitors. Just put the stadium sound with no fox commentary in the background. Mind you both those games were in Auckland but non the less.

Speaking of which ABC just take a feed from Radio Sport NZ of game in New Zealand. I know not the same thing cuz ABC doesn't have the same budget and it's cheaper for them to take the feed and pay an invoice for that than send a crew across the tasman.

Last edited:

Tiger_Tim

Juniors
I heard Ray mention this morning that they were doing tomorrow night's game from Melbourne off the TV - I'm guessing it will be interstate/NZ games that are done like this - to save on flights and accomodation

Loudstrat

Coach
Does this impact anyone? Because anyone with a brain would already be listening to the ABC.

Also wondering if the sideline eye gets to sit closer to the telly?

dragonic

Juniors
this is woeful, it means that the radio commentators are subjected to whatever the TV director decides to show - many things will be missed or picked up on slowly

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Um, does everyone realise this is just rumour? People are reacting as if they've been told it's a fact.

I reckon it'd be best to get an actual response out of 2GB rather than jump to stupid conclusions...

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Hadley and Moore are better commentators than the ABC guys imo

As much as they might carry on with rubbish outside the call time, during the game they are quality commentators, that much I agree with.