What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Final Table Revisited

Fairfax

Juniors
ARe you still going on about this? Get a life DJ1. Or maybe some therapy. Do you have to hi-jack every thread with your agenda?

Mr Saab

Referee
attamarrap said:
didn't you see us smoke the draqueens a couple of weeks ago we have dogs and broncs comnig up we'll see how we're going against those 2 soon enough

yeah the eels "smoked" the dragons, but it was the fight that changed everything.
What did the dragons do after that loss? win the next 3.
What did the eels do after that win? lose back to back games.
I wouldnt get excited over that win over the dragons as IMO it camouflaged a few problems with the eels.

DJ1

Juniors
Fairfax said:
ARe you still going on about this? Get a life DJ1. Or maybe some therapy. Do you have to hi-jack every thread with your agenda?

This was a reply to someone who stated that your club was not involved in any under the table dealings at that time.

This statement was clearly inaccurate as that is the only reason why you would structure the Craig Wing payments that way.

No agenda.

Mr Saab

Referee
lotti said:
it seems we've found a common foe, Dodger didn't see that happening but then the Bulldogs are facing another year being out of the finals. Manly had Origin problems.

and the dogs have had their full strength team on the park all yr have they? :roll:

for most of the season they have had :

no SBW
no OMeley
no Patten
No Tonga
Now no El masri

Nickeel

Juniors
Charlie Saab said:
yeah the eels "smoked" the dragons, but it was the fight that changed everything.
What did the dragons do after that loss? win the next 3.
What did the eels do after that win? lose back to back games.
I wouldnt get excited over that win over the dragons as IMO it camouflaged a few problems with the eels.

The fight in that game contributed to the size of the score, but it is highly debatable it 'changed everything' re: the result. By that stage the Eels were in the lead and in the ascendant, and the mood amongst the players had changed significantly. The fight and the try only served to unsettle the Dragons mentally and give us more of a buffer.

Since then Parramatta have lost to a resurgent Canberra on a cold winter's day in Canberra, with three on the bench for 75 mins, and lost to a Newcastle outfit that it back to near-strength, running hot and wishing this form spike had happened ten weeks ago (and who have since disposed of Melbourne and will account for Bulldogs this Saturday).

The Dragons have 'dazzled' against Manly, Cronulla and the Roosters - all teams that are not setting the world alight. I wouldn't get excited over any of this, from a Dragons point-of-view, IMO.

Nick

Mr Saab

Referee
what you say is true nick, the dragons have beaten up on teams sadly out of form.
When the dragons/eels fight happened the eels had a 2 point lead. Not exactly a match winning lead. The fight changed everything (can point to the lack of mental strength of the dragons) and the scoreline was not indicative of the game whatsover.
I wouldnt say the raiders were resurgent...they just have the wood on the eels at bruce stadium.
The eels led 10-0 over the knights after 10 mins and didnt score another point. Knights are not exactly the manly defence of 1995-1996.

[furrycat]

Coach
ParraDude_Jay said:
But your current captain's contract should have been torn up due to the fact that you only got him due to a salary cap breach. And it was him who made the try-saving tackle on Crocker to win the grand final, so really that * next to your premiership is there and rightly so.

Oh god that is the funniest thing I have ever read. Get your hands out of your pockets.

Nickeel

Juniors
Charlie Saab said:
what you say is true nick, the dragons have beaten up on teams sadly out of form.
When the dragons/eels fight happened the eels had a 2 point lead. Not exactly a match winning lead. The fight changed everything (can point to the lack of mental strength of the dragons) and the scoreline was not indicative of the game whatsover.
I wouldnt say the raiders were resurgent...they just have the wood on the eels at bruce stadium.
The eels led 10-0 over the knights after 10 mins and didnt score another point. Knights are not exactly the manly defence of 1995-1996.

I agree the scoreline wasn't indicative of much of the game, but my point was that by that stage of the game Parra looked to have already gained the upper hand. The fight just accentuated this and the match exploded.

