What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Favourite team names

roopy

Referee
I was just looking at some different sites, and some of the team names are really interesting.
It adds great colour to the game to have really interesting names for sides - like Philly Fight in America, Locomotive in Russia, The Spiders and the Pigeons in Serbia - or one of my favourites - The old Media Wolfpack (representing the town of Media in Union - sister side of Mantarays in League) in America.

Found any good ones??

carlnz

Bench
I love the Tomahawks name..that has massive promotion material!!

I also like the Falcons and the Bulls

Big Bunny

Juniors
Tomahawk said:
How about Coogee Dolphins, and Wong Roos.

Coogee Wombats are more unique. The dolphins wear a Miami logo and haven't been around for as long. The other name you're looking for is Wyong.

Some of the more unique or interesting Aussie names though are Tabulam Turtledivers, Maitland Pumpkin Pickers, Charlestown Butcher Boys, Dapto Canaries, Warrilla Gorillas and Parkes Spacemen

A few from Northern Division are Guyra Superspuds, Coonabarabran Unicorns, Warialda Wombats, Quirindi Grasshoppers, Bendemeer Mountain Men, Singleton Greyhounds and Scone Thoroughbreds.

Any name based on a local town's main industry or feature makes for a good, unique name I reckon. Parkes and Maitland are classics. Some from overseas that are great are Nottingham Outlaws - it's a cool emblem and also has some local flavour - and any of the PNG teams with native bird/animal emblems (Kumuls, Mioks, Muruks, Gurias, Lahanis etc). I also like International team names like Wolfhoundsm Tomahawks, Samurais, Chanticleers and Batis.

Tomahawk

Staff member
I did a Google search and here are some names I saw that I liked.

Eastern Tornadoes – Don’t know any teams that’s name is Tornadoes
Halswell Hornets – Like the name
Linwood Keas – What is a Keas?
Sydenham Swans – Any team that’s name is Swans I support them
Tasman Orcas – What’s an Orcas?

Tomahawk

Staff member
Big Bunny said:
Coogee Wombats are more unique. The dolphins wear a Miami logo and haven't been around for as long. The other name you're looking for is Wyong.

Played with the Bulls against both of these teams.

Paul Condon

Juniors
Eastern Tornadoes – Don’t know any teams that’s name is Tornadoes
Halswell Hornets – Like the name
Linwood Keas – What is a Keas?
Sydenham Swans – Any team that’s name is Swans I support them
Tasman Orcas – What’s an Orcas?

A Kea is a large dark green parrot with orange under it's wings which lives in the mountains of new zealand. They will happily walked up to you to beg for food especially at some ski fields. Another habit they have is up to 8 of them will jump on a car and start pulling off the black rubber around windows and windshields. Kinda funny when you see it on an expensive car that isn't yours.

The Linwood Keas last won their first Premiership in Christchurch NZ for the first time in 35 years. The Keas have produced many Kiwis including Quentin Pongia and Brent Todd.

I kinda like the name Diehards from Brisbane.

Iafeta

Referee
Yeah Paul, Kea's are wicked! Its the most freakiest funniest thing to hear about, as long as they don't do it to your car! I went into Milford Sound earlier this year on a tour bus and there was a group of them near the Homer Tunnel seriously eyeing off the tour bus.

Orca is a killer whale, and I believe the next NRL franchise possibly will be known as them - the Southern Orcas.