What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

FAQ (Read this if you are new to the game)

Matta

Juniors
This is the FAQ, made specially for those who are new and don't know much about the game (also because I am pissed at how many questions are asked OVER and OVER again)

Here it is guys, after about 2 hours of searching for answers and 1 hour of sorting out... here's the FAQ!

-------------------------------------------------------

What is the name of the game?
Rugby League in Australia. It will be called Stacey Jones Rugby League in NZ and Super League Rugby League in UK.

Who are making the game?
Sidhe are the developers (and Mario is the producer). It is being funded and published by HES and will go under the label of TruBlu Games. It will be distributed in NZ by GameWizz and in UK by Alternative Software.

What systems would the game be released on?
XBOX, PC, PS2.

What is the cost?
Australia: PC: $89.99, PS2 & XBOX: $99.99
New Zealand: PC: $99.99, PS2 & XBOX: $ 119.95
Europe: TBA

When will the game be released?
Due to a bug found in the PS2 version, it will be released in the first two weeks of December.

That sucks eh?
You tell me.

What game types are in?
NRL, ESL, State Of Origin, City v Country, Tests (Aus, NZ, and GB), World Club Challenge, Custom Competitions, and Friendlies.

What features do you start off with?
At first, you only get the NRL and ESL... other features must be unlocked with success in these first two options, and also fulfilling other conditions, like possibly no. of hours played or scoring a try off a certain play.

Are there any post-competition celebrations?
It is more than a screen saying "congratulations". There will be a reward.

Who's doing commentary and who's the ref?
Andrew Voss is the commentator and Steve Clark is the ref.

Does Vossy do the comentary for the ESL?
Yes.

Which platform would be the best to get?
Depends. Gameplay on all three would be similar, but graphics are dependant on the platform. And controllers are more comfortable than a keyboard, but that's unless you have a joystick.

Can I change the controller settings?
They can be selected from a variety of pre-set options.

Requirements?
Minimum
Pentium 500
128MB RAM
16MB 3D accelerated video card

Recommended
Pentium 1.4GHz
128MB RAM
16MB 3D T&L accelerated video card

Is there 3D sound on PC?
No.

What music would there be in the game?
"That's My Team" and Sidhe designed music.

How many players can play in Multiplayer?
Four for XBOX, eight for PS2 and eight for PC. (with lots of USB connecting)

Is there XBOX advertising on PS2?
No. It is only on PC and the XBOX itself.

What difficulty levels are there?
There are five.

Is there in-game help?
On easy.

Can I create my own team/player/logos?
You can create your own teams or players. Players have 12 attributes that can be assigned to them as well as height, weight, hair colour, hair style, skin colour, head shape, and face. Headgear is in. Teams can have name, short name, mnemonic (eg. AUS), attack rating, defence rating, willingness to attack, jersey, alt jersey, stadium, alt stadium and logo. For PC, you can create your own logos/jersey, but for PS2 or XBOX you will have to choose from a preselected range.

How flexible are the options for custom competitions?
Custom competitions are fairly flexible. You can set a number of different attributes including how many times you play each team.

What are the twelve player attributes?
Speed, Agility, Acceleration, Fitness, Tackle Ability, Break Tackle Ability, Offload Ability, Catch Ability, Pass Accuracy, Kick Accuracy, Goal Kicking Accuracy, Aggression.

What are the attributes out of?

Can I edit existing players?
No, but you can create an identical player. It is rumoured that an unlockable would allow you to, but this is incorrect.

Can games be simulated?
No.

Can players be placed in any position?
Yes. I'd like to see Anrew Johns as a prop :D .

Who are the highest rating players (in no particular order)?
Stacey Jones, Andrew Johns, Brad Fittler, Craig Gower, and Matt Orford.

Would a player like Andrew Johns player better in a better side?
Yes, he would play better for the Knights, than, for example, the Rabbitohs.

Will created players get named in commentary?
Yes, if they share the same surname as somebody else in the database.

