What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Expansion in the next 10 years: Discussing the merits of each team

Yes they do. But whether they can afford them is another matter. News Ltd owned the Cowboys for years and Melbourne, if not for them they'd have gone under.

Brisbane are fine because they've got the support, crowds and media coverage for long term survival. You can't just plop a team in Perth with no rugby league heartland and expect the same, they need support and long term committment from above. I do see what you're saying and ideally I'd agree with you in there. In other words I'd like to see it happen, but those are my reasons why will not see it happen for a time yet.

no one is saying just plonk a team in Perth and hope for the best. You need to have put in the ground work to make it Viable. And the right Business plan needs to be in place. That much is obvious.

If Perth cant come up with a decent financial model , offcourse they dont get in.

Perth however is very different to Melbourne. It has a much higher standard local comp , WA Reds are up and running in the Jim Beam cup, there are players from Perth playing in the NRL , ex pat english , etc , etc.

BrisVegas

Juniors
Any expansion team needs to have a solid business plan for a chance at inclusion in the NRL ala the Titans, but everything I've heard about the WA Reds over the past few months indicate that they are well and truley up to the challenge.

W.A. also has a strong history of supporting their sporting teams. The Glory were the NSL powerhouse in terms of revenue and crowds, the Western Force are clearing a million dollars profit while the other Australian S14 clubs are losing money, and the West Coast Eagles are the benchmark club of the AFL along with Collingwood. All without using poker machine revenue as a crutch

The WA Reds, since there re-formation last year, have:

- Signed a 2 year naming rights sponsorship deal with an international company (BarterCard)

- Signed over 600 ticketed members (over 1000 members if non-ticketed are included)

- Are in the final stages of helping to negotiate South Sydney taking 2 games a year to Perth in '09 and '10.

- Are in negotiation with the W.A. government for a $30 million redevelopment of M.E. Stadium (inc. greatly enhanced corporate facilities).

http://www.warugbyleague.com.au/content/news/?page=3&nid=2951&oid=
REDS CORPORATE BREAKFAST THIS WED The WA Reds will announce a major naming rights sponsor at a home season launch corporate breakfast on Wednesday morning according to Reds Chairman, Geoff Baldwin.

This new partnership will keep our total sponsorship targets on track for our first three years and now that we are seeing results on the field inquiry from the corporate sector has increased enormously, Baldwin said.

“On Wednesday we will launch our home season to 60 corporate supporters at Chianti on Colin restaurant in West Perth with addresses from myself and from NRL Operations Executive, Graeme Annersley.

“The breakfast will be MC’d by Perth sporting personality and ex Western Reds player, Adrian Barich.

“We will also use this occasion to launch our Reds Business Club which centres on corporate networking and business promotion opportunities including regular meetings and a business convention in Sydney which will take in the NRL Grand Final.

"We are extremelly heartened by the wonderful sponsorship support we have had in our debut year and we hope to continue to build relationships as we work towards our target of having a Perth based team in the NRL wthin 5 years.

“Seats at the Breakfast are filling fast however, any business person who would like to know more about opportunities with the Reds, should contact Richard Campbell as soon as possible to confirm a seat, Mr Baldwin said.
and

http://www.warugbyleague.com.au/content/news/?page=3&nid=2960&oid=

NRL CHIEF OPENS DOOR FOR PERTH FRANCHISE

In an address to the new Bartercard Reds Rugby League team’s home season launch breakfast, National Rugby League Chief Operating Officer, Graham Annersley, confirmed this week that Perth would be considered in any future competition expansion.

Annersley was in Perth in the lead up to the Reds inaugural home game against the Sydney Southern Sharks on Saturday night at Members Equity Stadium.

“The Reds have taken the right approach in laying a foundation in the Jim Beam competition, it is obvious that they have the support of the State Government and the home ground at Members Equity Stadium is also another plus, he said.

“Clearly the WA Rugby league still has an enormous amount of work to do however the local board and management are an extremely professional group and there is already an impressive level of corporate support for the Reds.

“The WA Rugby League’s decision to establish a team to compete in the Jim Beam Cup as a vehicle to progress back to the NRL is a good one and we will be watching how that goes over the next couple of years, he said.

WA Rugby League Chairman Geoff Baldwin said that he was heartened by the positive comments from the NRL as they represented a significant change in attitude towards expansion and the re-establishment of a Perth based team.

“Our progression back to the NRL depend largely on good management, corporate support and attendances to our Bartercard Reds home games.

“The confirmation of Bartercard as our naming rights sponsor in a two year deal worth around $200,000 along with other major sponsor support has helped us lay a very solid foundation.

