What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Faumuina doesn't want to play in Tri Nations

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Well, that seems to be the case, as for some reason he has apparently deemed it necessary to go take up a temporary ESL contract. As a result, he will be unavailable for the test at North Harbour.

He's one of my favourite players but this is just pathetic. I think we've all said it, but we're primed for another Kiwi C team to get thrashed in the Tri Nations.

Sun_Down

Juniors
wait dont worry...

Faumuina, Betham head to UK
28 August 2005
BY MICHAEL DONALDSON

Mick Watson may have resigned as chief executive but the turmoil surrounding the New Zealand Warriors continues unabated.

It's understood rising star Sione Faumuina has pressured the club into letting him sign a short-term contract with Warrington that will prevent him from playing for the Kiwis against Australia on October 16.

His move comes as unhappy former captain Monty Betham negotiates to leave the club with a year left on his contract to join UK Super League club Wakefield Trinity.

And the Sunday Star-Times understands club doctor Chris Hanna is set to quit and will replaced by former All Blacks doctor John Mayhew, an appointment which points to the growing influence John Hart has at the club.

Mayhew said yesterday he had yet to receive an offer from the Warriors but wouldn't rule out taking the job as long as it didn't clash with his employment at the Millennium Institute on Auckland's North Shore.

Mayhew was close to accepting the job of Warriors doctor in 1995 but instead went to the All Blacks where his close friend Hart had just taken over as coach.

Hart is now an independent director of Warriors majority owner Cullen Sports. He will be part of the review team which decides, among other things, whether coach Tony Kemp will keep his job.

Some sources are pointing to Hart taking a more hands-on role at the club, possibly as football director, but Watson ruled that out.

It's understood Hart was behind Faumuina's negotiations. The versatile player, who is likely to be in the No6 jersey for the Warriors next season, demanded the club release him for the lucrative short-term deal.

It's similar to the six-game arrangement Andrew Johns has with Warrington, but Newcastle only let Johns go on the condition he commit himself to the Knights for another three years. There's no such commitment from Faumuina.

If he goes, Faumuina won't be available for the Kiwis' October 16 test against the Kangaroos in Sydney.

Meanwhile, Watson told the Star- Times Betham is questioning his future in the NRL because of his poor judiciary record and the way he's been treated by Warriors' fans in recent weeks.

"Monty has had a challenging year because of three dynamics," Watson said.

"He has had injuries which will potentially shorten his career. He's had problems with the judiciary which now leave him `loaded' from that point of view every time he takes the field.

"And he has had an unhappy year with the media and fans, particularly after that incident in the Roosters game," Watson said referring to Betham's punch-up with Anthony Tupou which cost the Warriors a try in that close match.

"He got booed in one of our home games which upset him and he's unhappy with the way he's being viewed. So he's speaking to us about whether he stays in New Zealand or goes overseas.

"There's been no release from the final year of his contract at this point."

Sources in the UK suggest a deal could be done as early as this week but it might be complicated by the fact there is a huge question mark over Betham's eligibility as an import.

To qualify, a player have played in 75% of possible NRL games over the past two years or must be a test player. Betham doesn't qualify on either count with injuries and suspension restricting his NRL appearances. He last turned out for the Kiwis in 2003 and is unlikely to be picked on the end-of-year tour.

Wakefield chief executive Dian Rogerson said his club was interested in Betham.

"Coach Tony Smith has been watching his performances and we have spoken to his agent," Rogerson said.

"We will probably put a contract to him next week."

stuff.co.nz

I like the idea of former All Blacks coach John Hart joining the Warriors administration . There's only three men in NZ can help Maori and Pacific Islands rugby players and are like father figures to the boys (like Wayne Bennet with the Broncos)and is also well respected by the Moori and Pacific Islands community .

Former All Black player Micheal Jones , All Blacks coach Graham Henry and John Hart .

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
ozboy said:
I guess this is all the fault of the NRL and it's Australian clubs.

a) Well, you're certainly not doing anything to help, and you have most of the power

b) Regardless of whose fault it is, it f**ks up the Tri-Nations.

Evil Homer

Staff member
Lee Briers will play 5/8 I think - Faumuina will probably play second row/13.I can't help but think this is going to disrupt the Warrington squad going into the play offs...

AuckMel

Bench
This is clearly Faumuina's decision.

Who can blame him? Play for a 3rd string Kiwi team, or a chance at a Premiership and a bucket full of money?

Club football > State of Origin > Internationals

ozboy

Juniors
I just read somewhere that Faumuina has stated that he is too tired to play in the Tri-Nations and wants a rest, thus ruling him out of the series.

I still blame the Australian clubs though.

AuckMel

Bench
The Warriors are an Australian club based in Auckland. So essentially, you actually aren't too far off the mark, ozboy.

dazza

Staff member
he is going to hull, according to reports on radio sport this morning.

the reason for pulling out of the kiwis is, he is supposedly wanting a rest so he can be fresh for the warriors pre-season.

if he wants a rest, why the f**k is he going to the uk to play?!?!?

i know he has to make a living, but ffs, he needs a rest so he goes to england to play some more footy?

as far as i am concerned, & i am entitled to my opinion which i will probably get fried for, but he should not be picked for the kiwis again.

as for some people saying it will be a kiwi c team, get f***in real. sonny-bill & benji gone don`t make it a c team.

who else has made themselves unavailable?

as far as i know, thats it. joe galuvao is ok, tony puletua will be, should he get some game time, feka is available, all the uk based players are available, even though the warriors didn`t have the best of seasons, they are all available.

so why is it a c team?

dazza

Iafeta

Referee
Personally I think he should never be reconsidered for Kiwis selection.

Its totally hypocritical, he's going to be too tired to play for the Kiwis, but not too tired to go earn an extra $70K when apparently he's on $250K per year anyway.

I'm a big fan of Sione Faumuina the player, but if this is his stance he's gutless, he's a coward, and disgrace to the name Kiwi. Lift your game Faumuina. Life's too short to throw away those opportunities, especially when you're young and got time on your side.

AuckMel

Bench
dazza said:
as for some people saying it will be a kiwi c team, get f***in real. sonny-bill & benji gone don`t make it a c team.

who else has made themselves unavailable?

as far as i know, thats it. joe galuvao is ok, tony puletua will be, should he get some game time, feka is available, all the uk based players are available, even though the warriors didn`t have the best of seasons, they are all available.

so why is it a c team?

dazza

Our "A" team would include players from both hemispheres. Our "B" team would include all players from the NRL, our "C" team is what's left over.

If it's any consolation, it at least shows we've got enough depth to challenge the Aussies and the English. We just have to somehow get them on the field at the same time.

The Tank

Bench
Do you guys reckon Franky Pritchard will get a bench spot? He's been one of Penrith's most consistant this season.

ozbash

Referee
The Tank said:
Do you guys reckon Franky Pritchard will get a bench spot? He's been one of Penrith's most consistant this season.

hes a great prospect and will hopefully go close.

i reckon theres a lot more going on with john-boy than what meets the eye.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
btw, the "C" team stuff is based on the fact that invariably this is what we get. However, I want to clarify that I do not agree with the defeatist attitude expressed by AuckMel.