What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

F1 WDC thrown wide open

ledzep

Bench
Alonso's been hit with a 2 second penalty in qualifying for two different incidents :lol: :lol: :lol:
This leaves the race wide open for Schumacher to further cut Alonso's lead of 11 points
C'arn Schumi!!!!

salivor

First Grade
After last night it's down to 10 points in the drivers championship and 7 in the constructors but the gap should've been cut further if Michael hadn't bloody well run into Heidfield 3 laps out from the finish.

Gotta say though, I was drifting away from Forumla 1 for a couple of years yet but the Alonso v Schumacher rivalry has really made it interesting. Michaels right under that little weasel's skin and it'd be a brave man to say he can't make it world title number 8 the way that Ferrari is going (as long as it doesn't rain in the remaining 5 races).

WooKiie

Juniors
i didn't see what happened at the end, but how uncharacteristic of him to run into Heidfield with three laps to go and knowing already alonso's not going to add any more points. who's 'fault' was it (though probably deemed a racing incident)?

but yea , the business end of the championship now, going to be very interesting what ensues in the remaining five(?) races. going to watch each one intently.

salivor

First Grade
We never got a clear replay of the incident but Heidfield continued to finish 3rd while Schumacher could barely turn the car to get into the pits it was that bad. The real problem was that his tires were shot at that point and De La Rosa and Heidfield were lapping about 4 seconds quicker than him but he was trying to keep them behind him which was always going to be near impossible, he should've let them through and limped home to the finish and take as many points as he could.

hrundi99

First Grade
Schumacher has had too many of these types of incidents in his career to be grouped with the likes of Senna, Prost et al.

Alonso's a weasel? I thought that was Schumacher...

Jimbo

Immortal
hrundi99 said:
Schumacher has had too many of these types of incidents in his career to be grouped with the likes of Senna, Prost et al.

I'm guessing you didn't see much of Senna's career then...

salivor

First Grade
hrundi99 said:

lol, Senna lived for drama, pull the other one.

Yes Alonso is a weasel and cracking under the pressure currently. With comments this year like the season is easier than last, just show a total lack of respect for a 7 time world champion. I wonder if he feels the same now that the heat has been turned up on him by the best of all time?

Knightmare

Coach
Jimbo said:

The "team orders" policy at McLaren? Running other drivers off the road and then claiming "I didn't see him"? Winning championships tainted by race bans for ignoring black flags and running illegal cars? Taking a stop-go penalty after the finish of a race and then claiming your radio wasn't working? Parking your car in the second last corner at Monaco conveniantly enough in a spot blocking other drivers from doing a fast lap?
Hang on.....

Jimbo

Immortal
Knightmare said:
The "team orders" policy at McLaren?

You mean the deal with Prost which Senna ignored at San Marino in '89?

Running other drivers off the road and then claiming "I didn't see him"?

You mean when Senna hit Prost squarely in the back at the first corner in Suzuka in '90?

Winning championships tainted by race bans for ignoring black flags and running illegal cars?

You're referring to a witch-hunt in one championship

What have you got from the other six?

Taking a stop-go penalty after the finish of a race and then claiming your radio wasn't working?

Something allowed by the rules

Parking your car in the second last corner at Monaco conveniantly enough in a spot blocking other drivers from doing a fast lap?

Something Schumacher received no further penalty for, because the telemetry proved no deliberate wrongdoing

Hang on.....

Indeed...

Knightmare

Coach
Jimbo said:
You mean the deal with Prost which Senna ignored at San Marino in '89?

You mean when Senna hit Prost squarely in the back at the first corner in Suzuka in '90?

You're referring to a witch-hunt in one championship

What have you got from the other six?

Something allowed by the rules

Something Schumacher received no further penalty for, because the telemetry proved no deliberate wrongdoing

Indeed...

1. The deal was no passing at the first corner in 1989. Tamburello wasn't counted as a corner, telemetry shows Senna ducked inside Prost before the Tosa corner.

2. Senna didn't hit Prost in the back at Suzuka. He hit him side on. To cut a long story short (read Karin Sturm's biography on him for more info) Senna had been screwed over by Jean Marie Balestre (FISA president) at Suzuka in '89 and in 1990 it looked like it was going to happen again. Senna's attitude was that he wasn't going to back off going into the first corner, no matter what. If you watch the telemetry, at the start Prost actually veers the other way, leaving a huge gap before deciding to take the racing line at the last moment, where Senna was on the inside. At best it's a 50/50 incident but people like Murray Walker put all the blame on Senna because Prost was a Ferarri driver and we all know how much Muz loves the boys from Maranello.