“This weekends opening game will be a test for the Reds against a Sydney Southern Sharks line up that includes former State of Origin and Test player David Peachey along with several NRL prospects.

“The WA Reds acronym is W.A.R. and we encourage fans to come along to the ‘WAR Zone’ for the opening battle this Saturday night with the NZ v Perth City curtain raiser starting at 5pm.” Mr Baldwin said.
Very impressive work for a club that is only months old and competing in the JB Cup.

When you consider that the Broncos, Titans and Cowboys are 3 of the most financially successful teams in the competition, the WA Reds are smart in implementing their successful strategies.

magpie_man

Juniors
#1 WA Reds
- Economic Boom on the west coast;
- High population of eastern states expats which is still growing;
- Highest NRL player representation from non-rugby league states;
- Opening-up a totally new market to the game;
- The team is already building itself from the ground up by competing in the Jim Beam Cup and intends to continue progressing through the lower-tier competitions until it reaches the NRL attracting more players, sponsors and fans along the way.

#2 Central Coast Bears
- Links to one of the most affluent regions of Sydney which is unrepresented at NRL level currently (North Shore);
- Massive ready-to-go Junior-base;
- Strong ready-to-go supporter-base;
- Likely to reconnect disenchanted fans back with the game;
- Good ready-to-go stadium.

#3 Wellington Orcas
- Would provide a strong rivalry with NZ Warriors;
- Opening-up a relatively new market to the game;
- Provides more opportunities for kiwi players to play in the NRL and stay in NZ;
- Would only strengthen the NZ national team, good for the international game;
- Private backer willing to fully fund the team;
- Shouldn't place any significant strain on the Australian junior playing ranks.

These are the only three bids that can put-forward any sort of a strong case for inclusion.
The Sunshine Coast isn't even supporting a Qld Cup side yet; PNG, at this stage, is a third-world country incapable of supporting an NRL side in any way; Adelaide hasn't shown any activity to try and get representation, Logan/Ipswich is too close to the Gold Coast; Toowoomba can't even support a Qld Cup side.

lotti

Bench
Red definately need to be brought back in, same with the Rams the Southern States Cup needs to be fought over again.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
The Sunshine Coast isn't even supporting a Qld Cup side yet;
Adelaide hasn't shown any activity to try and get representation, Logan/Ipswich is too close to the Gold Coast;
Toowoomba can't even support a Qld Cup side.

We arent talking about right now, we are talking about in 10 years time. By then, the population of Logan/Ipswich will skyrocket, the Sunshine Coast will have a team in the Qld Cup soon with the backing they are now getting, Adelaide was a success before, with a little big of work, they can be a success again.

England has beaches... England has lifestyle. So does Sydney, so why would a top level rugby league player move to Perth unless it was paying overs. That 8 million has to come from somewhere. They're not going to provide top level juniors. The Titans will work long term because they they've got the appeal as a start, and a solid junior league base in

:lol: , sorry but you cant be serious?! have you ever been to Leeds or Bradford? or maybe checked out the beach at Blackpool? Well i have and i can tell you , you dont go there for beaches and the lifestyle.

Have you heard of Matt Peterson? maybe Daniel Holdsworth? , they are both from Perth.

plenty of top level rugby union players have moved to perth for the western force. And only one of them has been paid overs.

and what exactly does 'The 8 million have to come from somewhere' mean?

cant you see that 2 more teams means there are more roster positions to be filled meaning more options for players? some players that have left for the ESL have done so becuase there simply isnt a team for them here. Adding 2 more teams will give them more options.

Eels Dude

Coach
:lol: , sorry but you cant be serious?! have you ever been to Leeds or Bradford? or maybe checked out the beach at Blackpool? Well i have and i can tell you , you dont go there for beaches and the lifestyle.

Have you heard of Matt Peterson? maybe Daniel Holdsworth? , they are both from Perth.

plenty of top level rugby union players have moved to perth for the western force. And only one of them has been paid overs.

and what exactly does 'The 8 million have to come from somewhere' mean?

cant you see that 2 more teams means there are more roster positions to be filled meaning more options for players? some players that have left for the ESL have done so becuase there simply isnt a team for them here. Adding 2 more teams will give them more options.

No I wasn't serious actually... Players go to England for the money obviosly. And if they want a retirement zone is Aus they'll go to Souths (no offence intended) or other poor performing Sydney club instead of travelling across the country.

As I said the 8 million has to come from somewhere. Those 4 million dollar salaries are not going to pay themselves.

You're kidding yourself if you think the reason players are leaving the NRL to play in the ESL simply because "they're isn't a team for them here". You reckon no team wanted Mick Monaghan, Trent Barrett, Shaun Berrigan etc...

