What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

F.O Andrew Webster

Rich102

Staff member
The difference is last season he was a new coach with new ideas, the players bought into it and gave their best. It brought success which instilled confidence. Albeit there were flaws, poor use of the bench, selection issues etc.
This year he has stuck to his template but it hasn't worked as well; other teams have been coached to counter his style, injury problems etc. The team is not as confident in his decisions. So they don't put-in 100%. You only need to come off your peak by 3-4% for the results to really drop.
Webster is the best coach we have had for a long time, maybe since Daniel Anderson, but how he adapts to this challenge could really define his tenure.

Just an aside. I would rather give a developing player a chance than put up with mediocrity.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Webster has no doubt been sub-par this year. Probably give him a 3 out of 10, two of those earned through the three-match winning streak. Although even that needs a bit of an asterisk next to it, given the line-up that was found to win matches was only stumbled upon with injuries.

There wouldn't be a coach in the game who hasn't gone through what Webster is now, whether that's Bennett, Cleary, Bellamy or anyone. I'm not saying he's those guys, but a lot more faith and time is owed to this guy to work out what it takes to win NRL games and premierships.

Meth

Staff member
To me, yesterday, we were just out coached. Webster was embarrassed and exposed. He turned up with 17 players who looked unprepared, unmotivated and like they had nothing to play for. They were ambushed by the Titans and Des Hasler....again.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
To me, yesterday, we were just out coached. Webster was embarrassed and exposed. He turned up with 17 players who looked unprepared, unmotivated and like they had nothing to play for. They were ambushed by the Titans and Des Hasler....again.
Said it during the game day thread, over nearly 20 years it is absolutely exceptional the record Hasler has against the Warriors

He pulled that off with B team then a C team line up.

What Webster is experiencing happens evenřtually to all Warriors coaches.

Personnel Webster shouldn't need to motivate (looking at his biggest names) let him down.
.I understand why people are smarting right now.

But Webster can coach. No two ways about it.

That sharp direct game he put together before Johnson and Sheck returned was a revelation.

I feel sorry for SJ but he does not have the ability to take the line on like TMM, it's a combination of age and Johnson was more of a running 6 when he was young rather than a halfback.

So now Webster is stuck with old guys who can only play one way, therefore he has to make the best with what he has (last year it won him Dally M coach of the year).

The question we all have is....should Webster throw caution to the wind and shock everyone by throwing away 18 months of planning and use our recent winning future halves combo CHT and TMM.
I would love to see Webster try it, but I realize that in some ways would be an extremely reactive move. Not the kind of thing that you want your NRL coach to do on Monday morning after a bad loss, throw out the seniors....then you really have lost the dressing room.

It would be a reactive move if it was a 1 off game, but it's been 7 games in a row now with SJ in the team without a win.

sup42

Juniors
It would be a reactive move if it was a 1 off game, but it's been 7 games in a row now with SJ in the team without a win.

Agree with this if we are talking making one big call and sending someone down. Sending SJ would be the biggest call there is in Warriors history, but still legit in isolation after a pattern of concerning issues that are there week in week out.

Too reactive would be sending down Harris, SJ, and RTS all at the same time after a big loss, Psychologically, in a team environment, that would create the kind of media storm and negative attention that could trigger a spiral that collapses a Warriors season beyond recovery.

Which would place pressure on the B team to win NRL games without them which is fine if it works (it worked for three games) but if it fails then Webster would have placed himself on the chopping block for being a reactive knee jerk guy who vicariously admitted he had the wrong model and is throwing caution to the win on a gamble.

While a gambling coach would be refreshing, and in line with the people who even dream up these sack coach threads at a club with the worst history in the hundred NRL years of sacking coaches.....the last thing the Warriors organization needs is a maverick who sacks players left right and center and therefore makes himself a target.

If you were only allowed one reason to give for the Auckland Warriors nee New Zealand Warriors failures since nineteen ninety five, it is very clear that the sacking of coaches as a fan type knee jerk response to our eons of crap attitude players is the sole biggest contributor to why this club has never won a premiership.

If this outfit was run sensibly, people like Daniel Anderson and Ivan Cleary would have won the comp with ten year type long term planning and support.

The last thing the Warriors need is to sack their latest innovative star coach because a bunch of fans who have never coached anything in their lives think they are better couch coaches as soon as a real coach does not pick their preferred players.

