What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fiji and the Queensland Cup

deal.with.it

Juniors
It's about 4 hours from Brisbane to Fiji, and if teams have to make connecting flights or buses (mackay, Rocky, Sunny Coast etc), its really pushing the travel time for a semi-pro comp.

Benny

First Grade
It'd be great if it occurred - having teams from Fiji, PNG and New Zealand in the second tier competitions would greatly add to the competitions, not to mention growing the game in these markets and the pathway for players from these competitions.

Rather than the QLD Cup the NRL should look at developing a better second tier competition.

In particulat one that looks at those sides looking to gain entry into the NRL in the next 5,10,20 years.

The recently formed PNG side, Perth, CQ, Ipswich, CC Bears another NZ side are examples of the teams that should be included. These teams along with a few well established sides in the QRL and NSWRL would make a great competition.

deal.with.it

Juniors
I agree with the last post.
Teams like Northern Pride, Redcliffe from QLD cup. Newcastle, Newtown, Illawarra from NSW Cup.
With the Auckland Vulcans, PNG, Fiji, WA, Melbourne.
Then you have a strong second tier comp.
Then you have the remainder of QLD cup and NSW cup teams playing in their respective comps.
It also opens the door for the likes of Albury and Wagga to join NSW cup, and Townsville brothers in Qld cup.

Do we have the money to run a third 2nd-tier comp?

By all means include them in th two we have if it's viable but I don't think a third comp is the answer.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
I agree with the last post.
Teams like Northern Pride, Redcliffe from QLD cup. Newcastle, Newtown, Illawarra from NSW Cup.
With the Auckland Vulcans, PNG, Fiji, WA, Melbourne.
Then you have a strong second tier comp.
Then you have the remainder of QLD cup and NSW cup teams playing in their respective comps.
It also opens the door for the likes of Albury and Wagga to join NSW cup, and Townsville brothers in Qld cup.

Aren't Albury Thunder joining the NSW Cup this year as Melbourne's feeder club?

Aren't Albury Thunder joining the NSW Cup this year as Melbourne's feeder club?
No, NSW Cup is basically unchanged - I say 'basically' because Penrith have decided to field their own team rather than using Windsor as their feeder club/team. Same with the Warriors, who now field a team under that name rather than using the Vulcans.

Not sure what the Storm are doing.

Diesel

Referee
The Vulcans are also gone, the Warriors are taking over the NSW Cup team.

As good as a Fiji team would be in at 2nd tier competition it's hard to ask the semi-pro teams outside of SEQ to travel to Fiji. I know they're asking clubs to travel to PNG but it's closer than Fiji.

Benny

First Grade
3.5 hours to Fiji from Brisbane

3 hours to Port Moresby from Brisbane and a further 1.5 hours from Port Moresby to Kokopo.

So any myth about extra travel time is de-bunked for Brisbane based teams but it would add time for out of Brisbane teams as can fly to PNG from Cairns.

PNG have to pay all expenses for visiting teams and you'd assume if Fiji came in it would be the same deal. A

s it cost the QRL nothing to have the PNG team in, it seems like a good win for all involved as TV money will sky rocket for the rights in PNG (all home games televised), you'd expect bigger crowds for away games involving PNG due to all PNG people/descendants living in Australia attending (plus people with a genuine interest) and licensing rights from PNG gear sold.

I believe Fiji would add the same on the smaller scale (though I dare say Fiji would have a bigger NSW based population than QLD but no one cares about NSW Cup, where as good interest in the QLD Cup).

The question is would a Fiji side be financially viable and have the fan base, corporate support and government support that the PNG team will have and while I am confident they will be successful on and off the field - it would be best to wait for the lessons learnt by the Hunters before Fiji embark on a similar journey.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
No, NSW Cup is basically unchanged - I say 'basically' because Penrith have decided to field their own team rather than using Windsor as their feeder club/team. Same with the Warriors, who now field a team under that name rather than using the Vulcans.

Not sure what the Storm are doing.

That's a real shame, was looking forward to seeing the NSW Cup expand to more regional areas...

DaneCampbell

Juniors
As much as I would love to see this occur and believe that a Fijian team in the QLD Cup would be a great thing for rugby league in Fiji and internationally, there would be a lot of objection from Queensland rugby league authorities.

At present the QLD Cup does not have a presence in traditional rugby league centric cities such as Townsville, Toowoomba, Bundaberg and Mt Isa. Not to mention once proud Brisbane clubs like Wests and Brothers. I think you would find that all those cities/clubs mentioned would object strongly to any further expansion into other nations such as Fiji, Vanuatu, Solomon Islands etc. The QLD Cup is the premier competition for the QRL and the QRL has a remit to service and promote the game within it's own boundaries and with rugby league facing bigger challenges from rugby union, AFL and soccer within Queensland, the QRL are fully aware that they need to have a high profile presence within places like Townsville, Toowoomba and Bundaberg.

So again, as much as I am a supporter of international rugby league and Fiji, I cant see this becoming a reality.

A solution could be to see the establishment of a Pacific Cup club competition, featuring 6 teams: Nadi and Suva (Fiji), Port Vila (Vanuatu), Honiara (Solomons), Nuku'alofa (Tonga), Apia (Samoa). Run it over 10 regular season weeks (home and away games) + finals. This would provide high quality games to the Island nations and would be an ideal pathway for recruitment. I would personally like to see this occur with the NRL to provide funding for coaches, admin staff and a few marquee players from Australia/New Zealand per team to assist the local staff to improve the overall quality of the game and the teams.

As much as I would love to see this occur and believe that a Fijian team in the QLD Cup would be a great thing for rugby league in Fiji and internationally, there would be a lot of objection from Queensland rugby league authorities.

At present the QLD Cup does not have a presence in traditional rugby league centric cities such as Townsville, Toowoomba, Bundaberg and Mt Isa. Not to mention once proud Brisbane clubs like Wests and Brothers. I think you would find that all those cities/clubs mentioned would object strongly to any further expansion into other nations such as Fiji, Vanuatu, Solomon Islands etc. The QLD Cup is the premier competition for the QRL and the QRL has a remit to service and promote the game within it's own boundaries and with rugby league facing bigger challenges from rugby union, AFL and soccer within Queensland, the QRL are fully aware that they need to have a high profile presence within places like Townsville, Toowoomba and Bundaberg.

So again, as much as I am a supporter of international rugby league and Fiji, I cant see this becoming a reality.

A solution could be to see the establishment of a Pacific Cup club competition, featuring 6 teams: Nadi and Suva (Fiji), Port Vila (Vanuatu), Honiara (Solomons), Nuku'alofa (Tonga), Apia (Samoa). Run it over 10 regular season weeks (home and away games) + finals. This would provide high quality games to the Island nations and would be an ideal pathway for recruitment. I would personally like to see this occur with the NRL to provide funding for coaches, admin staff and a few marquee players from Australia/New Zealand per team to assist the local staff to improve the overall quality of the game and the teams.
your on the right track Dane I would suggest 8 teams though, a Melanesian Conference (Honiara, Port Vila, Suva, Nadi) and Polynesian Conference (Apia, Nuku'alofa, Rarotonga, Pago pago).. there is no doubt talent there and this will be the way for the sport to grow.

CQ Italia

Juniors

By 2020, the Intrust Super Cup could have Townsville (a bid currently aiming for 2015 backed by Townsville Brothers), Bundaberg/Wide Bay (CQ NRL Bid have stated under a CQ NRL license this will happen) and from what I've read there is a Toowoomba Clydesdales bid also (back in Fogs Cup/Colts? now). Over to you NRL/QRL

Latest posts