Players are still going to be moving to England because they offer more money. I'd like to see salary cap concessions prevent that but nothing is in the pipeline. Adding more teams will decrease the depth and result in more sides fielding players who arent up to first grade standard.

flamin

Juniors
England has beaches... England has lifestyle. So does Sydney, so why would a top level rugby league player move to Perth unless it was paying overs. That 8 million has to come from somewhere. They're not going to provide top level juniors. The Titans will work long term because they they've got the appeal as a start, and a solid junior league base in
That 8 million dollars is provided in the NRL's grant to clubs, which should significantly increase by the the time of the next tv rights deal.

Knight87

Juniors
Just because it's even doesn't mean it's going well. Last years clubs like Parra barely won half our games and made the top 4, and the Cowboys had a terribly negative for and against and finished 3rd. It's been a muck around the past 3 or 4 years, with a few exceptions any team can thrash any team on their day. We see one great football team a year, the rest are mediocre.

We're losing plenty of players at the top level to the ESL. They may not be all 23 and making rep sides or the most high profile. I believe if you could take the best 30 Aussie players out of the ESL they would almost certainly slot straight back into first grade.

What about Jamie Lyon?

lotti

Bench
#1 WA Reds
- Economic Boom on the west coast;
- High population of eastern states expats which is still growing;
- Highest NRL player representation from non-rugby league states;
- Opening-up a totally new market to the game;
- The team is already building itself from the ground up by competing in the Jim Beam Cup and intends to continue progressing through the lower-tier competitions until it reaches the NRL attracting more players, sponsors and fans along the way.

#2 Central Coast Bears
- Links to one of the most affluent regions of Sydney which is unrepresented at NRL level currently (North Shore);
- Massive ready-to-go Junior-base;
- Strong ready-to-go supporter-base;
- Likely to reconnect disenchanted fans back with the game;
- Good ready-to-go stadium.

#3 Wellington Orcas
- Would provide a strong rivalry with NZ Warriors;
- Opening-up a relatively new market to the game;
- Provides more opportunities for kiwi players to play in the NRL and stay in NZ;
- Would only strengthen the NZ national team, good for the international game;
- Private backer willing to fully fund the team;
- Shouldn't place any significant strain on the Australian junior playing ranks.

These are the only three bids that can put-forward any sort of a strong case for inclusion.
The Sunshine Coast isn't even supporting a Qld Cup side yet; PNG, at this stage, is a third-world country incapable of supporting an NRL side in any way; Adelaide hasn't shown any activity to try and get representation, Logan/Ipswich is too close to the Gold Coast; Toowoomba can't even support a Qld Cup side.
PNG have a RL side it's called the Kumuls I've seen them play against France, Toowoomba has the Clydedales, Adelaide used to have a team in the NRL called the Rams, the Sunshine coast every year hosts at least 1 trial game a year so it can handle a NRL side but QLD has too many.

lotti

Bench
I know of 1 top level league player who got his first grade start in WA.

Eels Dude, unfortunately it would appear the humour of the "beaches & lifestyle of england" is lost on the majority here.

One bit of good news is I personally found it very funny :D

Eels Dude

Coach
That 8 million dollars is provided in the NRL's grant to clubs, which should significantly increase by the the time of the next tv rights deal.

I didn't think the grant per club was that high.... Still someone's gotta pay for the rest of the costs. I'm not saying it's not able to be done, just risky for the time being.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
I dont think it is $8 million. Im pretty sure that $8 million is what is on offer to any club that chooses to move to the Central Coast. I think the NRL grants NRL clubs around $4 million.

Eels Dude

Coach
Eels Dude, unfortunately it would appear the humour of the "beaches & lifestyle of england" is lost on the majority here.

One bit of good news is I personally found it very funny :D

Cheers Jatz... Glad you picked up on it. Thought I'd beat irony with irony you cannot always win :lol:

flamin

Juniors
I dont think it is $8 million. Im pretty sure that $8 million is what is on offer to any club that chooses to move to the Central Coast. I think the NRL grants NRL clubs around $4 million.
Sorry I meant in the event of 2 clubs being added to the NRL. Eels Dude was asking where 8 million would come from for salary cap payments for 2 clubs. Its almost 4 million IIRC. Can't find the proper figure though.

The definition of irony =

Putting your body through the usual drinking in the qantas club and during the bloody 400 hour flight to London via singapore and then all you want is to eat a nice bowl of fresh tropical fruit and drink a lovely mango juice and sit on the beach and soak up the rays.

And then you wake up dehydrated & in the the hire car office at Heathrow :lol: