What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fifita Goooooone

Fox Sports are reporting this morning that Sharks Star Andrew Fifita is on the verge of agreeing to a contract with the ARU after being personally approached by Ewen McKenzie. This rumour has been doing the rounds for a while now.

If true can hardly blame him, the Sharks are a rabble with their coach sitting the season out and the other ASADA crap still not finalised. Their season would appear to be already shot.:lol:

Jubileeboy

First Grade
I know there was some talk about this a while back but I tend to lean more towards his manager throwing out the ultimatum to the scum, he wants an upgraded contract and he wants it done before March.
Or, he knows their house of cards development and their viability to remain in the NRL is short term and he does not wish to reside in Perth or Rockhampton !
Still, who dafuq would play for that delusional mob of parasites.

Amadaca

Juniors
It will be bad for NSW if true, but a player that capable no longer in the League is great news for fans of everyone he played against, LOL.

hardbaby

Coach
He is off-contract along with a host of fantastic props. He is the prize for sure. I can see the Wallabies interest in him. Ever since Palu became injury prone they have really missed those tearing charges. Fifita would be a godsend for them. It may take him 12 months to adjust but with his rugby pedigree he would make the transition in time to be a guaranteed start for the World Cup. He would also have the Olympic 7s in sight. Personally I hope the Dragons chuck a massive offer at him but I'd expect the Wallabies/Waratahs to be able to trump most offers. He is a prop after all, but would be a number 8 at rugby.

64 Dragon

Coach
Fifita has too much talent to put his head in a raa-raa scrum. It would be a waste. Not many League forwards have made a successful transition to Union, and vice-versa.
He would look good in the Red V.

bottle

Coach
Goooooone is a stretch, in more ways than one.

BARNSTORMING Cronulla, NSW and Australian prop Andrew Fifita has dropped a bombshell just 47 days out from the start of the NRL season by revealing he's weighing up a potential switch to rugby.

The 2013 Dally M Prop of the Year, an integral part of the Kangaroos' World Cup triumph in England, is contracted to the Sharks for 2014 - but he admits the ARU's interest, led by Wallabies coach Ewen McKenzie, is proving attractive.

"[McKenzie] asked me if I wanted to chase another dream pretty much and it always has been a dream of mine to play first grade rugby - I grew up playing rugby," Fifita, 24, told The Daily Telegraph.

"I've accomplished almost everything rugby league has to offer and he said, 'This is an option - don't consider it if your heart's not in it.'

"Being told by the Australian coach that you could have the opportunity to play with the Wallabies is a big rock just landing on you… several [rugby] clubs are talking saying they need a good number eight and I could fill in that position."

Arguably the most athletic front-rower in the NRL, the Sharks superstar could prove a revelation at the back of the scrum in the 15-man code.

The giant enforcer, however, insists his first preference is to remain at Cronulla - and, whichever option he chooses, he aims to sign a new deal by early March.

"I'd love to be at the Sharks and my number one priority is to stay here but I'm looking to sign something by round one," Fifita said.

"I'm sealed here for 2014 but it's up to me and my family - I'm going to take a look at my options but the number one priority is to stay at the Sharks for life. If I sign I want to sign a long-term deal… but I definitely have more dreams to accomplish in life. I had a dream to play rugby league with Australia and that was one of the best things of my life.

"I'm happy here, I want to stay here but at the end of the day I've got to look after my family and I'll do what any man would do at any household."

Fifita said he and his Cronulla teammates are focused entirely on the future, despite the ASADA investigation - and the status of stood-down coach Shane Flanagan - still hanging over the club.

"I've come back [from the World Cup] under a new coaching staff and all new players and everyone is missing 'Flanno' deeply and he has our full support but at the end of the day we have 'Sharpie' (promoted assistant coach Peter Sharp) now and we've got to follow him," Fifita said.

"If the light does come at the end of the tunnel for 'Flanno' we'll be more than happy to have him back - the club's missing him - but we've got a job to do and that's focussing on the 2014 season."

And Fifita, fresh off a breakout 2013 season, said he's determined to make it his best year yet.

"I'm going to make 2014 a year to remember. I don't want to have second-year syndrome - I really want to go further than what I did and help the team go deeper into the finals too," Fifita said.

"I'd love to write history here at Cronulla - they might even put up a stand in our honour if we did that. To win the Sharks' first competition would be awesome - I'll do anything to get us there."

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/test-star-and-cronulla-prop-andrew-fifita-eyes-rugby-union-switch/story-fni3fbgz-1226804432498

64 Dragon

Coach
"I've accomplished almost everything rugby league has to offer and he said, 'This is an option - don't consider it if your heart's not in it.'

I know you said almost, but what about a Premiership Andrew? Come on over, you have more chance with us than with the scum.

KiamaSaint

Coach
I love the telecrap's line "...dropped a bombshell just 47 days out from the start of the NRL season...".

That pretty much puts us in the middle of the off season doofus, when would there be a time where it is less of a bombshell?

BrissyRedV

Bench
Doust should open the check book, pay what ever he wants just get him in the red V. Hell, he can have my 3rd born child if he wants, just get him to the Saints

TheRev

First Grade
Its all such BS, hes obviously worth a tonne more than when he was recruited at the Sharks as a Tigers reject.

But publicity wise changing NRL clubs never looks good, change of code is pretty much accepted.. just annoying though, surely someone can just pay him what hes worth, game winning forward.

nrlnrl

First Grade
Doust should open the check book, pay what ever he wants just get him in the red V. Hell, he can have my 3rd born child if he wants, just get him to the Saints

nice thought, but it's Sharks or rugby - money isn't the issue

Amadaca

Juniors
Would love to have him after Williams leaves us, just to say we have the worlds two best front-rowers (Waerea-Hargreaves & Fifita).

Pipe dream probably, but we offer plenty if he's ever listening.

Last edited:

Stagger eel

Staff member
Would love to have him after Williams leaves us, just to say we have the worlds two best front-rowers (Waerea-Hargreaves & Fifita).

Pipe dream probably, but we offer plenty if he's ever listening.

No doubt uncle Nick can pull that off with his eyes closed and mouth gagged...