What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

F.O Andrew Webster

Pretty sure SJ was close to our fastest player in his early years too. Only Fisiahi was quicker from memory.
Yea I think you're right. Locke would've been close too but I think SJ shaded him.

Otherwise our outside backs during that 2011-2013ish period were guys like Manu, Koni, Ben Henry, Nielson, even Lewis Brown. Not many speed merchants there.

flippikat

Bench
The Warriors currently strike me as being where the Broncos were in 1990 - at the time they were at the crossroads between old BRL legends that played in the initial couple of seasons & up-and-coming talent that had more years in front of them - and how that generational change-over is handled is a big deal.

If we're not at the "make or break" time now, we're closely approaching it.

vvvrulz

Coach
The missus asked me this too, and I landed on Dallin, Metcalf, TMM and Tuaupiki as the only ones who seem to have a decent amount of speed - and Metcalf aside even those guys are not really that fast.

There's a reason we rarely score long range tries, and this is a problem when we solely rely on discipline and structure to get close to the opponent's line to do damage.

vvvrulz

Coach
Pretty sure SJ was close to our fastest player in his early years too. Only Fisiahi was quicker from memory.

Kevin Locke. James Maloney was surprisingly quick too.

Some fond memories coming back of the 07 days when we'd have McKinnon, Hohaia, Rovelli, Witt, Gatis and co. just flying through any half gap in the middle. Of our only current mob only Metcalf seems to accelerate like that out of nowhere.

Blair

Coach
Yea I think you're right. Locke would've been close too but I think SJ shaded him.

Otherwise our outside backs during that 2011-2013ish period were guys like Manu, Koni, Ben Henry, Nielson, even Lewis Brown. Not many speed merchants there.
I watched Manu go end-to-end in our do-or-die last round game at Penrith in 2014. No Panther was catching him. He was surprisingly quick.

I watched Manu go end-to-end in our do-or-die last round game at Penrith in 2014. No Panther was catching him. He was surprisingly quick.
Ah yes fair point, Manu’s top end was more than decent. Acceleration wasn’t lightning and turned like a truck but once he got up to speed he was moving alright.

Meth

Staff member
And how will Metcalf be returning from his injury? You'd imagine it'd impact his speed

sup42

Juniors
Dallins fast off the Mark and can do a length. We don't go wide early.

There is speed in the NSW cup but those boys are also smaller so have defensive problems that go along with being skinny wingers, still one of them will probably come good.

In the Centers Moala and Ali have short range speed enough to draw and pass for a quick Winger.

That said, it looks like we have a lot of aging players in both metrics of a team, the forwards are slowing and the backs.

Changing multiple people for Greenhorns is fraught with risk, primarily to your defensive system and delivery of structures in attack.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
One thing that's important is that Johnson's last game in first grade can't be last weekend. He deserves better.
I'm still convinced he's the guy to partner TMM until I see more - I just don't think as much of the ball should be going through him. And I think the uncontested bomb to the corner has done its dash.

The guy should have won a Dally M last year, I honestly feel like he's got something in the tank somewhere until I see enough to think he hasn't. But I guess he has to want to change, and Webster has to be able to challenge him strongly enough to change.

sup42

Juniors
Webster is already better than ninety percent of our coaches having dug us out of the last hole with three epic wins.

Few if any Warriors coaches could arrest a slide after a total collapse for the second time in short succession in a single season.

It is going to be interesting to see if Webster can pull it back, or whether we are as many fans expect showing all to familiar signs seen in seasons past.

The Senior playing group of your club have a bigger role in a teams resilience than the coach.

This thrashing is on the seniors, Simon Mannering carried this club on his back for a decade and saved the butts of a lot of lazy ne'er do wells.

We have a much deeper roster of senior players with reputations this era.

I do not believe in coaches motivating players, if an athlete needs motivating, a coach and a club has acquired the wrong athlete.

sup42

Juniors
Well Webster cant pick SJ this week. He's out for a month

Is that the hamstring someone mentioned bro?

Would be a shame if that is the way his career ends, however the NRL is not a nostalgia club.

My wish list would see TMM and CHT thrive again over the next run of games. To rescue our season we have to neutralize games where we lost to clubs we should have competed against, dropped games in other words, and the only way to do that is to beat top four quality sides....sigh....we have to beat the Broncos....beat the Broncos and we erase the Titans nightmare.

In a perfect world the Warriors find their mojo without Shaun (since day dreaming is free I would wager it would even better to win games without AFB).....but yeah my wish lists goes something like....Warriors click without SJ....make the finals.....SJ comes back fully fit and is 17th man on the bench giving the Warriors silly spine depth in a finals run.

Oh wait....I think a Ünicorn just flew past my window.....

Last edited:

nswarrior

Juniors
Webster is already better than ninety percent of our coaches having dug us out of the last hole with three epic wins.

Few if any Warriors coaches could arrest a slide after a total collapse for the second time in short succession in a single season.

It is going to be interesting to see if Webster can pull it back, or whether we are as many fans expect showing all to familiar signs seen in seasons past.

The Senior playing group of your club have a bigger role in a teams resilience than the coach.

