What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Expansion, relocation and candidates for relocation

Martli

Coach
The problem with a second divison would be that most good players will leave to the first divison, and teams will be dead-locked in the second division with no way out due to a lower salary cap which wont allow for big-name signings. (And lets face it, having the same salary cap would just be unfair on the top teams). This would also mean that teams will have to let go of big names when relegated aswell.

The second divison would just act as feeder clubs to the top.

I've suggested before and also read other people say the same thing, that the Wests Tigers JV could be broken up and both teams could re-locate.

Why would they do this?

Firstly, they would receive plenty of support from the NRL as well as have a new market to draw sponsorship and supporters from.
Secondly, their near century old histories and identities would be retained - though they'd be playing in a different city.
Thirdly, their old Sydney fans would be able to see them when they play against Sydney clubs.
Each team could also play one home game a year at their old home grounds at Leichardt and Campbelltown respectively, as a tribute to their past.

Would this be better than being in a Joint Venture? Would the NRL eventually benefit from the "Perth Tigers" and the "Adelaide Magpies"? Would fans react well to their clubs getting their history, logo and jerseys back but having them play in Sydney only when they play the other Sydney clubs?

Personally, if the Steelers came back as a stand alone team proped up by the NRL in Adelaide or Perth i'd be delighted and they'd have my support. I'd be able to travel to Sydney to see them play the other Sydney clubs. Though it won't happen as Wollongong is important to the game and has the best league nursery in the world. Also, eventually the Dragons will probably move down here and I will then be able to fully embrace them. Sydney on the other hand, most seem to agree, is overcrowded.

Would the Perth Tigers and Adelaide Magpies work better than the Wests Tigers JV playing many of it's games at Telstra (as of next year)? I guess it's a matter of what you'd prefer... identity & history preserved but taking the game to a new market, or losing identity and history for the sake of remaining in an overcrowded Sydney basin.

KFC

Juniors
Rugby League is just getting back into a marketable position.

The NRL has recaptured the hearts and minds of their core audience.

What needs to be done now is to bring new people to the game.

For that you need a good product on the field and stability off it.

I've no doubt that the CC and the GC will get their own teams.

There is no point in making changes until the NRL has the power.

Parra_Eels

Bench
20 is the max amount of teams to work with in 15 years.
1. gc
2.cc
3. wellington
4.adelaide
5.perth

and thats all you need. please no relocations

innsaneink

Referee
DJ1 said:
Be realistic?

Will you survive the Pokie Tax?

If WestsTigers dont survive the pokie tax...one things for sure, there'll be others fall before we do.
The pokie tax is gunna hit every NSW club, and hit em hard, the bigger and wealthier the club, the harder its gunna hit.
So fans from all clubs, not just the battlers, should be concerned.

Man-of-steel 1982 said:
Each team could also play one home game a year at their old home grounds at Leichardt and Campbelltown respectively, as a tribute to their past.

Ta very much m-o-s 82....youre so very generous.

But Leichhardt and Campbo council already have a problem with WestsTigers playing only 4,5 or 6 games at their parks.....I'm sure theyre gunna wanna cough up the $$$$ to maintain the grounds for ONE game per year!

innsaneink said:
But Leichhardt and Campbo council already have a problem with WestsTigers playing only 4,5 or 6 games at their parks.....I'm sure theyre gunna wanna cough up the $$$$ to maintain the grounds for ONE game per year!

The grounds wouldn't need to be maintained as highly for one game a year. There's a similar problem with WIN and Oki, WIN has 7 games to satisfy the state govt and other investors who put in for the ground upgrades. Obviously, multiple home grounds can't continue forever. I think club histories, identities, new markets and areas in need of an NRL side are more important than proping up ancient football grounds for JV teams.

Sea_Eagles_Rock

First Grade
Man_of_Steel_1982 said:
I've suggested before and also read other people say the same thing, that the Wests Tigers JV could be broken up and both teams could re-locate.

Why would they do this?

Firstly, they would receive plenty of support from the NRL as well as have a new market to draw sponsorship and supporters from.
Secondly, their near century old histories and identities would be retained - though they'd be playing in a different city.
Thirdly, their old Sydney fans would be able to see them when they play against Sydney clubs.

Would this be better than being in a Joint Venture? Would the NRL eventually benefit from the "Perth Tigers" and the "Adelaide Magpies"? Would fans react well to their clubs getting their history, logo and jerseys back but having them play in Sydney only when they play the other Sydney clubs?

Personally, if the Steelers came back as a stand alone team proped up by the NRL in Adelaide or Perth i'd be delighted and they'd have my support. I'd be able to travel to Sydney to see them play the other Sydney clubs. Though it won't happen as Wollongong is important to the game and has the best league nursery in the world. Also, eventually the Dragons will probably move down here and I will then be able to fully embrace them. Sydney on the other hand, most seem to agree, is overcrowded.

Would the Perth Tigers and Adelaide Magpies work better than the Wests Tigers JV playing many of it's games at Telstra (as of next year)? I guess it's a matter of what you'd prefer... identity & history preserved but taking the game to a new market, or losing identity and history for the sake of remaining in an overcrowded Sydney basin.

