What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Feb 19th Trial vs. Cowboys

Seagullsrock

Juniors
The team list had Beale starting over Copley, does that mean anything?

I think mainly experimentation. Defensive issues is Beale's problem. Reed and Copley read play alot better and Beale can be exposed on his inside based on what've seen of him playing NRL/20s and for Wynnum. Beale is also more a natural right hand side player as he's got a better left arm fend.

Big Pete

Referee
tbh I dont understand why the Broncos should have been "strong favourites" going into the game.

I never said anything about favourites, my point was the Cows rely heavily on Bowen and Thurston and are a completely different side with them in it.

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
I never said anything about favourites, my point was the Cows rely heavily on Bowen and Thurston and are a completely different side with them in it.

Sorry BP my comment was mostly directed at some comments from the Cowboys supporters who said the Broncs should win comfortably.

imo both sides were weakened quite fairly.

Talanexor

Juniors
Yeah, I was the one who said Broncos should be strong favourites.

I based this on a couple of things:

1 - Our team was full of new faces, whereas most of the Broncos have played a fair bit together. Especially the spine and the forwards.

2 - Rookie Halves. Wallace has plenty of experience, while both Norman and Hunt saw plenty of game time last season. Jones and Thompson played their second ever senior game together. The first was the previous trial this year

3 - Terrible preparation. Not one but TWO cyclones - one in North QLD, one in Darwin - kept us stuck inside.

And 4 - Michael f***ing Bani... I can't figure out what he does to get picked in first grade.

Plus I think the Broncos are probably better coached. The structure is definitely not as good as when Bennett was around...but it's still pretty darn good.

EDIT: The big advantage the Cowboys had was in the forwards. Our pack was full strength, whereas the broncos looked a bit lightweight without Hannant and Thaiday in it.

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
1 - Our team was full of new faces, whereas most of the Broncos have played a fair bit together. Especially the spine and the forwards.

I doubt Tronc and Anderson have played together too often

2 - Rookie Halves. Wallace has plenty of experience, while both Norman and Hunt saw plenty of game time last season. Jones and Thompson played their second ever senior game together. The first was the previous trial this year

Fair enough. I doubt Wallace played many minutes though. Norman didn't play that much last season. Hunt did.

3 - Terrible preparation. Not one but TWO cyclones - one in North QLD, one in Darwin - kept us stuck inside.

Agreed there. But did no-one know the Henjak sacking was coming before it was released? I find that hard to believe, although both Henjak and Griffin appeared shocked.

And 4 - Michael f***ing Bani... I can't figure out what he does to get picked in first grade.

Definitely agree. I expect Kalifa would take his spot. The Broncos wingers were complete rookies in Kahu and Reed.

Plus I think the Broncos are probably better coached.

Ummmm, Henjak or Griffin?

EDIT: The big advantage the Cowboys had was in the forwards. Our pack was full strength, whereas the broncos looked a bit lightweight without Hannant and Thaiday in it.

Yes, the cowboys had a massive advantage in the front row. Both back rows were first class.

The main thing that I thought made it even is Lockyer and Thurston being out, tit for tat. Both teams have struggled without...