3. Not just the illegal car in 1994. There was the illegal fuel at the start of 1995, as well as engineer Tad Czapski and his magic computer that got plugged into Schumi's Ferrari before every race in 1998. That is, until Ron Dennis told Jean Todt he was thinking of reporting Ferrari to the FIA for examination into illegal engine-mapping. After that, Tad and his laptop were never seen again. Funny that....

4. Do you really think Schumacher's radio wasn't working? How conveniant!

5. Kind of funny that Schumacher made NO attempt whatsoever to move the car, it seemed perfectly fine a moment before.

Whenevr F1 Racing polls those in the know and who've been involved in the sport for decades, Senna is still always voted the greatest Formula 1 driver ever. Schumacher has never even made number 2, and he never will, because he lacks the class of those before him.

Jimbo

Immortal
Knightmare said:
1. The deal was no passing at the first corner in 1989. Tamburello wasn't counted as a corner, telemetry shows Senna ducked inside Prost before the Tosa corner.

Tosa, being the first corner, is where the pass was completed

2. Senna didn't hit Prost in the back at Suzuka. He hit him side on. To cut a long story short (read Karin Sturm's biography on him for more info) Senna had been screwed over by Jean Marie Balestre (FISA president) at Suzuka in '89 and in 1990 it looked like it was going to happen again. Senna's attitude was that he wasn't going to back off going into the first corner, no matter what. If you watch the telemetry, at the start Prost actually veers the other way, leaving a huge gap before deciding to take the racing line at the last moment, where Senna was on the inside. At best it's a 50/50 incident but people like Murray Walker put all the blame on Senna because Prost was a Ferarri driver and we all know how much Muz loves the boys from Maranello.

Photographers standing at turn one reported that Senna didn't even lift off the throttle. He hit Prost hard enough to snap off his rear wing, at the first corner of a Grand Prix with 24 other cars bearing down on them. If anything, Senna is lucky that both cars went straight into the gravel trap, otherwise fate might have taken him four years early...

Senna's squabble with Balestre is irrelevant. You're trying to defend the worst display of poor sportsmanship in the 56 year history of Formula One

3. Not just the illegal car in 1994. There was the illegal fuel at the start of 1995, as well as engineer Tad Czapski and his magic computer that got plugged into Schumi's Ferrari before every race in 1998. That is, until Ron Dennis told Jean Todt he was thinking of reporting Ferrari to the FIA for examination into illegal engine-mapping. After that, Tad and his laptop were never seen again. Funny that....

The fuel problem was Elf's fault, and involved other teams

Every car has a laptop plugged into it at the start of every race. That's how they fire them up these days...

4. Do you really think Schumacher's radio wasn't working? How conveniant!

It is irrelevant

The pitlane is part of the racetrack

5. Kind of funny that Schumacher made NO attempt whatsoever to move the car, it seemed perfectly fine a moment before.

It's a bit hard to move his car with the engine dead...

Whenevr F1 Racing polls those in the know and who've been involved in the sport for decades, Senna is still always voted the greatest Formula 1 driver ever. Schumacher has never even made number 2, and he never will, because he lacks the class of those before him.

Obviously you've seen different polls than I have. Probably British journos like Nigel Roebuck who has hated Schumacher ever since he showed up Damon Hill for the useless plonker he was

The facts speak for themselves - Schumacher has more race wins, fastest laps, pole positions and championships than Senna

And he has been consistently dominant for a far greater period

Knightmare

Coach
Jimbo said:
Tosa, being the first corner, is where the pass was completed

Photographers standing at turn one reported that Senna didn't even lift off the throttle. He hit Prost hard enough to snap off his rear wing, at the first corner of a Grand Prix with 24 other cars bearing down on them. If anything, Senna is lucky that both cars went straight into the gravel trap, otherwise fate might have taken him four years early...

Senna's squabble with Balestre is irrelevant. You're trying to defend the worst display of poor sportsmanship in the 56 year history of Formula One

The fuel problem was Elf's fault, and involved other teams

Every car has a laptop plugged into it at the start of every race. That's how they fire them up these days...

It is irrelevant

The pitlane is part of the racetrack

It's a bit hard to move his car with the engine dead...

Obviously you've seen different polls than I have. Probably British journos like Nigel Roebuck who has hated Schumacher ever since he showed up Damon Hill for the useless plonker he was

The facts speak for themselves - Schumacher has more race wins, fastest laps, pole positions and championships than Senna

And he has been consistently dominant for a far greater period

1. Like I stated before, the pass was completed before they were in the actual corner, therefore nullifying the pre-race agreement.