You know you have got me thinking.... Is anybody on this forum a fan of the merged identity instead of one particular part of the identity.

For example: Are there true West Tigers fans, or are there only fans who support the west part or tigers part of the JV only. Would anybody honestly be unhappy if the JV did seperate? :?:

Sea_Eagles_Rock said:
Man_of_Steel_1982 said:

Why would they do this?

You know you have got me thinking.... Is anybody on this forum a fan of the merged identity instead of one particular part of the identity.

For example: Are there true West Tigers fans, or are there only fans who support the west part or tigers part of the JV only. Would anybody honestly be unhappy if the JV did seperate? :?:

Exactly.

I'm a 'Illawarra Dragons' supporter when I go to games, just as there are old St.George supporters. Anyone who is a 'Wests Tigers' only supporter or a strictly 'St.George Illawarra' supporter (with no faction aleigence) was either born yesterday or was not a decent supporter of their old club before the merge. How anyone can cast aside their clubs history and identity and passionately support a JV more than their old club is beyond me.

Plus, if the Tigers and Magpies split we would have 16 teams... not to mention Perth and Adelaide having NRL representation. Perth Tigers at the home ground of Perth Glory, a new rectangular stadium with a 19,000 capacity. Adelaide Magpies... Port Adelaide used to be the Magpies before they entered the AFL (because of Collingwood obviously) - might get interest straight away with the name... a good name for a footy team.

This could only work though with the new FTA agreement including nation wide coverage in prime time.

NRL_man

Juniors
The Magpies & Tigers won't split up. They are merged and have moved on. Think of something else.

fatshark

Bench
The only person I agree with is KFC , the rest is gibberish.
Some of you sound like businessmen expand, expand!
The comp will NOT expand beyond the east coast of OZ.

BuffaloRules

Coach
Can someone explain why teams in Perth and Adelaide will be any more successul than the Storm?

Any support League did have in those cities died when their first teams got screwed.

Why are people so obsessed with getting teams there?? Is it just to match the AFL??

Sea_Eagles_Rock said:

I actually would be pissed off if the JV separated because at the absolute best, Wests would probably have to relocate and I'll be f**ked if I'll follow a team that plays its home games in bloody Perth.

I follow the JV club but I keep an eye on the Wests Magpies lower grades and I watch them when I go to see the Wests Tigers play. I follow both teams but I'm as passionate about the Wests Tigers as anyone.

And unlike man of steel who has an inflated view of his former club, I am under no illusions that if we didn't merge, we'd be gone.

Illawarra Dragons my arse.

_Johnsy

Referee
I can honestly say I support the JV, I am an Stgeorge Illawarra dragons fan. Anyone who says they are an Illawarra or StGeorge fan is doing their nrl club no favours at all. Get over it fellas move with the times or be left behind dinosaurs.

I did follow StGeorge before the JV, but I identify our current nrl side as a JV. The difference is that I see StGeorge when I see them play, but they are the StGeorge Illawarra Dragons.

taxidriver

Coach
Illawarra Dragons ?? :lol: :lol: :lol:

f**k me if that isn't the most arrogant thing I've seen in ages. Sainst saved you from total extinction, you were broke and couldn't afford to put a team on the paddock.

Be thankful for the 7 games you do get, if you aren't interested in supporting Saints then by all means, I'll happily arrange the farewell party for you.

You think if the JV splits, Saints wont get the licence ?

Ungrateful and delisional prat.

BuffaloRules said:
Can someone explain why teams in Perth and Adelaide will be any more successul than the Storm?

Any support League did have in those cities died when their first teams got screwed.

Why are people so obsessed with getting teams there?? Is it just to match the AFL??

Exactly BR.

And why are there people so willing to just call AFL expansion successful? It isn't.

The Lions are going well because they've won 3 premierships in a row. AFL itself barely rates a mention in Brisbane and if the Lions aren't playing, AFL doesn't rate at all.

The Swans are a basket case. Their ratings are abysmal and their crowds are totally dependent on their position on the table. The AFL has been pissing money into that black hole for 20 years.

The Kangaroos have tried to get people interested in Sydney and Canberra with no success.

League shouldn't go to AFL strongholds before it expands into League strongholds.

Perth and Adelaide shouldn't be on the agenda until all League strongholds are represented. And even then, the chances that they'd be successful are slim.

Sea_Eagles_Rock

First Grade
That's good to see there are a few JV on here. You see so many people who support one part or the other but not really both.

greeneyed

First Grade
The reason we need teams in Adelaide and Perth and Melbourne is simple: TV.

We need a sport that appeals to the national TV networks.

The AFL has a competition that covers all 5 major State capitals, which form the basis of the TV networks. This is why the AFL gets more money from TV deals, which is the main source of income for any sport in modern times.

If we ignore this imperative, we will progressively fall further and further behind AFL.

I would like to see teams based on the Gold Coast and Central Coast, but frankly, they don't count for an awful lot as far as the TV networks are concerned.

Successful teams in Melbourne, Adelaide and Perth are ESSENTIAL.