What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Faf du Plessis charged with ball tampering

Bazal

Post Whore
Mate,the enzymes in saliva start to break down sugars immediately. There's scientifically no way there is enough sugar from one lolly in all that saliva to have any effect unless he rubs the lolly on the ball. All he's done is use extra saliva generated by sucking the lolly, it's no different to gum.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Faf has been looked at twice now for dubious tactics, once when he was thought to have roughed the ball up on a zipper and now this.

I dont call him a cheat but hes getting close to the line.

JJ

Immortal
Already have far too many South Africans here, perhaps Perth or Brisbane?

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
always is, like they did with Harbajan

he'll get suspended once the series is over is my guess, unless its just s fine

T-Boon

Coach
I loved seeing the SA team roughing up the channel nine reporter at the air port yesterday. He looked like a total piece of trash.
A bully thug hired for the job of harassing people. I wish he'd have been bashed.

El Diablo

Post Whore
cheat

http://www.espncricinfo.com/australia-v-south-africa-2016-17/content/story/1067718.html

Du Plessis found guilty, but free to play in Adelaide
ESPNcricinfo staff

South Africa's captain Faf du Plessis has been found guilty of ball-tampering and fined his entire match fee from the Hobart Test, but will be free to play in Adelaide this week.

The charge, laid by ICC chief executive David Richardson, related to clause 2.2.9 of the ICC's Code of Conduct, which deals with "changing the condition of the ball" in breach of the Laws of Cricket. The Laws of Cricket, in turn, allow that players may "polish the ball provided that no artificial substance is used and that such polishing wastes no time".

In laying the charge, the ICC had said that "TV footage appeared to show du Plessis applying saliva and residue from a mint or sweet, an artificial substance, to the ball in an attempt to change its condition" during the Hobart Test. Du Plessis pleaded not guilty to the charge and faced a lengthy hearing before ICC match referee Andy Pycroft in Adelaide on Tuesday.

On Tuesday evening, the ICC said in a statement: "The decision was based on the evidence given from the umpires, who confirmed that had they seen the incident they would have taken action immediately, and from Mr Stephenson [MCC head of cricket John Stephenson], who confirmed the view of MCC that the television footage showed an artificial substance being transferred to the ball."

In addition to the fine, three demerit points have been added to the disciplinary record of du Plessis for what was deemed a first offence. If du Plessis reaches four or more demerit points within a two-year period, they will be converted into suspension points and he would face a ban.

Wizardman

First Grade
He should have missed a game. Regardless of if what Faf did was effective or not, he seemed to think it would be by doing what he did in the first place. It is against the spirit of the game.

Iafeta

Referee
You blokes are a bunch of angels. I've played in teams where blokes got extra hair gel from scratching their head, and rubbed it over the ball. Ive seen a few blokes rub the shiz out of the ball on their pants which they had spilt clear sugary liquid on.

There are so many things that go on against the spirit of the game that you just never hear about.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Pretty soft, really should have sat out a game for mine. There is no real incentive to stop ball tampering so it will continue.

Latest posts