What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fastest Men in League

goosie

Juniors
can't tell who would be the fastest on a football field, it would be completly different on a proper 100m sprint on a track in spikes.

goosie

Juniors
lol, do people really think it's as simple as "[insert player] ran down [insert player], therefore [insert player] is faster?

Many factors to take into account: player fatigue, carrying a ball, what happened in the lead-up to a player getting the ball, momentum, the angle the player are running at etc.

Plus there's track fast, & there's footy fast. In my eyes, Slater is the fastest man in the NRL. But that doesn't neccessarily convert to track speed. If I remember correctly, Matt Geyer was faster than Slater over 100m.

Yay somebody that actually knows!!

boxa777

Coach
Yup a guy with a personal best 100m time of 10.82 would comfortably get run down by Josh Morris who ran 11.5 in the bolt race.

Yeh and he's also not in the top tier speedsters in the NRL.

You thick merkin.

When was that personal best you dense novacastrian? Have a look at him today not when he was 18 and thin.

firechild

First Grade
When was that personal best you dense novacastrian? Have a look at him today not when he was 18 and thin.

I'd still suggest Oldfield is faster than Hayne. His time was about as recent as Hayne's in the Bolt race. Besides an assertion that Hayne is faster than everyone, you've given no reason for that belief.

betcats

Referee
Yup a guy with a personal best 100m time of 10.82 would comfortably get run down by Josh Morris who ran 11.5 in the bolt race.

Yeh and he's also not in the top tier speedsters in the NRL.

You thick merkin.

He woudlve bulked up since then no doubt.

aqua_duck

Coach
Sure he would've bulked up but he wouldve developed physically aswell in terms of fast twitch muscle fibers, core strength, etc.

RABK

Referee
No, it was recorded in 2008. When he was a 95kg 21 year old. Not a lot different to the 98kg 24 year old that plays today.

boxa777

Coach
I'd still suggest Oldfield is faster than Hayne. His time was about as recent as Hayne's in the Bolt race. Besides an assertion that Hayne is faster than everyone, you've given no reason for that belief.

Hahaha.. What was the race that I mentioned then? That's my reasoning. I'd say Oldfield would be in the top bunch as well. I was on the fence with that one. The second tier is still pretty quick also.

firechild

First Grade
Hahaha.. What was the race that I mentioned then? That's my reasoning. I'd say Oldfield would be in the top bunch as well. I was on the fence with that one. The second tier is still pretty quick also.

That race included what, 4 NRL players? Including Inglis dawdling in at about 16 seconds. Hardly enough to convince anyone that Hayne's the fastest of the 400 players in the 16 first grade squads.

boxa777

Coach
That race included what, 4 NRL players? Including Inglis dawdling in at about 16 seconds. Hardly enough to convince anyone that Hayne's the fastest of the 400 players in the 16 first grade squads.

Agreed however it's based on opinion and I'm drawing most of mine from that race and from what I've seen from the quicker guys in each team in the comp. I think Barba is pretty quick over 100. The Locke chase did nothing to dissuade me from that opinion and he was well behind Hayne as was Morris and Gardner.

I agree Oldfield is the unknown and he'd be right up there. As for the rest of the 400 or so first graders, I think I haven't missed many.

Karl

Juniors
There's plenty of interest in this sort of measure obviously. They should have an annual competition called "The Fastest Man in League" just after the regular season and before the finals and do it on a footy field over, say, 80 meters in boots. Heats and finals. It'd rate it's arse off on TV I reckon and would probably pack a few into a stadium too. Show the banter with the players, highlight their athletic achievements outside the NRL or before entering it etc. and at the ground you could have entertainment etc - make a big thing out of it. It would highlight the athleticism and speed of the game and you could do something with a Charity and donate proceeds etc, raise funds on the day.

Last edited:

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
There's plenty of interest in this sort of measure obviously. They should have an annual competition called "The Fastest Man in League" just after the regular season and before the finals and do it on a footy field over, say, 80 meters in boots. Heats and finals. It'd rate it's arse off on TV I reckon and would probably pack a few into a stadium too. Show the banter with the players, highlight their athletic achievements outside the NRL or before entering it etc. and at the ground you could have entertainment etc - make a big thing out of it. It would highlight the athleticism and speed of the game and you could do something with a Charity and donate proceeds etc, raise funds on the day.

Can't do it before the finals, what if a finalist pulls a hammy? Better as part of pre-season IMO. Condition should be that each club enters a player with 5+ NRL caps.

Doga

Juniors

You wouldn't get teams in the finals though. Too much risk.

Karl

Juniors
Is there that much more risk in an 80 meter foot race than in normal training or any game when they need to make a break? These speed guys must be doing training to maintain their speed etc all the time and they play every week.

Pre-season would have the same risks, and they aren't as well conditioned in the pre-season either probably.