What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fiji gain Sponsor

LeagueXIII

First Grade
From Fiji Times:
Major boost for Crushers

Tuesday, March 06, 2007

+ Enlarge this image
Raymond Singh

RUGBY union's loss is rugby league's gain.
Provincial champions Nadroga and Navosa yesterday lost their major sponsor to Lautoka rugby league club, the Crushers.
The frustration of not being recognised has seen Islands Electric managing director, Raymong Singh ditch his sponsorship of rugby union for league.
"If my company's sponsorship for the PWD Bure rugby union sevens team can help produce Fiji's future king of the code in William Ryder, I am sure it can help raise another Noa Nadruku in league," Singh quipped.
Singh, who has been involved in rugby union sponsorship since 1994, said he was disappointed that FRU had never ever appreciated his contribution towards the sport.
He said the focus was only on major corporate sponsorships in comparison to what he terms being " a little star in the sky".
"It really hurts to see after all my contribution, being a small individual company that the parent body is only concerned with big corporate organisations. Never even a gesture to say you are invited to our colonial cup matches.
"Culden Kamea was the only gentleman who always invited me when Lautoka defended the then Colonial Farebrother Trophy." Singh recalls his first sponsorship for Lautoka in 1994 when the team was struggling with only a handful of officials joining hands to prepare the team for the upcoming matches.
In between as the interest grew, Singh started sponsoring a host of clubs teams to strengthen the Maroons squad. After eight years of solid sponsorship through club and provincial level, Lautoka finally grabbed the prestigious Farebrother Trophy from Nadi in 201. The previous win going back to 1979.
Singh recalls paying the national sevens players after the 2000 IRB series ensuring a pleasant Christmas for them.
"In 2003, through my generous sponsorship Lautoka grabbed both the Farebrother and the Telecom Cup.
"This achievement led to more clubs joining in and interest became very high in sponsoring many sevens clubs from which came atop Vio and PWD Bure.
"A host of stars emerged with the likes of William Ryder, Iliesa Nadau, David Batiratu and Watekini Vunisa.
"Also in 2003, my company sponsored the FRU's Island Zone Rugby. From 2004-2006 IEW sponsored the champion Nadroga team, while for the first time Navosa gained sponsorship."
Players like Viliame Satala, Ifereimi Rawaqa, Seru Rabeni, Marika Vunibaka, Filimoni Delasau have benefited from Singh's generosity.
FNRL chairman Peni Musunamasi welcomed Singh's financial input saying it was a way forward for rugby league.
Musunamasi had invited Singh as chief guest at the FNRL grand final last year although Singh had never contributed towards rugby league.

screeny

Bench
Another uber coup for the maestro, Peni Musunamasi. Inviting Singh to last year's final and now capturing his corporate support is yet another feather in Musunamasi's cap. At this rate he'll look like a Sioux chieftan by 2008.

roopy

Referee
I can so see League taking over from Union in Fiji.
The emergence of Aku Uate at the Newcastle Knights this year will also be a shot in the arm for Fiji League.
He is the fastest player League has seen in a long time and has a huge step etc. The most exciting winger i ever saw was Martin Offiah - and Aku looks like a clone of him.
Aku is just about certain to make his firstgrade debut in round one this year.

roopy said:
The emergence of Aku Uate at the Newcastle Knights this year will also be a shot in the arm for Fiji League.
He is the fastest player League has seen in a long time and has a huge step etc. The most exciting winger i ever saw was Martin Offiah - and Aku looks like a clone of him.

Aku Uate is apparently phenomenal (has been compared with Lote Tuqiri) - top tryscorer for Newcastle in Jersey Flegg last year. He has also played for Fiji A - which is fantastic and indicates he's willing to play for Fiji in the future (he could obviously play for Oz) - as well as Australian Schoolboys.

I'm assuming that playing for Australian Schoolboys doesn't affect his eligability to play for Fiji Bati in 2008 (if he makes grade by then).

yakstorm

First Grade
Schoolboys are selected by residency, and playing for them doesn't affect a players eligability for other nations.

Nathan Cayless, Benji Marshall, Theo Anasa and Phillip Howlett are a few Aus Schoolboys who spring to mind in recent years who have gone onto play for other nations.

BatiFan

Juniors
Akuila played for Fiji against Cook Islands in last years World Cup Qualifers, thus making him Fiji through and through for the 2008 World Cup. Aku, Wes Naiqama, Semi Tadulala and Daryl Millard (and possibly Lote Tuqiri) in the same backline looks good to me.

roopy

Referee
BatiFan said:
Akuila played for Fiji against Cook Islands in last years World Cup Qualifers, thus making him Fiji through and through for the 2008 World Cup. Aku, Wes Naiqama, Semi Tadulala and Daryl Millard (and possibly Lote Tuqiri) in the same backline looks good to me.
That would be fantastic for the world cup.

Turdy Angle

Juniors

League has still got seven more sports to overtake before rugby union . Rugby union is now semi pro in Fiji and has been for four years .

Sam_the_man

First Grade
Turdy Angle said:
League has still got seven more sports to overtake before rugby union . Rugby union is now semi pro in Fiji and has been for four years .

Yet it is still as borring as bat sh*t.

AlbertRosenfeld

Juniors
Does anyone here know what has happened to Rupeni Caucaunibuca? He is one of the fastest rugby union players on earth, starred in the 2003 RU WC, and then went to England. Any news on him?

Latest posts