2. That first bend at Suzuka can be taken flat before the sharper turn. Either way, Prost left a gap open wide for Senna to go for. Prost probably had the superior car. Having been Senna's team-mate for 2 seasons, he should have known Senna would try a desperate move. Prost could have surrendered that first turn to Senna, stayed with him and waited to plot his move in a Ferrari that was probably better than the McLaren that year. To call it the "worst act of sportsmanship in 56 years" and then come out in support of Schumacher> :crazy: :lol: Nearly as good as a Sharks fan calling someone else's team "chokers".

3. Sure that might be how they fire them up "these days" but maybe not so much back in 1998. Also interesting that before Schumacher arrived, Ferrari were never shrouded with allegations of cheating or resorted to questionable race tactics. That only started when boy wonder joined in 1996. As for the old foes Benetton, they hardly caused a fuss again after Wunderkind was gone. Funny that.

4. Because Schumacher wasn't disqualified for taking his stop-go after the race was over, that means it was perfectly fine. Well Senna wasn't disqualified after Suzuka 1990 either, so that's fine too.

5. Strange how it would just cut out so suddenly. Other drivers never seem to have a problem making an attempt to move their cars off the racing line. For the best driver in the world, Schumi isn't too good at it, it seems.

6. FYI, every poll I've seen has involved more than 100 people involved from all aspects of the sport at all different times. Time and time again not just Senna but Fangio and Clark are rated against Wunderkind.

7. Senna raced for 11 seasons against the likes of Lauda, Rosberg, Prost, Mansell etc. Scumacher has been driving for 16 (and counting) and for most of that time has competed in shrunken fields with a technically superior Ferrari and team-mates (Irvine, Barrichello) who were more than happy to drive around and let Wunderkind in front when they were asked to. Schumi has only JUST eclipsed Senna's record for Pole Positions. I'm sure Senna could easily have stacked up more race wins, championships, pole positions etc. but you must understand it's kind of hard to do that when you've been dead for 12 years.

Jimbo

Immortal
Knightmare said:
1. Like I stated before, the pass was completed before they were in the actual corner, therefore nullifying the pre-race agreement.

Your view

Prost's view was very different

2. That first bend at Suzuka can be taken flat before the sharper turn. Either way, Prost left a gap open wide for Senna to go for. Prost probably had the superior car. Having been Senna's team-mate for 2 seasons, he should have known Senna would try a desperate move. Prost could have surrendered that first turn to Senna, stayed with him and waited to plot his move in a Ferrari that was probably better than the McLaren that year. To call it the "worst act of sportsmanship in 56 years" and then come out in support of Schumacher> :crazy: :lol: Nearly as good as a Sharks fan calling someone else's team "chokers".

If both cars were flat out, how could Senna have hit Prost hard enough to snap off his rear wing?

Perhaps you could also explain why Senna admitted a year later that he deliberately took out Prost as "payback?"

3. Sure that might be how they fire them up "these days" but maybe not so much back in 1998.

It was like that when I saw my first live Grand Prix in 1992

Perhaps all the teams fitted batteries and starter motors in 1998, and then changed back again in 1999?

Also interesting that before Schumacher arrived, Ferrari were never shrouded with allegations of cheating or resorted to questionable race tactics. That only started when boy wonder joined in 1996. As for the old foes Benetton, they hardly caused a fuss again after Wunderkind was gone. Funny that.

The stench that is the British motorsport press obviously followed him from Benetton to Ferrari

4. Because Schumacher wasn't disqualified for taking his stop-go after the race was over, that means it was perfectly fine.

According to the rules and subsequent review by the FIA, yes

Well Senna wasn't disqualified after Suzuka 1990 either, so that's fine too.

Although he should have been

No driver in the history of motorsport is more responsible for the degradation of driving standards than Ayrton Senna

5. Strange how it would just cut out so suddenly. Other drivers never seem to have a problem making an attempt to move their cars off the racing line. For the best driver in the world, Schumi isn't too good at it, it seems.

If it's man-made, it can break. Ask Nigel Mansell

It's also not uncommon for a broken down car to get stuck in gear, as the hydraulic system on a modern F1 car shuts down as soon as the engine goes

6. FYI, every poll I've seen has involved more than 100 people involved from all aspects of the sport at all different times. Time and time again not just Senna but Fangio and Clark are rated against Wunderkind.

Opinions are like arseholes...