Seen twenty years of that crap, and none of those fans pause to consider that their liked players might have stopped trying at training monday to Friday before the games kick off.

Sacking Warriors coaches is a trap for noobs based off team naming Tuesdays, no fan has a clue about who is abusing this club, I am talking the Konrad Hurrels eating pies, I am talking Manu and the pills and Red Bull,
Russel Packer threatening to beat up the CEO, Inu not showing up for training, Valea on his third warning coming late to training, AFB walking away from the team huddle and leaving the Captain Harris to give a speech with his best forward refusing to listen.

All this sack Webster stuff is a joke right?

You guys realize we have monkeys in our circus and the coach is the least of the problems right? which is why even Kearney had a great season before these clowns sabotaged him? Kearney was a straight up but thick as two planks guy, but he understood the Storm method by heart, which is why he is New Zealands greatest ever international coach and in a century no RL coach has even come close, it is also why Bellamy took him straight back, because Bellamy understood that the issue is the players and that the tough minded former Storm star Stephen Kearney who became a Bellamy Acolyte was never gonna be the reasont the Warriors struggled under his coaching.

Tis fascinating to me that When Webster joined the Warriors he began with a plan to copy Kearney.....focus on low errors, defence, and forget the attack till we earned it.

Dylyan Walker our new signing asked Webby if he would allow us to switch it up and do more attack last year, Walker says Webster told him no, I will tell you when it is time, right now I want you as a defensive player.

Last edited:

sup42

Juniors
Yeah I think it’s probably good for SJ to spend some time in NSW cup at this point. He’s gone into his shell, he just needs to relax and play some footy.

It is a real Shame Johnson was untouchable at the Warriors as a young player and never got return to cup time to round out his game. He had to go to the Sharks to become an organizer that does not just skp sideways or pull miracles out of his ass while the rest of the team had no idea what the set was for tackle five plays.

He might be a bit old now with no runway left to find the love in cup.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
It is a real Shame Johnson was untouchable at the Warriors as a young player and never got return to cup time to round out his game. He had to go to the Sharks to become an organizer that does not just skp sideways or pull miracles out of his ass while the rest of the team had no idea what the set was for tackle five plays.

He might be a bit old now with no runway left to find the love in cup.
If he’s not enjoying footy at whatever level it’s time to retire.

JJ

Immortal
Said it during the game day thread, over nearly 20 years it is absolutely exceptional the record Hasler has against the Warriors
He’s one of the best, no mistake. But to be fair he’s usually has better squads, not yesterday though and we should also remember they were missing probably their three best players.. or three of their best

sup42

Juniors
If he’s not enjoying footy at whatever level it’s time to retire.
This is a rare insight from a Warriors fan.

Very few if any I have read anywhere (from dedicated websites to social media) few if any have ever had the balls to ask the Question....does SJ want it still??

I guess as a Stacey Jones fan I learned to be aware of the age thing, that one day the greatest NZ player you have evr seen will have to call it and they wont know where that barrier is till they hit the wall.

sup42

Juniors

Hassler is the toughest trainer that Warringah has ever produced. So it is little wonder every association that he has had with the Warriors who are basically amateur tiny sport representatives has fallen heavily in Manlys favor.

If Hassler played Union he would have been a nobody, true story, a mere quaint story about being a great aussie in losing test sides.

I am an old dog League man from an ancient League family in this country. I have not seen a game of Union since the World cup in South Africa in the Madella year.

My old man lives in Manly and two of my Aussie based younger brothers played for Manly, The better of the two was a star in their under 18s.

When I think about Manly and the Warriors I think about how incredible it is that we even ended up in the same comp given the Warriors player catchment is missing a million Rugby Union playing kids who would thrash Manly in five seconds if they switched codes.

Hash tag Expansion outside of Auckland to the South Island, the Cantabs and the other provinces down south are tough mate and they would bury Hassler types for breakfast if they gave league a go.

Confession time, I hate Union because of a PE teacher in South Auckland that Caned me for playing league in the seventies, but I try to be a man of Logic.

If the NRL took over the codes in NZ would smash Australia all day long year in year out coz they struggle already against a Kiwis side that is missing literally hundreds of this countries best foot ball code players.....Hassler would be a ...yeah he was ok Aussie down there on a list of other ok Aussies the All Black machine playing league would destroy.

