What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fan ownership model

DlEHARD

Juniors
I signed up as interested. My brother is a huge Storm fan.

Titans owners have stated that they want to go down the fan ownership model in the future, so I will follow this closely.

macavity

Referee
Most clubs in the comp are fan owned.

Melb, Bris, NQ, NZ and GC only exceptions aren’t they?

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Most clubs in the comp are fan owned.

Melb, Bris, NQ, NZ and GC only exceptions aren’t they?

The concept of fan ownership is fairly loose.

Basically, if members can vote for a director, they arguably “own” the club.

The thing is, that model of electing dorectors can exist under ANY ownership structure. So im always sceptical of any bid that offers it.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Buy a membership at the Leagues Club. The Leagues Club owns the Football Club. The members are the owners.

This ain't revolutionary stuff in Australian sport.

Bit different though, that’s a membership,to a leagues club. You could be a pokie addict and not give a frick about nrl and still be a LC member. This is shares in the ownership of the nrl sports club which is quite different.

Fire

First Grade
This along with other facts were sent with the announcement to members emails

compared to the AFL it seems the Storm are a lot smaller than they are down here, but the stats show the proof
View attachment 23998
Watch those number crash as Storm becomes the new Parramatta over the next 25 years (sorry Parra fans, no offence).

Lambretta

First Grade
Agreed, with one exception.

NRL will never let it happen.

After 20 years and some of the best teams ever assembled the lack of interest in Melbourne really is staggering.

I go down there 1-3/ month and there are many times during the NRL season there is next to nothing in the papers.

Don't let print media be a yardstick of anything down there
The AFL will deny papers / journalists access to players and clubs in their game if the print media give Rugby League any form of positive feedback

The AFL dictates what goes into the papers

Let memberships and crowds be a better yardstick

siv

First Grade
Love how the Melbourne aspire to be run in the offield structure as Parramatta

Bit different though, that’s a membership,to a leagues club. You could be a pokie addict and not give a frick about nrl and still be a LC member. This is shares in the ownership of the nrl sports club which is quite different.

Cronulla has two separate memberships. Leagues club and Football Club. You can nominate to be a member of the football club, turn up to the AGMs and vote in the directors etc. Get enough members organised you can take over the club. That's ownership bud.

typicalfan

Coach
Most guys I speak to down their do mention the Storm when I say I am a rl fan. Some are casual fans maybe some arent fans but mention them for the sake of conversation. Either way I think the Storm have made it to some extent down there. Smith and Slater having statues made of them is remarkable really. Melbourne Victory don't have this yet and like the Storm they're support is growing.

Melbourne fans suddenly have choice where they didn't before this is a good thing.

I don't see how the Vic born player being Tongan has anything to do with anything. Yes they aren't streaming through but they are behind the pacific island nations who are only now starting to show signs of strength.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Cronulla has two separate memberships. Leagues club and Football Club. You can nominate to be a member of the football club, turn up to the AGMs and vote in the directors etc. Get enough members organised you can take over the club. That's ownership bud.

My understanding is that this will be more of a share ownership model to raise capital than a membership voting model like other clubs currently have.

mongoose

Coach
Melbourne Storm rate pretty well on TV in Melbourne. They have done what they had to do in an AFL town and positioned themselves as everyone's second favourite side behind their AFL team. Billy Slater, Cooper Cronk and Cam Smith make appearances on popular AFL TV shows. I hate the fact that this has to be the case because I can't stand AFL but I understand why they do it and it is a smart move. They'll be fine in the long-term, they have a nice niche in the city now.

apparently they are a failure because all 4.7 million people in Melbourne don't go to their games and wear their jerseys everywhere.

but really, would be good to see some more players coming out of victoria, i mean is everyone there born a massive pussy or something?

greenBV4

Bench
but really, would be good to see some more players coming out of victoria, i mean is everyone there born a massive pussy or something?

Theres currently 7 first grade teams, 7 corresponding reserve grade teams, and 8 second grade teams in the men's NRL Vic comp. Honestly I don't think they're that bad, its just that they are nowhere near as good as the quality of NSW and QLD.

I'd love to see a shake up of the state leagues/second division, something along the lines of having Vic, WA, SA have a playoff after their season and then the winning team/s of that playing against the winning Qld & NSW team/s

The affiliate state team would probably get smashed every year, but in the long run better competition will help them improve, plus it gives the players something more to aim for, with more national recognition and better hopes of making the NRL