What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fastest Men in League

betcats

Referee
Acceleration will score you more tries then top end speed any day...that said, I agree with chip, the player
with the best top end speed would probably surprise us, as the fastest are probably tall lanky guys that
are caught before they can really wind up.

Thats why Jennings looks so quick, he can be moving at almost top speed in about two steps.

Pad Thai is pretty quick over 100 but he has to wind up.

I remember watching a Manly game last year and Sterlo mentioned Michael Oldfield had the fastest 100m time in the competition or something to that effect.

RABK

Referee
You gotta give it up for the likes of Gordon, Uate, Mead, Hayne etc because these guys easily push 11 seconds over 100 metres training for an endurance sport.

World class sprinters adhere to one of world sports strictest diet and training regimes designed to maximise explosive muscle power. I'm sure the NRL guys do some explosive training but some of the people mentioned in this thread could no doubt make olympic qualifying times if they dedicated their lifes to sprinting.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
World class sprinters adhere to one of world sports strictest diet and training regimes designed to maximise explosive muscle power.

Well unless they're Usain Bolt, who eats junk food, parties and prolly smokes the odd spliff. But that guy is a one in a million genetic freak, scary to think what he'd be like if he REALLY applied himself!

Reel deal

Juniors
You people have short memories. It's clearly Jarryd Hayne! How many of those other guys have out run a bullet???

Hutty1986

Immortal
Well unless they're Usain Bolt, who eats junk food, parties and prolly smokes the odd spliff. But that guy is a one in a million genetic freak, scary to think what he'd be like if he REALLY applied himself!

:lol: He is f**king unreal!! He jogged the last 15m of that Olympic final, unbelievable

broncos2010

Juniors
Reece Robinson is pretty fast. Nearly chased down Sandow who had a 30 meter head start last year in one of the games

boxa777

Coach
When you run with the ball, invariably you will be slower than running without it so it's always hard to debate based on a chase. I saw Locke catch Barba but he was always infront in the positioning and came at an angle.

If you're talking genuine speed, there was a race a couple of seasons back when Usain Bolt was here and Hayne showed what he can do over 100. Personally I think he is the quickest.

In that same race Barba just shaded Josh Morris over 100 and they both just shaded Nathan Gardner from Cronulla who's also quick.

I'd throw Fisiiahi and Locke in that upper echelon of speed as well and definitely Brett Morris also.

Other notables over 100 would be Ken Sio and Kevin Gordon.

Then there is the next level down with the likes of Jennings, Yow Yeh, Uate, Inglis, Oldfield, Duffie.

RABK

Referee
Oldifeld and Uate a level down from Sio, Garnder, the Morris bros and Barba?

Please.

Oldfeld and Uate would most likely go 1 and 2 if they ever do a proper NRL sprint race.

Both are the only NRL players to have officially been clocked at faster than 11 seconds over 100m. In the bolt race Hayne was clocked at 11.21 and Morris was somewhere around 11.50, Stop spouting your opinion as fact when it couldn't be further from the truth.

Packy

Bench
Reserve Grade Champion Michael Lett would probs be faster than the other Dogs mentioned in this thread.

God-King Dean

Immortal
lol, do people really think it's as simple as "[insert player] ran down [insert player], therefore [insert player] is faster?

Many factors to take into account: player fatigue, carrying a ball, what happened in the lead-up to a player getting the ball, momentum, the angle the player are running at etc.

Plus there's track fast, & there's footy fast. In my eyes, Slater is the fastest man in the NRL. But that doesn't neccessarily convert to track speed. If I remember correctly, Matt Geyer was faster than Slater over 100m.

boxa777

Coach
Oldifeld and Uate a level down from Sio, Garnder, the Morris bros and Barba?

Unfortunately the delusion stems from the fact that you're obviously a Knights supporter but Uate is not in the top speed merchants in the competition. He does enough and has the evasion but over the length of the field, he'd get run down quite comfortably by guys like the Morris twins for example.

RABK

Referee
Yup a guy with a personal best 100m time of 10.82 would comfortably get run down by Josh Morris who ran 11.5 in the bolt race.

Yeh and he's also not in the top tier speedsters in the NRL.

You thick merkin.

Hutty1986

Immortal
Yup a guy with a personal best 100m time of 10.82 would comfortably get run down by Josh Morris who ran 11.5 in the bolt race.

You thick merkin.

Brett would be quicker, because he's the better Morris :cool:

Packy

Bench

You thick merkin.

I actually think Uate would be faster than Morris but Uate's time was when he was sprint training and Morri's was as a footy player?