I guess what I am reminding you about Hassler and the Warriors is you can jump on an Aussie traitor buzz all you like but at the end of the day, League in NZ is a cripple sport, a cast off sport, playing on one leg against apparently the best you Aussie club sycophants have.

They are rubbish, Compared to this countries Union history. No Australian team in any sport has ever matched what this country has done in their chosen code.

If NZ switched to league they would have two and three and four clubs in the top of the NRL tomorrow and probably none of them would be the Warriors.

With a father and two brothers as actual Manly members I should probably be a supporter but I was born in NZ so for me the discussion ended there.

Last edited:

JJ

Immortal
Hassler is the toughest trainer that Warringah has ever produced. So it is little wonder every association that he has had with the Warriors who are basically amateur tiny sport representatives has fallen heavily in Manlys favor.

If Hassler played Union he would have been a nobody, true story, a mere quaint story about being a great aussie in losing test sides.

I am an old dog League man from an ancient League family in this country. I have not seen a game of Union since the World cup in South Africa in the Madella year.

My old man lives in Manly and two of my Aussie based younger brothers played for Manly, The better of the two was a star in their under 18s.

When I think about Manly and the Warriors I think about how incredible it is that we even ended up in the same comp given the Warriors player catchment is missing a million Rugby Union playing kids who would thrash Manly in five seconds if they switched codes.

Hash tag Expansion outside of Auckland to the South Island, the Cantabs and the other provinces down south are tough mate and they would bury Hassler types for breakfast if they gave league a go.
To be fair, Penrith produced him I think, Manly snapped him up pretty early

JJ

Immortal
He is one of my idols.

But people like Collin Meads and Richie McCaw. Buck Shelford would burry him bro in a Universe where this country played League.

Hassler, Wayne Pearce. Bradley CLyde would have met their match here had NZ switched to league.

This is why the South Island Franchise will save the code here and why Warriors fans against it are stupid.

A second franchise will be the making of the Warriors, they will force the Auckland players to go next level
Clyde was something else, loved watching him although I was a Penrith fan.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
This is a rare insight from a Warriors fan.

Very few if any I have read anywhere (from dedicated websites to social media) few if any have ever had the balls to ask the Question....does SJ want it still??

I guess as a Stacey Jones fan I learned to be aware of the age thing, that one day the greatest NZ player you have evr seen will have to call it and they wont know where that barrier is till they hit the wall.
I remember when Simon Mannering retired- we were questioning if it was early at first but he was 100% right to call time on his career and even said he’d hit a wall and wasn’t enjoying his footy any more.
I think in SJs case it was good as long as his body was holding up last year, but this year the injuries haven’t given him a break. Tohu too to a lesser extent.

Meth

Staff member
One thing that's important is that Johnson's last game in first grade can't be last weekend. He deserves better.

But does he have better? Or is he just in decline?

I think we just have so many problems right now that it seems odd to pick on one. Like, Johnson alone obviously isn't the reason for a 6-66 result.

But it is a problem. And we have to start eliminating problems.

Johnson's form has been problematic, all year.

RTS's form has been problematic, all year. When do we abandon the idea that he's going to be a gun centre.

We will have a profound lack of speed in our outside backs with the likes of Pompey, RTS and Montoya. Is DWZ our quickest player? He isn't quick.

Egan has dropped off considerably.

Jackson Ford.

AFB looks like he has already moved to the Shire and we looked bereft of leadership in the middle of the park without Barnett there.

Harris is tired.

Capewell has underperformed.

We aren't even introducing young, exciting talent like Laban, Sifakula, Maiu'u, Leiataua, Moala-Graham...now, granted, we don't want to be impatient and throw them in too quickly.

I don't know if all of these are actually problems or if there are problems that I don't see. But all of these problems have one person in common- Andrew Webster.

Rich102

Staff member
At least with the way the junior teams are performing, we are going to have a bigger talen pool to select from.

As far as speed goes isn't Metcalf the fastest?

Meth

Staff member
At least with the way the junior teams are performing, we are going to have a bigger talen pool to select from.

As far as speed goes isn't Metcalf the fastest?

Its nice that Metcalf has speed, but for a half to be our quickest player is an indictment in itself.