What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Favourite All-Time Eels Victory

TheParraboy

Staff member
Back in the early 90s

Illawarra Steelers were a top 4 side, we were a bottom 2 side

We lead 18-0 at halftime at Parra Stadium, ended up winning 18-16

Was all the more sweeter as was up from the gong with 4 mates, all steeelers fans

Kenny played lock

Erickson, Woods, leeds, Mahon, Liddiard, Bell, Drake, Johnston, fearnley, Greentree, Laurie, Jackson, langford

they were all there

crowd around 8k

HevyDevy

Coach
That semi in 98 against Norths were we bashed the crap out of them was pretty special as well :D

Absolutely, great game. Brilliant Dave Penna try after a Stu Kelly break - then Pay, Raper and McCracken belted them into submission.

Also the 22-16 win over the Dogs in 1995.

fibroboy

Juniors
1 Beating St.George in the 1984 prelim.final with a very late Eric Grothe try in the Paddo corner.
2 Beating Balmain in the 1963 minor semi with a Ron Lynch try at the Randwick end.

Non NRL.Beating South Africa also in 1963 at Cumberland Oval on a Tuesday afternoon.I was a Leaving Certificate student at MBP that year,attended the international after school.

There are so many, so I will try to break them up and keep it to only games I was at.

Best Non GF win: 22-12 vs Canterbury, Preliminary Final 2009

Best Non GF win at Parra Stadium: 30-16 vs Newcastle, Elimination Final 1999.

Best Non Finals win (not against Canterbury): 31-18 vs Manly, Round 21, 2006.

Best Non Finals win (against Canterbury): 24-16, Round 23, 2001

Best win I didn't go to: 15-10 vs Brisbane, Semi Final, 1998.

Special mention to the game against Cronulla - Round 17, 1999.
A 22-0 win where Parra's defence was so good, they were making ground without the football.

slippy

Juniors
Bulldogs prelim last year.

Non finals.. hasn't been mentioned yet but..

2005 Vs St George. We won 40-14. Tight game until the final 15 when we blew them away, I was on an amazing high, atmosphere unreal. The highlight was Ben Smith smashing Barrett then running 80m to seal the deal!

Last year vs penrith/wests in the fairytale was good too.

Bulldogs prelim last year.

Non finals.. hasn't been mentioned yet but..

2005 Vs St George. We won 40-14. Tight game until the final 15 when we blew them away, I was on an amazing high, atmosphere unreal. The highlight was Ben Smith smashing Barrett then running 80m to seal the deal!

Last year vs penrith/wests in the fairytale was good too.

I've watched that game many times.

Dean Wiiders played like a man posessed in that game.
Barrett started punching Marsh in the back of the head, and McKinnon scored because of the fight that started. :lol:

Glenn

First Grade
Non Finals:parramatta gatecrashing the opening of ANZ (QEII) Stadium vs Brisbane. (1993)

Finals: 1981 GF the start of a Blue and Gold Dynasty.

Last edited:

lingard

Coach
I`ve seen many Parramatta games, obviously. The one that really sticks in my mind, strangely, is Parramatta beating Melbourne this year. The atmosphere; the meeting of last year`s two grand-finalsts; the fact that both teams had a point to prove; the fact that we were real under-dogs (because our form had been sh*t, and their`s had been great). Both teams gave it their all and it really was like a grand final replay.
Added to that, it was an historic occasion. Never before had a team been stripped of a premiership. And Parramatta (whose form had been dreadful) had the chance to stand up against the team who had, by cheating the system, denied them of premiership victory. And we WON! What a game that was!
That Parramatta victory was the straw that broke Melbourne`s back in 2010. Very fitting.
(Last year`s Canterbury finals game comes second.)

Last edited:
Barrett started punching Marsh in the back of the head, and McKinnon scored because of the fight that started. :lol:
i remember that it was so funny wade picked up the ball and trotted a few metres, turned around to see if the ref blew a penalty or someone was chasing, then trotted a few more when he eventually scored barrett went ballistic

-Gurueel-

Juniors
i remember that it was so funny wade picked up the ball and trotted a few metres, turned around to see if the ref blew a penalty or someone was chasing, then trotted a few more when he eventually scored barrett went ballistic

awesome game, barrett was public enemy number one during that match - he was such a grub.

can't remember the year think it was early '90's it was round 3 v St George at Parra Stadium, first 2 games were away and the Dragons were rated contenders that year. We had Stu Galbraith, Kenny was still there and we gave it to them to start the season off with 3 straight wins, the wheels fell off soon after but and we didn't even make the finals. They asked one of the Dragons players late in the season who was the toughest team they played against this season and he said Parramatta. At this stage Dragons were in top 2 and we were about 12th.
the crowd was huge and the game was outstanding.
the Game at Parra v GB was the best atmosphere i have been to that was unreal and Kenny, Galbraith, Cranovich and Laurie tore the Pommies a new one.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
There are so many, so I will try to break them up and keep it to only games I was at.

Best win I didn't go to: 15-10 vs Brisbane, Semi Final, 1998.

A 22-0 win where Parra's defence was so good, they were making ground without the football.
I was at that game :cool: Sitting among a lot of pissed of Unco's supporters.

parra pete

Referee
Parramatta V St George at Cumberland Oval in 1962. Packed house..I can remember it like it happened yesterday. (July 15, 1962 Crowd 18,522.) It was memorable due to a couple of things..Ken Thornett, Ken Foord's intercept try, Peter Matson 5 from 5, and a record crowd.
I spoke about it with Noel Dolton - who was one of the props that day - on a cruise around Australia on Dawn Princess a couple of years ago. "Tombstone" rated the match highly in his memories also.
Me and my mates finished playing in Auburn at 1.30 and drove over to Cumberland Oval.
Parra won 19-8 with Peter Matson kicking 5 goals, and tries to Kenny Foord, Mike Jackson and Brian Hambly. Sadly Ken Foord, the intercept king, and Grumpy have now passed on to the other world.
Wins by Parra over St George were very rare. The previous time the boys had beaten St George was in 1958, 19/18.
I loved my games at Cumberland. Thinking about them now still gives me goosebumps...

Parra Guru

Coach

Best win I didn't go to: 15-10 vs Brisbane, Semi Final, 1998

Totally forgot that game... I was there, it was fantastic.

Tyler Durden

Juniors
surprised that nobody has mentioned our 36-6 destruction of St.George in Rd 2 1986.
our very first game at our brand new Parramatta Stadium.

Sterlo ran the show and got a perfect 10 from RLW. Steve Sharp scored the first try and the St. George prop was a certain P. Osbourne.