What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Expansion in the next 10 years: Discussing the merits of each team

Brownie.Kougari

Juniors
There should never be another team added to the area between Newcastle, Woolongong and Penrith. The teams there are dying & will do so quicker with the pokies tax, the fact that they're so reliant on pokies is pathetic

b0rt

Juniors
Where would you rather play Perth or Hull?

shall we ask McMenemy?

so why would a top level rugby league player move to Perth unless it was paying overs.

1. they may be from perth
2. opportunity e.g monaghan wanted to play half for an nrl club, no1 would sign him, he went to england, nathan sharpe of western force, not making much more (if any) than if hed been in another team, but now hes an innaugral captain
3. opportunity (not top level though): plenty of people would be willing to move to get an opportunity, look at all the players from NZ who come across, and all the players in different states (from NRL, AFL, ARU)
4. england: reducing numbers of foreign players allowed in SL teams and worse lifestyle than perth (from the perspective of most australians anyway)
5. sure there more, but im tired

Billythekid

First Grade
IF we can increase the TV deal (and I am not just talking about the Australian one as we now have two rival satellite companies in the UK who would want NRL and we should be looking at more from NZ with the Wellington team as the carrot plus other international markets and the international SOO package seperately) then I don't see a need to cull a Sydney team. There are enough players (especially given WA and Wellington will be adding local talent to the playing pool and SL's diminishing overseas quota), we just need enough TV money to increase the grants to around $5million per club and to increase the ARL's grant for more development work.

Whilst I agree that there are too many Sydney clubs for long term viability I would hate any fan to have to go through what we went through in losing their club.

It wouldn't be a problem if the people running these clubs weren't incompetent hacks.

Eels Dude

Coach
shall we ask McMenemy?

1. they may be from perth
2. opportunity e.g monaghan wanted to play half for an nrl club, no1 would sign him, he went to england, nathan sharpe of western force, not making much more (if any) than if hed been in another team, but now hes an innaugral captain
3. opportunity (not top level though): plenty of people would be willing to move to get an opportunity, look at all the players from NZ who come across, and all the players in different states (from NRL, AFL, ARU)
4. england: reducing numbers of foreign players allowed in SL teams and worse lifestyle than perth (from the perspective of most australians anyway)
5. sure there more, but im tired

1. Would make sense, however there are very few players from Perth.
2. Michael Monaghan was under contract to Manly, they released him specifically to go the the UK. Clubs would have chased him if they could. Not quite sure the point you're trying to make in regards to Nathan Sharpe, it doesn't make much grammatical sense.
3. Good point, if organised properly it would work, . However it they don't have the resources they're just going to end up with 25 blokes who aren't up to first grade standard. They'll need proven first graders to be a success.
4. That's up to England, and I can imagine them wanting to do that just to help Perth. Worse lifestyle, but players don't go there for the lifestyle.

Latest posts