Is my player in/Which rosters would be used?
The rosters used would be the rosters used in 2003. Most players should be in, but the cut for players was late July, so some players, like Matt King, wouldn't make it.

Can I control MORE than 1 side in a season.
No, you can only play those games that involve your side. You also cannot have multiple human teams in the same competition. Multiple players can participate in each match, though.

Is there a limit for how many players/teams in a team/competition/player lists?
Maximum of 32 teams in a competition. Maximum of 40 players per team, and obviously they need a minimum of 17. You will be able to save over 200 created players.

Can you edit the pre-set competitions?
No, but you can create your own.

Can I play a finals series seperate from a regular season?
No.

In the grand final will there be a show?
No.

What stadiums are there (minus the unlockable)?
ANZ, Aussie, Brookvale, Campbelltown, Canberra, Dairy Farmers, EnergyAustralia, Ericsson, Leichardt, Oki Jubilee, Olympic Park, Parramatta, Penrith, Toyota, Suncorp, Sydney Showground, Telstra, Westpac Trust, WIN, BelleVue, KC, McAlpine, JJB, Widerspool.

Can you be one player an follow his career?
No.

Will players work on the same geometry?
Yes, but adjusted for height and weight.

How many player animations?
Around 700 animations are reportedly included in the game, including animations for injuries.

Will all NRL players have their face mapped?
Yes.

How about ESL Players?
The ESL licence does not cover player likeliness, so players won't be "exact".

Have real NRL players been used for motion capture?
No.

Can you change the difficulty mid-season?
Yes.

Can you play City v Country/State of Origin/Tests in the middle of a season?
City v Country/State of Origin/Tests are not concepts of a middle of a season. They are seperate competitions.

Can a player born in QLD play for NSW and vice versa?
Yes, any player can play for any team.

Do the Kangaroos still have their choice of original two Yellow V's?
The striped jersey is the default, and the traditional jersey is the alternate.

Is there franchise mode?
No franchise mode.

Can players be switched to different teams?
Yes, but not during a season.

Can more than one player share a game as the same team?
Yes, eight in fact.

Can you play anybody against anybody?
Yes.

Can two teams with the same player play each other? (eg. NZ Kiwis v NZ Warriors, with Jones v Jones, or Meli v Meli)
Yes.

How does the kicking system work?
The game uses a "matrix-style" kicking system, which slows down play and the camera moves to the back of the player, allowing you to accurately place the kick. The matrix mode lasts for the time you hold the kick button.

When does the matrix-style start in effect?
Automatically when you press the "kick" button.

Would chips use the matrix cam? Grubbers?
Chips, grubbers, bombs, punts, and field goals all use Matrix cam.

Are field goals kicked by a button or a combo?
'Special' button.

How accurate are kicks?
It is determined by the kicker's rating.

Can kicks hit the posts?
Yes.

How do tackles work?
There are two types of tackles: A high hit or low hit method, which is influenced by the timing of the tackle, and by how much aggression is charged. Apparently there is a "tackle" button and a "heavy tackle" button. The high hit is a big hit and are more likely to cause an injury or dropped ball.

Will fending, off-loading or busting tackles be effective?
Yes to all.

Will there be high tackles?
Yes.

Will there be spear tackles?
Yes.

Can you tackle a player without the ball?
No.

Are there ankle-taps?
Yes.

How does the aggresion system work?
Well, to increase aggression, you tap the S button for PC. (Not sure for consoles) This is also the button for sprint. Well, basically, forwards with higher aggression will hit-up harder, are more likely to break the tackle, more likely to off-load and force a quick play-the-ball, while be more likely to knock-on. For defenders, having higher aggression, they are more likely to force a knock-on, and injury, have more chance of stopping an offload, and probably will be able to defend with big hits like Richard Villasanti. They will also force a slower play-the-ball, and will make dominant tackles.

Will there be fights?
No.

Can you get sin-binned/sent off?
You can get sin-binned, and you CAN get sent-off. Some people said you can't, but you can.

How often are sin-bin/send-offs?
Depends on how aggresive you are with the tackling.

Does the size of a player play a big part in injuries?
Yes.

How long do injuries/suspensions last?
You cannot miss a match through injury/suspension, except for the match the incident happened.

Can the player returning from injury aggravate the same injury?
No.

Can you see injured/suspended players on the sideline?
No, I guess this is the same for benched players.

How does the confidence system work?
Not much is known, but if a team is winning the game, they would play better, and if they are losing they would play under a lot of pressure. This would probably determine how the AI would play the game.

How does the interchange work?
Players swap, so one goes to the bench while another goes on the field to field his position. There is a screen showing which players are on the field and which players are on th bench.

How many interchanges can you make?

Can you do a cut-out pass?
Yes, a short tap passes short, to the closest player (but not someone who's way back). If the button's been held for a long time, a long pass is thrown, a cut-out pass.

Can I intercept the ball and do I have to push a special place or do I just have to be in the right place at the right time.?
Yes, it is automatic if the player is positioned right.

When you aim to pass to the player's left or right hand side, does it occur in 'absolute' terms relative to the way the team is running or relative to the way the body is facing? (For example, if your player with the ball in hand is facing towards his own goalline with his back to the defence, and you press to pass left, will the ball travel to the left hand side of the team, or well it go to the left of the player's body i.e. to the team's right)
Absolute.

Are there forward passes?
Yes.

Will the only way to gain metres be spreading to the wing then running? How about scooting out of dummy-half or hitting-up?
All three are effective to gain metres.

Do players when running run through gaps, run at angles, and run inside automatically through the AI or is it player-controlled?
Automatic.

Can the player with the ball sidestep in either direction?
Yes.

Can the player with the ball fend with either arm?
Yes.

Can you direct the player to fend in different directions?
Yes.

Will the fullback join the line in attack?
Yes.

How does the fatigue system work? If I don't bench them would they be more likely to miss a tackle, drop the ball, or would they just run slower?
Yes to all.

Do forwards tire quicker than the backs?
It only depends on the player's fitness.

Do you need to wait before the defensive line sets before you can play the ball, like the demo?
This has been resolved, so the defence gets back into position faster, but you can also speed up the play of the ball and try to draw an offside.

Will the penalty be given only if the offside player gets involved in play?
Yes.

Can players knock-on from dummy-half?
No.

Can the dummy-half get tackled straight away when he touches the ball?
Only if he stands there doing nothing.

Does the hooker try to get into dummy-half in every play?
Yes.

Are the diving passes and one handed catches?
Yes, yes.

Has Goal kicking changed since the demo?
Yes.

Can kicks at goal collide with the posts?
Yes.

Can I control the length of the kick-off?
Yes.

Can there be timewasting at kicks at goal?
The kick is automatically taken after a period of time.

Are there left-footers?
No.

Is it possible to find touch from the kick-of/drop-out? Would the kicking team get the feed?
Yes, yes. Very risky tactic, though.

Are there one-on-one strips?
No.

Are there jumps for the bombs?
No.

Can we contest scrums?
No.

Can players collide with the uprights?
No.

Will players position themselves correctly?
Yes, for example, kickers will position themselves for kicks and props will not play out on the wings.

How realistic are the ball physics?
Very realistic.

What stats are kept?
Statistics are kept for roughly 17 categories for players and 22 categories for teams.

Is there end of match/Dally M awards?
No.

Can you save in the middle of a game?
Only at the end, in the menu.

Are there post-try celebrations?
Yes, but aren't as goofy as in the demo. It is all automatic.

What camera angles are there?
There are the side and front-on views. You can choose a high view and a low view, and one that changes between them for the front-on view.

Are there slow-motion replays?
Yes.

Would there be cut-scenes where the ref stops the clock and calls players?
Yes.

Are there day and night games?
Yes.

Are there weather conditions?
Yes.

Can the weather change in the middle of a game?
No.