7. Senna raced for 11 seasons against the likes of Lauda, Rosberg, Prost, Mansell etc. Scumacher has been driving for 16 (and counting) and for most of that time has competed in shrunken fields with a technically superior Ferrari and team-mates (Irvine, Barrichello) who were more than happy to drive around and let Wunderkind in front when they were asked to. Schumi has only JUST eclipsed Senna's record for Pole Positions. I'm sure Senna could easily have stacked up more race wins, championships, pole positions etc. but you must understand it's kind of hard to do that when you've been dead for 12 years.

Senna was 34 when he died. At best, he probably only had one or two more seasons in him

Schumacher is 37, and has been told by all and sundry that he is too old and should quit. At 34, he wrapped up his sixth title, double Senna's tally

Senna's car was the class of the field in 1988, 89, 90, and was pretty close in 87, 91 and 94. Schumacher has only really had a distinct car advantage in 1994 and 2002-2004

As for team orders, perhaps you could ask Martin Brundle, Gerhard Berger or Michael Andretti what Senna's real opinion was?

Knightmare

Coach
Jimbo said:
Your view

Prost's view was very different

If both cars were flat out, how could Senna have hit Prost hard enough to snap off his rear wing?

Perhaps you could also explain why Senna admitted a year later that he deliberately took out Prost as "payback?"

It was like that when I saw my first live Grand Prix in 1992

Perhaps all the teams fitted batteries and starter motors in 1998, and then changed back again in 1999?

The stench that is the British motorsport press obviously followed him from Benetton to Ferrari

According to the rules and subsequent review by the FIA, yes

Although he should have been

No driver in the history of motorsport is more responsible for the degradation of driving standards than Ayrton Senna

If it's man-made, it can break. Ask Nigel Mansell

It's also not uncommon for a broken down car to get stuck in gear, as the hydraulic system on a modern F1 car shuts down as soon as the engine goes

Opinions are like arseholes...

Senna was 34 when he died. At best, he probably only had one or two more seasons in him

Schumacher is 37, and has been told by all and sundry that he is too old and should quit. At 34, he wrapped up his sixth title, double Senna's tally

Senna's car was the class of the field in 1988, 89, 90, and was pretty close in 87, 91 and 94. Schumacher has only really had a distinct car advantage in 1994 and 2002-2004

As for team orders, perhaps you could ask Martin Brundle, Gerhard Berger or Michael Andretti what Senna's real opinion was?

1. Of course Prost's view would be very different. He's not going to say "It was my fault I was naive enough to give Senna room." is he? Senna's words were "I contributed to it (the accident) but I wasn't responsible." This became (largely) distorted to "I took Prost out on purpose." Either way, it's still a LOT more believable than "I didn't see him." Mark 1, 2 or 3...

2. I am aware that teams had been using laptops since they became available n the 80's. But in 1998, this was happening out on the grid, just before the start of the race, and the manner in which it was being carried out by Ferrari was quite suspicious, especially seeing as pictures had surfaced from the wet British Grand Prix in which Schumacher appeared to be having no problems whatsoever with wheelspin on a slippery track.

3. Nice scapegoat, the British press. You believe their demonising of Senna during the Prost/ Mansell years yet all that stuff about Schumacher cheating was made up by them because they're still bitter about the war? Is that it?

4. Like Schumacher should have been disqualified for his blatant take-out of Damon Hill at Adelaide in 1994? I will admit that Suzuka 1990 was the lowest point in Senna's career (guilty or not), but that was the only time that springs to mind. Schumacher's career reads like a kaleidoscope of cheating, dangerous driving and poor sportsmanship- yet you want to accuse Senna of degrading the whole sport of Formula 1 over one incident?

5. Schumacher was travelling just fine, then he made a mistake coming out of the corner. There was no tracable damage on the car and he should have been able to keep going, yet just like that he stopped, when his pole position time was looking like it may be under threat. Knowing how Schumacher has dealt with pressure in the past when he hasn't had team-mates or illegal cars to help him out, myself (and many others) couldn't help but be suspicious.

6. True. But the majority don't see Schumacher as the greatest ever. The same reason that alot of people would never say the Bulldogs are the greatest club in the NRL- their past is too littered with controversy and allegations of foul play or obvious rorting. In many ways, Schumacher is the Canterbury Bulldogs of Formula 1. Has great records to show, but history will be forever tainted.

