What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Favourite Sports documentaries

abpanther

Staff member
Watched the Schumacher one on Netflix the other day, was pretty good. I was big into F1 in the 90s and he was the best but also the big villain and I think some of his moves are still questionable to this day. Sad watching it now given where he's at

Dogs Of War

Coach
Going to argue that things like this are sports in a way.

King of Kong - Named "Video Game Player of the Century" in 1999, Billy Mitchell sets a record score in "Donkey Kong" that many felt would never be broken. In 2003 Steve Wiebe, who has recently lost his job, learns about the record, sets out to beat it and does.

nöyd

Staff member
Bad Sport series on Netflix.
I was about to post that I'm surprised nobody has mentioned this series.

I just watched the one on Hansie Cronje, and although it seemed a little rushed, it really is a sad story of how money can completely take over one's thinking, especially one in a power position as Hansie was at the time (late 90's to 2000).

He was completely infallible both on and off the pitch (so it seemed), all it took was 3 days lost to rain in a test against England, a phone call from a bookmaker, and boom - his life was never the same until his death in 2002.

The fact that Herschelle Gibbs was involved, but when it came to the crunch he couldn't go through with it was mindblowing, I don't ever recall him being involved or the implication that he was, but he was, he admits as much in the doco.

PJ

First Grade
I was about to post that I'm surprised nobody has mentioned this series.

I just watched the one on Hansie Cronje, and although it seemed a little rushed, it really is a sad story of how money can completely take over one's thinking, especially one in a power position as Hansie was at the time (late 90's to 2000).

He was completely infallible both on and off the pitch (so it seemed), all it took was 3 days lost to rain in a test against England, a phone call from a bookmaker, and boom - his life was never the same until his death in 2002.

The fact that Herschelle Gibbs was involved, but when it came to the crunch he couldn't go through with it was mindblowing, I don't ever recall him being involved or the implication that he was, but he was, he admits as much in the doco.

Thing that struck me was the bit where he got paid for a game that they were going to lose and said something along the lines of if they are silly enough to pay me when the game is lost I'll take it not realising once they had you they had you for good.

Always thought Warne and Waugh got of easy for providing weather info, which sounded eerily similar to Hansje saying what's the harm on money for a stupid thing.

Latest posts