How does rain effect the game?
Rain will cause more dropped ball, and also increasing missed tackles.

How does the ingame clock work?
It is real time, so a ten minute half has "10:00" on it, instead of "40:00" and going four times as fast.

How animated are the crowd?
They move in general play, but are more animated for tries.

What colours do the crowd wear?
Crowds are colour coded dependent on the team.

Are there fireworks?
No.

Are there team songs?
No.

Are there crowds holding flags/signs to support their team?
Not big flags.

Will anthems be played?
No.

Any wear and tear on the uniforms?
No.

Is there a formal strategy guide?
Not likely.

What secrets are there?
There are 18 unlockable features, besides unlocking game types like State Of Origin or Tests. There would be altering cheats to change the players, pitch and physics of the game. So there are guesses of low gravity mode, playing in novelty stadiums or with novelty players. (DUCKS!)

What secrets are there (Accidently released)?
The secret-unlockable team is Sidhe. kizzsc said that the secret stadium is the Roman Colliseum but this is not confirmed.

Since we get to see the player walk out of the sheds, can we see them walk out onto the field?
No.

Can you see the coach?
No.

How many different refs are there?

Do refs have any attributes?
No.

Do refs have a range of uniforms or is it automatic?
Automatically selected from a range.

How is the referee's and touch judges positioning in general play implemented in the game?
Simulating real life as best as Sidhe can.

How many rules are in the game and can they be switched on/off?
All the rules are in except advantage. None can be switched off.

How much research into the rule books was done to develop the game?
Lots.

How accurate are the rules?
The rules are 100% accurate, except there is no advantage rule.

Does the crowd abuse the ref when a dubious decision comes around?
No.

If four players from one team is sent off in a game, does that team forfiet? (there can be no less than 10 players fielding a side.)
Yes, assuming that many players are sent off.

Can the referee sustain injuries?
No.

Can the ref interfere with play?
No.

Are there touch judges?
Yes.

Is there a vid ref?
No.

Is there advantage?
No.

Does a siren sound or is the whistle blown for half/full time?
Siren.

How does the game replicate the NRL season?
In season mode, you play at the same stadiums that they played at this year... the season is exactly the same... so if in round 9 they played at a certain stadium, it will be the same in the game...

Is this going to be the best Rugby League game ever made?
YES!!!

--------------------------------------------

P.S. If you want more added, PM me.

Cool 17 individula player stats recorded sounds good!!! :) Also I love the fact u can change difficulty mid season cos u usually get better and by the end there is no challenge ,thats tops!!

One thing thats not true for me tho is where u say u will be able to save more on PC then xbox/ps2 not for me, my PC hard drive is only 4gig :oops: and my XBOX is 8 gig so it will hold more teams/created players lol...I gota get a new PC :lol:

TripleM

Juniors
For the prices, I think you should put NZ and aussie prices separate.. cos thats not the price for us.

kiwi04

Juniors
I think if you add 10% onto the aussie price, you will get the NZ price, roughly.

From what i remember, PS2 games were about 110- 120 bucks in new zealand.

kiwi04

Chris_Brissie

Juniors
ToTaLLy BiTcHiN said:
Just a quickie

IS THERE VIDEO REFEREE??

No, next year (If they sell enough this year, about 65,125 or something, yes for the next version.....plus heaps more new features.

sheep

Juniors
Matta said:
Oh yeah, what is the NZ price anyway?

barcode_xboxNZ.gif

barcode_PS2NZ2.gif

barcode_PCNZ2.gif

justakid

Juniors
man i just found this forum and damn gotta say, thanks thats gone into doing that FAQ - read all of it getting excited ... :)

btw matta - cabramatta i live in cabra too - hehe :) small world

any way i actually have a few q which i have posted as a new thread so as to not interrupt this thread.

Matta

Juniors
shows how much info's out

and some of ous are saying the game aint getting enough attention...sheesh!!! :roll: :roll: :roll:

Latest posts