7. It's my belief that, had he lived, Senna would have retired in 1997 or '98. And I think he would have finished his career with Ferrari (who'd wanted him for years) or gone back to McLaren. The McLaren was only the class of the field in 1988-89. In 1990 the Ferrari was a more reliable, better car (had a semi-automatic while the McLaren didn't). In 1987, I'd rank the Lotus third behind the Williams and the Ferraris. In 1991 I agree, the McLaren was probably just behind the Williams but had better reliability. In 1994 (at the start anyway) the Williams was a difficult car, still being developed. It's a full credit to Senna that he managed to get it on pole for all the races he started in '94. Schumacher has had a distinct car advantage way more than what you stated. Keke Rosberg made the statement that Schumacher critiscises his car so that people think it's his driving that wins the races. I agree that the Williams in 1996 and the McLaren's of 1998-99 were better cars probably, but the Ferrari has had fantastic reliability- way better reliability than most of the cars Senna drove. Also of note- in 1993 the Benetton Schumacher was driving had superior Ford engines to the McLaren Senna was in, yet Senna won 5 races that year and came second only to Alain Prost in a technologically superior Williams. Same as at the start of '94- the Benetton was a better car than the Williams, yet Senna got it on pole all three times.

8. You mean, did Senna perceive himself as the number 1 driver? Of course he did! Also on the note of Senna's relationship with Prost during their time at McLaren, you would do well to read Nigel Mansell's autobiography and find out the reasons why Mansell thought of quitting F1 at the end of 1990. Senna wasn't the only one who had problems with Prost.

hrundi99

First Grade
Jimbo said:

I watched Senna's career since his days at Toleman, and I've attended Grands Prix since 1985, so I'm well and truly qualified thanks.

I'm with KM on this.

Schumacher is a big fish in a small pond, and has shown enough poor sportsmanship in his career for it to be forever sullied.

I thought he was softening up until he pulled that idiotic move at Monaco.

Knightmare

Coach
I remember back in 1997 when Jacques Villeneuve was acting like a smug prima-donna my folks and I thought Schumi was softening up too. Then came Jerez....

Jimbo

Immortal
hrundi99 said:
I watched Senna's career since his days at Toleman, and I've attended Grands Prix since 1985, so I'm well and truly qualified thanks.

I'm with KM on this.

Schumacher is a big fish in a small pond, and has shown enough poor sportsmanship in his career for it to be forever sullied.

Do you think anything Schumacher has done compares with Suzuka 1990?

If Schumacher's career has to be sullied, why isn't Senna's?

Knightmare

Coach
But Senna IS sullied (by Murray Walker for one, as well as Jackie Stewart at the time). The reason may be that, after being screwed over by the authorities at Suzuka in 1989, Senna wasn't going to let them do him over again. Schumacher had no reason, no past motivation to drive so desparately against Hill but he did. Same as at Jerez in 1997, you'd think he would have learned his lesson from 3 years earlier.

Jimbo

Immortal
Knightmare said:
But Senna IS sullied (by Murray Walker for one, as well as Jackie Stewart at the time). The reason may be that, after being screwed over by the authorities at Suzuka in 1989, Senna wasn't going to let them do him over again.

So Senna took the law into his own hands and brought the sport into disrepute

Surely you can see the folly of this argument?

Then again, as an Andrew Johns fan, maybe you can't

Schumacher had no reason, no past motivation to drive so desparately against Hill but he did. Same as at Jerez in 1997, you'd think he would have learned his lesson from 3 years earlier.

On both occasions he was defending a lead with the World Championship at stake

On neither occasion did Schumacher turn in early to block. He was on the racing line both times

On neither occasion did the overtaker draw level

Hill should have been more patient, whereas Villeneuve dived in so hard and late that if Schumacher hadn't have turned in he would have ended up in the gravel trap

Senna hit Prost squarely in the back without lifting off the throttle

Draw your own conclusions

Knightmare

Coach
Where did I ever say I was an Andrew Johns fan?
Like Adelaide 1994 and Jerez 1997, Suzuka 1990 was a race for the title. If you want to go on defending Schumacher fair enough, but I leave you with this story, as told by Mika Hakkinen in a 1998 interview with F1 Racing...

In 1990 Mika Hakkinen and Michael Schumacher were both driving Formula 3. They were competing in the prestigious Macau F3 race and it was in its' dying stages. Schumacher was leading, Hakkinen was second and gaining on Schumacher. Coming out of a corner, Schumacher made a mistake which enabled Hakkinen to get up alongside him on the run to the next corner. However, going into the corner Schumacher turned straight into the apex, cutting across Hakkinen causing him to spin and retire. After the race, Schumacher came up and said "I'm really sorry, I didn't see you in my mirrors." Hakkinen accepted his apology. Then a few days later, Hakkinen was watching a German sports channel in which Schumacher was being interviewed. Talking about the race, Schumacher said he'd seen Hakkinen coming up alongside him so he cut across Hakkinen to block him. Hakkinen said he never forgot that.

Latest posts