What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fastest backline in decades?

The Whippet

Juniors
Daniel Wagon is training in the centres at Parramatta which means the backline will probally look like this:

1. Wade McKinnon
2. Luke Burt
3. Timana Tahu
4. Daniel Wagon
5. Eric Grothe

The Roosters have the fastest backline but their backline can't defend at all; Amos Roberts, Ryan Cross, Joel Monaghan, Chris Walker and Anthony Minichello.

SaintTPP

First Grade
Rooster have ono where near the fastest backline, Cros was their fastest player over 40m and his time was something like 4.68 (crap). To say they are the fastest backline in a decade is going way too far when they don't even cut it this year. anyways I'd be worried with those bunch of headless chooks when an attacker comes at them, they can't defend!

choc_soldier

Coach
1. Wesser
2. Howland
3. Franze
4. Lewis
5. Rooney

Quite happy with that. Bit concerned about the depth below that though...

choc_soldier

Coach
Roberts may be flashy in attack, but he's a liability in defence. Same could be said about Walker, in a way. The Roosters will not finish in the top 2, and this is a reason why.

melon....

Coach
Red V said:
Rooster have ono where near the fastest backline, Cros was their fastest player over 40m and his time was something like 4.68 (crap). To say they are the fastest backline in a decade is going way too far when they don't even cut it this year. anyways I'd be worried with those bunch of headless chooks when an attacker comes at them, they can't defend!
So what you are saying is Easts backline cannot defend? And yet with the weakest link in Hodges there last year, and the problems he caused Walker in defense, Easts still had the best defensive record by far???? What happened? Did the forwards make all the tackles in the backline? I suggest you educate yourself and look at Cross's defense last year. I am the first to admit Quentin was a turnstyle in the past, because he used to run up and try intercepting everything. Last season he found his defense. His stats show it. Minichiello wasnt too bad. People say Amos cant tackle...I say Stuart will fix that.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
I'm with those who claim that blinding speed isn't everything in a backline. Looking at the likely backline for the Warriors this year:

1: Webb
2: Meli
3: Toopi
4: Martin
5: Byrne
6: Fein
7: Jones

Outh of those I'd only rate Webb and maybe Toopi as particularly quick, yet we had one of the fastest players in the NRL in Justin Murphy and gave him the flick because apart from speed he didn't have much else going for him.