What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Expansion Team Names

greenBV4

Bench
https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/06/08/nrl-expansion-team-could-have-indigenous-name/

Looks like Western Corridor is reinvigorating their stake in the Brisbane bid and looking to use an aboriginal name to stand out from the other bids out there.
The Brisbane Broncos also support the bid, and it is expected that the Newcastle Knights would back it as the club has an official partnership with the Ipswich Jets to develop local talent.
This part was interesting, Why would the knights back one of their own development teams to join the NRL, they then lose that development area? and I thought the Broncos were against any 2nd Brisbane team, I guess they see it as an inevitability and have picked the bid the furthest away from them to "back"?

ash the bash

Juniors
Maybe as part of the deal with Newcastle, the Knights agreed to support there licence in return. I think the Titans would be most concerned with "Jagera Jets" since they will include Logan.

The Great Dane

First Grade
https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/06/08/nrl-expansion-team-could-have-indigenous-name/

Looks like Western Corridor is reinvigorating their stake in the Brisbane bid and looking to use an aboriginal name to stand out from the other bids out there.

They've been talking about calling themselves the Jagera Jets for a decade now.

Personally I think it's silly, if you're going to go the Indigenous name route you really need to fully embrace it or it just sounds disjointed and weird.

They would be better of merging with Norths or Wynnum to become the Brisbane Devils or East Coast Seagulls, using the colours black and orange and based out of Langlands Park, Coorparoo.

flippikat

Bench
If they're going the indigenous route they should use an Aussie animal such as kookaburra, cockatoo, goanna or quoll as their mascot.

Brisbane Goanna, wearing Green, brown & white?

That's maybe a way of side-stepping the Jets name, trying to find something fresh, but keeping a connection to Ipswich colours.

Like how Brisbane Easts have used Firehawks as a bid name, and added blue to their Qld Cup colours for the NRL bid.

Brisbane Goanna, wearing Green, brown & white?

That's maybe a way of side-stepping the Jets name, trying to find something fresh, but keeping a connection to Ipswich colours.

Like how Brisbane Easts have used Firehawks as a bid name, and added blue to their Qld Cup colours for the NRL bid.
If they go with Jageera it will be interesting to see how the biased fumbleball loving losers at the ABC cover it, especially if the logo is traditional Aboriginal art and drawn by a former player like Sid Domic or Preston Campbell.

I don't know if an Aboriginal name will appeal to non-Aboriginal Australians. It'll be like the All Stars team, but represent far fewer people. My fear is it might create NSL style race riots at games between fans.

Brisbane Goannas could work. Green, brown and white wodld be an interesting combination. Brisbane is known as the Lizard City due to its high population of skinks, so having a monitor lizard as the emblem could work.

MugaB

Coach
If they go with Jageera it will be interesting to see how the biased fumbleball loving losers at the ABC cover it, especially if the logo is traditional Aboriginal art and drawn by a former player like Sid Domic or Preston Campbell.

I don't know if an Aboriginal name will appeal to non-Aboriginal Australians. It'll be like the All Stars team, but represent far fewer people. My fear is it might create NSL style race riots at games between fans.

Brisbane Goannas could work. Green, brown and white wodld be an interesting combination. Brisbane is known as the Lizard City due to its high population of skinks, so having a monitor lizard as the emblem could work.
BRISBANE BITE!!!

20200615_141329.jpg

(Goanna logo)
Green, White, Gold =Ipswich jets colors

Last edited:

greenBV4

Bench
One of the places that hasn't had many suggestions compared to others but in the grand scheme of things probably has a pretty good chance of being a thing one day is a second Melbourne team

Its harder than others because theres not really as much inpiration to draw from, and you would have to avoid any AFL related names

Here's some Ive thought of if anyone wants to add to or discuss:

Melbourne Bushrangers / Victorian Bushrangers - its been brought up in this thread before
Melbourne Spartans - close to the Titans but makes sense with the big greek population
Port Phillip Penguins - Aliteration, geographical name, local animal
Melbourne Maverics - Original name of the Storm
Melbourne Monarchs - Aliteration
Melbourne Possums - State fauna of Victoria
Melbourne Lead Beaters - its actually the leadbeaters possum
Melbourne Miners - Aliteration, gold themed for the gold rush, gold is the state mineral

T-Boon

Coach
One of the places that hasn't had many suggestions compared to others but in the grand scheme of things probably has a pretty good chance of being a thing one day is a second Melbourne team

Its harder than others because theres not really as much inpiration to draw from, and you would have to avoid any AFL related names

Here's some Ive thought of if anyone wants to add to or discuss:

Melbourne Bushrangers / Victorian Bushrangers - its been brought up in this thread before
Melbourne Spartans - close to the Titans but makes sense with the big greek population
Port Phillip Penguins - Aliteration, geographical name, local animal
Melbourne Maverics - Original name of the Storm
Melbourne Monarchs - Aliteration
Melbourne Possums - State fauna of Victoria
Melbourne Lead Beaters - its actually the leadbeaters possum
Melbourne Miners - Aliteration, gold themed for the gold rush, gold is the state mineral

melbourne needs a second team eventually but it should be a relocation of a Sydney team. Melbourne Bears or Melbourne Sharks.

mongoose

Coach
actually i think Melb 2 is a good opportunity for relocation. Melb is a place you can bank on having at least a few thousand expat supporters of any team, but there is also enough people there who have no biases towards NRL teams (unlike Brisbane). It's probably what the Bears should be aiming for- Melbourne or Adelaide.

flippikat

Bench
actually i think Melb 2 is a good opportunity for relocation. Melb is a place you can bank on having at least a few thousand expat supporters of any team, but there is also enough people there who have no biases towards NRL teams (unlike Brisbane). It's probably what the Bears should be aiming for- Melbourne or Adelaide.

I've long said that Adelaide Bears is a great fit.

There's a similar narrative to South Melbourne moving to Sydney in AFL (traditional club, with a long drought) and the team colours are a nice synergy with SA.