This thrashing is on the seniors, Simon Mannering carried this club on his back for a decade and saved the butts of a lot of lazy ne'er do wells.

We have a much deeper roster of senior players with reputations this era.

I do not believe in coaches motivating players, if an athlete needs motivating, a coach and a club has acquired the wrong athlete.
What actually happened in that game? Why were we so bad

sup42

Juniors
What actually happened in that game? Why were we so bad.

Funnily enough it was the first game I missed this season. We had my mothers 80th, family flying in from as far off as Oklahoma.We are a league family that would normally sit down and watch games on birthdays...hell I grew up with me Mum baking special cakes for Kiwis tests vs the Kangaroos.

But we decided to ignore the game and have Karaoke and dance music for the teenage Grand children instead.

Good fortune indeed, it would have ruined the night to play the game hey.

I did sit through the replay on Tuesday, it was rugged viewing.

I have to say that the entitled Warrior fan sentiment that says Warriors good Titans bad was well wrong in the opening.

Mate the Titans scored some awesome Try's as they did the first time they thumped us.

To me it looks like the Titans just decided this year that they are sick of being bullied by the Warriors and they stood up and targeted our games as their best resilience challenge.

Try one by the Titans was excellent face ball at the line crisp passing to beat the man and put a player on the edge to score, not many teams stop that.

Blood lust up, they poured it on some more. While Warriors fans cried about misreads they missed the point that the Titans rapid shift was as good as it gets in this comp.

Try two was more of the same, coaching brilliance, a cut back in on the inside pass that saw a Titan go over un opposed, while that makes us look bad it is a top draw strike by any team, something we would be gagging about had we done it to anyone else.

I am talking about a structure set play that carved us open, not some weak defence on our part giving away a free shot like you read .

Third Try Jazz fell off completely. Which is rare for Jazz, but if it happens, then one can only circle the wagons and try to reset our lads to try to wrestle back control.

Try four Jayden Campbell makes a lethal run at our line off a Reff stacked six again scenario, he gets chopped down in a beautiful defensive tackle but he throws a miracle ball from off the ground and it sticks for a 24 nil scenario.

Now at this juncture in game day threads Warriors fans are fingering defenders when they should probably realise they are being hunted and are getting a pumping by a side that is playing hail Mary ball.

In truth by the time it was 24 nil the Warriors had been thrashed by one of the best attacks rolled out in this comp this year.

We try a hit back, our last hope, Jackson Ford drops the ball over the line. hit back ended. After that we collapsed and Hassler orchestrated the rape of the Warriors.

Thing we should acknowledge is that the Titans two best games of the season have been against their bullie boys the Warriors. More credit needs paying to the Titans than hatred paid out against the Warriors.

Last edited:
Funnily enough it was the first game I missed this season. We had my mothers 80th, family flying in from as far off as Oklahoma.We are a league family that would normally sit down and watch games on birthdays...hell I grew up with me Mum baking special cakes for Kiwis tests vs the Kangaroos.

But we decided to ignore the game and have Karaoke and dance music for the teenage Grand children instead.

Good fortune indeed, it would have ruined the night to play the game hey.

I did sit through the replay on Tuesday, it was rugged viewing.

I have to say that the entitled Warrior fan sentiment that says Warriors good Titans bad was well wrong in the opening.

Mate the Titans scored some awesome Try's as they did the first time they thumped us.

To me it looks like the Titans just decided this year that they are sick of being bullied by the Warriors and they stood up and targeted our games as their best resilience challenge.

Try one by the Titans was excellent face ball at the line crisp passing to beat the man and put a player on the edge to score, not many teams stop that.

Blood lust up, they poured it on some more. While Warriors fans cried about misreads they missed the point that the Titans rapid shift was as good as it gets in this comp.

Try two was more of the same, coaching brilliance, a cut back in on the inside pass that saw a Titan go over un opposed, while that makes us look bad it is a top draw strike by any team, something we would be gagging about had we done it to anyone else.

I am talking about a structure set play that carved us open, not some weak defence on our part giving away a free shot like you read in here.

Third Try Jazz fell off completely. Which is rare for Jazz, but if it happens, then one can only circle the wagons and try to reset our lads to try to wrestle back control.

Try four Jayden Campbell makes a lethal run at our line off a Reff stacked six again scenario, he gets chopped down in a beautiful defensive tackle but with the Titans blood lust he throws a miracle ball from off the ground and it sticks for a 24 nil scenario.

Now at this juncture in game day threads Warriors fans are fingering defenders when they should probably realise they are being hunted and are getting a pumping by a side that is playing hail Mary 'we hate the Warriors ball.

In truth by the time it was 24 nil the Warriors had been thrashed by one of the best attacks rolled out in this comp this year.

We try a hit back, our last hope, Jackson Ford drops the ball over the line. hit back ended. After that we collapsed and Hassler orchestrated the rape of the Warriors.

Thing we should acknowledge is that the Titans two best games of the season have been against their bullie boys the Warriors. More credit needs paying to the Titans than hatred paid out against the Warriors.
So it was your fault lol