What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Exit stage left: News Ltd demands Storm player sale

mickdo

Coach
Everybody is happy then.

No, a small vocal minority is happy. Everybody else is pissed off because they were caught blatantly cheating during a season and were then allowed to play again 5 seconds later! Just come back next year ffs.

Gallop's going to be worried in some ways. Or at least I think he will be. With his idea, the big players could all leave the NRL if they are all committed to wanting to stay at the Storm, and that probably won't be possible if pay cuts simply aren't allowed. I can't see all of the "Big Four" staying.

Read as promised :cool:

Agreed the big four will more than likely be forced from the storm and maybe/possibly from the NRL. Best guess is that one will leave the code and the others will change clubs only.

I would prefer they didnt but if thats what it takes to get through this scandal then so be it.

oldmancraigy

Coach
I think Gallops argumanet to that was that Storm wont play for points this year no matter what.. He said it would be unfair to say for example Inglis if it meant he sit out the season or he couldnt go to another club as it would put them over the cap.

What im worried about with this.. is now will we see GI and Slater
goto Union or the UK.

If so.. i think thats a absolute mistake we dont want these stars leaving.. or Folau.

I don't think anyone wants the stars leaving, but hard to blame the NRL when the Storm made the mess.

If they want the salary cap raised, they should have sponsored Cronulla by 350k per season, that way the cap could be raised by 350k....

Jose93

Juniors
Read as promised :cool:

Agreed the big four will more than likely be forced from the storm and maybe/possibly from the NRL. Best guess is that one will leave the code and the others will change clubs only.

I would prefer they didnt but if thats what it takes to get through this scandal then so be it.

And that's why Gallop must be really annoyed, if not concerned. He must have believed that they had two stars of the game, who had real potential for other codes, signed up. That's a lot of the battle with the salary cap. For example, if all four end up leaving the NRL, Gould's comments seem to be true. We're thinning down the talent, rather than sharing it.

Slater and Inglis could easily find their way to other sports, Smith and Cronk could easily find their way to England for Super League is my way of reading it.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Mascord made a good point today

Kingston wanted to take a pay cut to stay at Parra and wasn't allowed

same thing should happen to the Storm players

Helen

Juniors
No, a small vocal minority is happy. Everybody else is pissed off because they were caught blatantly cheating during a season and were then allowed to play again 5 seconds later! Just come back next year ffs.

Many others are pissed off because the rorts allowed this team to remain together to hone their skills as a group. Something the other teams were denied.

If they remain with the club even if under the salary cap nothing changes other then their pay packets.

STG-Dragon

Juniors
What Gallop RIGHTLY points out is that the opportunity to take pay cuts rides on the back of cheating in the first place.

Example:

Cronulla spends $17million next season to get a premiership winning squad. They get busted in 2012 and given 0 points and their 2011 premiership is stripped.
Because the players want to win a premiership, they all take a pay cut to remain together for the 2013 season so that they can have a red hot shot at winning the comp that year.

To allow the players to take a pay cut is completely farcical. They ought to be paid their current salaries, whether at the club or not; and those needing to be cut so that the Storm can get under the cap, get cut (but still paid).
It's a fair penalty.

That's what the scum f**king Bulldogs did they cheated got caught and then the players took pay cuts won a comp and then all left for bigger pay checks, it was f**king bullsh*t but what else could you expect from such a scum club!

The NRL made a mistake and won't let the Storm get away with the same.

babyg

Juniors
Are you saying you still wouldn't be happy if

a) Storm have to offload a superstar and a few middle tier players within the next month
b) they have absolutely no chance at making the finals this year
c) teams playing the Storm this year are actually playing against a team under the cap and have a better chance of beating them
d) the fans in Victoria get to see their team playing again, thus increasing the value of rugby league, in turn revenue for your club in the next tv rights.

mickdo

Coach
a) Storm have to offload a superstar and a few middle tier players within the next month

Up to them I guess

b) they have absolutely no chance at making the finals this year

This is mandatory IMO

c) teams playing the Storm this year are actually playing against a team under the cap and have a better chance of beating them

That ends up disadvantaging the teams that have already played the Storm...

d) the fans in Victoria get to see their team playing again, thus increasing the value of rugby league, in turn revenue for your club in the next tv rights.

Their team is still playing already?

Gallop's going to be worried in some ways. Or at least I think he will be. With his idea, the big players could all leave the NRL if they are all committed to wanting to stay at the Storm, and that probably won't be possible if pay cuts simply aren't allowed. I can't see all of the "Big Four" staying.
When some go, others come!

Didgi

But if Slater accepts an offer of 60 grand to go play for the Cowboys because he wants to be nearer to home. And Inglis accepts 80 grand to play for the Titans because he wants to take up surfing and Cronk accepts 70 grand to go to Penrith because his brother lives there and Smith accepts 100 grand to go to Brisbane to keep his wife happy - then thats OK right?

You jerk - NQ has surfing as well :p. We'll give Cronk's brother $100K to move to Townsville. And kitchens in Mackay look darn similar to those in Brisbane ;-)

$310,000 for Slater, Inglis, Cronk and Smith? I like you're thinking behind this :D

WireMan

Bench
The players have managers. Offer any player what they can afford to get under the cap. Just make it so all contracts get cancelled at the end of the season. That puts all players back on the market.

If for example Inglis is offered more elsewhere then he can go there. If he decides to stay for what is offered then its upto him.

If the players decide to stick together for less then fair play to them.

They might like it in Melbourne. Big Izzy seemed to think it was nice down there.