What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fans' hearts and minds turn to Mariners and Jets

hindmarsh4pm

Juniors
meltiger said:
Did the Victory last year winning the GF affect the AFL? Would FC winning this year affect any Sydney clubs?

Pfft, it's a summer sport and no threat to the Knights.
Exactly. They are not in competition. If they want competition then play in winter, then we'll see if the crowds are big. I don't hate soccer, but it's things like this that make you question why bother watching it, if all they want to do is beat other sports.

sooperdooper

First Grade
everyone is pretty on the ball here.... i am a fan of both!
Attend NRL and A League games regulary....

It is the Journos doing this....

Both Sports are alive and doing well...

Tom Ace

Bench
I agree, and I think most football supporters agree too.
The sniping of a few "journos" should not tarnish most football supporters though because I'd say 90% of them (in NSW at least) would follow a Rugby League team as well.

sharko

Juniors
GCR said:
Yeah, that's why the NFL is struggling despite soccer having a vastly higher participation rate in the US :roll:
There is no comparison to be made between Aust sports and a US sport or for any comparison to be made between those countries..your jsut showing your ignorance.
Besides NFL is nothing more than a steroid driven spectacle which sends people to sleep an hour into the game!

GCR

Juniors
sharko said:
There is no comparison to be made between Aust sports and a US sport or for any comparison to be made between those countries..your jsut showing your ignorance.

Besides NFL is nothing more than a steroid driven spectacle which sends people to sleep an hour into the game!

:roll:

Noa

First Grade
Newcastle has been a great soccer nursery for 30 years. Another journalist who overlookks the fact that soccer and league have co-existed alongside each other for decades.

Unlike Victoria.

Ziggy the God

First Grade

What the A-League and the NRL should be doing is teaming up to lobby for more funds to be allocated for purpose built (or renovated) rectangular stadiums.

One sport uses it in Winter, the other in Summer. Everyone is a winner except Aerial Ping Pong.

I don't think we have too much to worry about but there are some areas of concern. For example, the Knights are on the nose big-time at the moment and are nextto no chance of making the finals this year while the Jets are going strongly. Most people who follow the Jets also follow the Knights but in a market in which it has proven difficult to finance pro clubs it is a bit of a worry that more people might be supporting the Jets and less people following the Knights this year and for the foreeable future. It is still a shared market for fans and sponsors and losing any of our share could prove very costly.

eels_fan_01

Bench
Fair enough with the Central Coast, we may have lost ground on the area but i mean it still isnt that far from Sydney or Newcastle, their are heaps of league fans there but i can handle what they are saying there.

But with the Newcastle thing i find it f**ken stupid, Knights came last this year and are now in their off-season so who doesnt expect in the height of the A-League finals that people are talking about the Jets.

Although i dont care about Sydney FC one bit. Id probably rather see Central Coast win it.

I just hate the A-League in general, its the same standard as the sh*tty NSL or whatever it was called, the only difference is they market it well and all soccer fans go on about how great the games are. Then to cover up the obvious lack of skill they point to how agressive it is, well id rather play A-League any day of the week over playing A Grade in a local league comp let alone NRL if i didnt wanna get hurt. A-League stars think they are rock stars now, i wouldnt give a sh*t if i seen one them in street.

Bench
jack coburn said:
why would league people worry about soccer.they changed their season to summer so they dont have to compete with any sport,they should be getting more people if you ask me.the true test would be if they directly competed with league ,union and afl in winter.there is a reason they dont do this,its because they no they would be on a hiding to nothing and the tv ratings with any sort of competiton from those 3 would leave only a few thousnd watching.
Whilst I agree that they would not out draw league head to to head,they changed to summer to align with the northern hemisphere soccer,so they are all playing at the same time.

dubby

Bench
sharko said:

Sounds like soccer to me.

soccer as a sport has failed how many times before in this country.

with the bandwagon of making the WC things are rosy now. what happens if they miss out. sydney FC have been losing millions each year, thats not sustainable.

having said that, there are a number of benefits from soccer getting established in australia.

sharing rectangular grounds with us will help us get grounds upgraded eg townsville, newcastle, wollongong, campbelltown

plus with the demograpgics of melboune soccer will be more of a threat to AFL

i think soccer is now number 3 in footy codes

either soccer or union die off at club level. we cant support 4 domestic club footy codes

Green Machine

First Grade
This attached comments from Pim sounds a bit like Matt Rogers thoughts on club Union:
http://www.smh.com.au/news/football/aleague-fails-the-grade-for-pim/2008/01/23/1201024992652.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap1

A-League fails the grade for Pim

Michael Cockerill
January 24, 2008

TRAINING in Europe is better than playing in the A-League according to the man who counts, new Socceroos coach Pim Verbeek, who yesterday named 19 overseas-based players in his squad for next month's World Cup opener against Qatar.
After weeks of cat-and-mouse, Verbeek finally showed his hand by selecting almost half his squad from European clubs, and it appears the starting XI to play the Qataris is almost certain to be chosen from those players.
Twenty A-League players (including seven from Newcastle Jets) have also been asked to join the squad in Melbourne on Monday, but it's hard to escape the impression that the locals are long shots for the final 18-man selection. The cut that counts will be made on Sunday week, a day after a closed-doors training game against Melbourne Victory.

sharko said:

yet i bet you like cricket. ive never understood how people find american football boring.

as for the football/league thing. im probably more into football than i am rugby league as a whole (although im borderline obsessed with the broncos) and i hate when dickheads like tony palumbo trash rugby league. I think it was when Milan played Barca in the euro semi finals and both teams looked technically brilliant and he was saying "how can people watch rugby league and afl when there is football like this being played". i hated that statement so damn much. i can like as many sports as i like, i dont have to like one. this was about 2 months before the world cup too, a big boom period for australian football, a lot of league fans might have slowly been getting into football as a 2nd or 3rd sport and would have tuned in, and some would have been put off by the smugness of dickheads like Palumbo.

HevyDevy

Coach
jack coburn said:
why would league people worry about soccer.they changed their season to summer so they dont have to compete with any sport,they should be getting more people if you ask me.the true test would be if they directly competed with league ,union and afl in winter.there is a reason they dont do this,its because they no they would be on a hiding to nothing and the tv ratings with any sort of competiton from those 3 would leave only a few thousnd watching.

Actually they changed it so that it was in line with the European competitions, but don't let the truth get in the way ...

Green Machine

First Grade
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Soccer_League
1989/90-1995/96 Birth of summer football
Attempts to shift the league towards a summer season went back into the early 1980s, but only came to pass for the 1989/90 season. The rationale for this change was simple. The league would avoid being marginalised in the media during the peak of the Australian Football League and Australian Rugby League seasons, as well as providing better playing surfaces and spectator comfort owing to the better weather.

http://www.ozfootball.net/ark/NSL/NSLchamps.html

Note: After the 1989 season the season was scheduled over the summer months primarily to avoid conflict with the more established codes of football.

Latest posts