What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Faumuina may fly to Sea Eagles

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
All the talk about Faumuina being inconsistent on the field is exaggerated.

When you factor in his problems with the booze, and the fact he has had a couple of suspensions, he has struggled to really string games together for the Warriors. I think this all adds to the impression of him being an unstable character, but purely in terms of ON-FIELD performance, it is very unfair to say that he is a liability or whatever.

Generally he is great value as a player, and very wholehearted. Some weeks he makes more mistakes than others, because he likes to try things. But on balance he is a terrific all-round backrower.

His skill set- running game and footwork of a centre, strength, workrate and offloading of a backrower, and before the line playmaking skills of a stand-off- is just about unique in the competition.

I don't know the guy, but obviously he is a bit of a nutter- although when you see him in interviews etc, he seems quite an articulate guy. Obviously the booze is a problem.

If you get him sorted out off-field, I certainly don't think you'll be disappointed on-field.

I rate him, hope he joins us. Sure he can do some dumb things, but he's a player that can create things with ball in hand, and that's something we need at Manly.
I'd like to hear the details of his offence though. Seems a bit suss to me.
"The last thing we wanted was for his contract to be torn up". I call bullsh*t.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Where Eagles Dare said:
I rate him, hope he joins us. Sure he can do some dumb things, but he's a player that can create things with ball in hand, and that's something we need at Manly.
I'd like to hear the details of his offence though. Seems a bit suss to me.
"The last thing we wanted was for his contract to be torn up". I call bullsh*t.

He's a serial offender when it comes to alcohol related incidents. In past years he has been reprimanded for incidents in Auckland bars/clubs on at least one occaision. Then at Awen Guttenbeil's testimonial dinner he got drunk, made innapropriate comments during speeches, then swore at Ivan Cleary and Ruben Wiki when they tried to pull him back into line. (remember this was in front of sponsors and fans who'd paid to be at the dinner) Finally he turns up drunk to the Roosters match (he was out injured that day) then acts like a drunken dickhead at the after-match, telling autograph-seeking fans to f**k off and eliciting several complaints to management.
The club has given him plenty of chances, many of us are of the opinion that the previous incident was adequate grounds for termination, so when management says "The last thing we wanted was for his contract to be torn up", they mean it as they've given him every opportunity to recify his behaviour, but he left them no option.

Iafeta

Referee
He's got a history with these sorts of problems W.E.D..

IIRC, in 2004 he was given a suspended fine after an altercation with a Warriors fan at an ATM fueled by alcohol, he pleaded to give the sauce up. This year at Awen Guttenbeil's testimonial he created immense embarrassment for the club for some savage choice of words that were audible to most of the public - this apparently featured a verbal altercation with coach Ivan Cleary and some choice language for Ruben Wiki, and at the Roosters game according to reports I've read on a couple of forums he was intoxicated, had a verbal stoush with a Warrior in the dressing sheds, stormed out of there, and then proceeded to curse out a bunch of fans at the after match function. There was also a game he missed over here I think last year because of personal issues, I think he was dating a Silver Fern at the time and it had something to do with her. Apparently Kevin someone (I think he was the CEO of the Raiders) confirmed that during Sione's time at Canberra there was an incident that has largely remained uncovered to the public but was not particularly pleasing for the club. You may remember he chose not to tour with the Kiwis last year, but instead went and played for Hull. From memory he slated Ivan Cleary earlier in the year blaming him for not going on the Kiwis tour for the sake of pre-season training, but failed to mention the Hull excursion.

I certainly don't think it's BS, he's a very good player who's had a relatively ordinary season, but a player who needs to perhaps reassess where he's going in life and in general his career. I hope his next club can sort him out because he's a good player in full flight there's no doubt.

Forgot about the thing at Guttenbeil's dinner. And the Roosters game incident is pretty unacceptable if that's how it was. Fair enough for the Warriors letting him go then. I hope he can clean up his act, whether he comes to us or not, and while you've made me a bit more apprehensive about him signing with us, I'd still like to see him come. We have the cash, and I don't see anyone else out there who 'on-field player-wise' I would prefer as BK's replacement.

effnic

Bench
ozbash said:
great player with a greater problem.

he gets the problem under control and he will set the world on fire.

good luck john boy.
Sums it up nicely really not much more needed to be said.

On a bittersweet day for the club, however, Sione Faumuina was sacked for "serious misconduct" stemming from the Warriors' win over the Roosters last Sunday.

It has been alleged that Faumuina, who was sidelined with a wrist injury, was drunk at the game and abused fans. There has also been speculation he abused Cleary - however, the coach denied this.

"He didn't abuse me, unless someone else saw something I didn't," he said. "I spoke to him at one point and it was pretty amicable. But it's disappointing. We're pretty strong on values. We just want people who want to do the right thing, off the field and on it. Unfortunately Sione just doesn't fit in there."

Warriors chief executive Wayne Scurrah did confirm: "There were a number of issues on the day."

It came after Faumuina was involved in another apparent drunken outburst at Awen Guttenbeil's testimonial in July, which led to the player being fined and reprimanded. "From my point of view, it's hard enough to see a player's contract torn up without going into the details," Scurrah said. "But there's been a series of alcohol-related issues, right through a large part of his time at the club. It's something we were encouraging him to rectify."

Manly yesterday ruled out signing Faumuina after originally being in the market for the former Kiwi international. Asked if the Sea Eagles would approach Faumuina, chief executive Grant Mayer said: "Zero. In light of what's happened, we're not interested."

Source - http://www.smh.com.au/news/league/r...h-halves/2006/08/30/1156816966939.html?page=2

Looks like the Sea-Eagles don't want him. Thought they might have borrowed the accountants who helped the Warriors earlier as well as the ones who looked after the Dogs in 2002.

effnic

Bench
NO MORE BAGGAGE AT EAGLES
Jason Avedissian

The days of manly being a refuge for wayward players are over after the sea eagles rejected speculation they were interested in sacked warriors forward Sione Faumuina.

He is the second dumped player manly have distance themselves from in a week following the sacking of cowboys forward Mitchell Sargent.

"We've got to make sure we get a good player and a good person," Mayar said.

Mayer said the Sea Eagles would be patient in finding a suitable replacment for retiring captain Ben Kennedy.

Manly Daily

eelsta

Bench
effnic said:
NO MORE BAGGAGE AT EAGLES
Jason Avedissian

The days of manly being a refuge for wayward players are over after the sea eagles rejected speculation they were interested in sacked warriors forward Sione Faumuina.

He is the second dumped player manly have distance themselves from in a week following the sacking of cowboys forward Mitchell Sargent.

"We've got to make sure we get a good player and a good person," Mayar said.

Mayer said the Sea Eagles would be patient in finding a suitable replacment for retiring captain Ben Kennedy.

Manly Daily

and yet they signed JUDAS LYON:sarcasm:

t-ba

Post Whore
eelsta said:
and yet they signed JUDAS LYON:sarcasm:

Lyon's hardly going out beating up people in a drunken rage or spending half his wages on Bolivian Marching Powder...He just couldn't stand the two d*ckheads in charge of your club.

eelsta

Bench
t-ba said:
Lyon's hardly going out beating up people in a drunken rage or spending half his wages on Bolivian Marching Powder...He just couldn't stand the two d*ckheads in charge of your club.

bullsh*t, he walked out on his mates, as simple as that and as for dickheads, hows peter peters going......