'Resurgent' was perhaps a poor choice of word - blame me being at work! What I meant was that, yes, Canberra were at home and yes, they have a good record against us there, and also they are quite underrated and had a lot more to play for than a team running second and coming off a big win against a top side. They were/are in the scrap for the top 8, and we weren't - a complacent attitude you will not see from us in the final two months of the competition, believe me. ;)

The Knights loss came against a side that are showing what they missed in terms of player strength for most of the year. Andrew Johns can do pretty much anything right now, he is unstoppable. Mind you, the hype that came out of that game (i.e. that he gave Tim Smith a 'footballing lesson') was grossly exagerrated. That game saw a somewhat depleted (Grothe, Morrison, Vella, Wagon, Petersen) and tired side come up against one that is full of enthusiasm at the moment.

At the end of the day I am excuse-making, but I genuinely believe people will not be talking the same way about either the Eels or the Dragons in five week's time as they are right now. You watch. All this aside, Broncos are still the clear frontrunners.

Nick

borat

Bench
Nickeel said:
The Dragons have 'dazzled' against Manly, Cronulla and the Roosters - all teams that are not setting the world alight. I wouldn't get excited over any of this, from a Dragons point-of-view, IMO.

Nick

Yeah I agree with that. The next 3 games will be the barometer the dragons will be judged by. Even this friday's game is crucial for us as a loss will pit us back with the contenders struggling for a top 8 spot with 2 extremely hard games to follow. Most Dragons fans aren't getting too carried away with our current form, we have seen it all before.

Mind you the win the eels got over us will mean next to nothing if we put you to the sword in 2 weeks time.

Nickeel

Juniors
borat said:
Yeah I agree with that. The next 3 games will be the barometer the dragons will be judged by. Even this friday's game is crucial for us as a loss will pit us back with the contenders struggling for a top 8 spot with 2 extremely hard games to follow. Most Dragons fans aren't getting too carried away with our current form, we have seen it all before.

Well, that's good to know. This hype has really been irritating me, when the Dragons haven't really beaten a contender team that is travelling well in this recent winning streak.

For the record, what really annoys me about it is not the fact they are talking up the Dragons (wouldn't matter who it was), but more how the media and some fans are so quick to get carried away with who is in 'form' and who is not. The Cowboys were already in the grand final a while back, according to media and fans, then after a few losses they were in trouble, then they win against Penrith (?!) and Manly (?!!)and they're a team to be feared again. Work that out! I am sure that when Parra get a few wins on the board in the next couple of weeks the same will happen to them - really rubs me the wrong way.

I quite enjoy watching the Dragons play, and if they come through their next few games well then I will have a lot more time for them as a premiership contender.

Mind you the win the eels got over us will mean next to nothing if we put you to the sword in 2 weeks time.

True, but don't get ahead of yourself. :lol:

Nick

knights04 said:
No. Club PTS P/D
1. Broncos 44 +229
2. Cowboys 34 +123
3. Eels 34 +119
4. Storm 32 +288
5. Dragons 32 +90
6. Bulldogs 31 -7
7. Sea Eagles 30 -13
8. Wests Tigers 30 -29
9. Roosters 26 -35
10. Warriors 24 +15
11. Raiders 24 -85
12. Sharks 24 -94
13. Rabbitohs 21 -242
14. Panthers 18 -84
15. Knights 16 -275

You can't honestly say that the riaders are only going to win 1 more game this season considering the way they have been playing. I think they will make the 8. they have 3 home games which they should win. and only have to win 1 of the other 2 away games.

Mr Saab

Referee
nick..the cowboys have never been in a GF. Lat yr was the first time they made the top 8 and they lost the prelim final.
I agree with what you say re "form" though

Nickeel

Juniors
Charlie Saab said:
nick..the cowboys have never been in a GF. Lat yr was the first time they made the top 8 and they lost the prelim final.
I agree with what you say re "form" though

Charlie... I was referring to the media saying a few months ago that it would be a Broncos vs Cowboys GF, and wouldn't all the people in Sydney have their knickers in a knot, and should they move the game to Brisbane blah blah blah. Sorry, should have made that clearer.

Nick

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Ghoulies said:
Since I haven't had the chance to memorise Parras draw yet, that was obviously an understatement.

Though my point still stands, the Dogs have failed to beat the 14th placed team twice this season, so obviously they're far from the top 8 certs you make them out to be.

Yet they've managed to beat the current Top 3...

Brisbane got smashed by 6th

Parramatta got beaten by last place and smashed by 14th

St George got hammered by the Dogs

By your logic, the Top 3 aren't in contention. Wake up, one loss or win doth not make a season.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Fairfax said:

Fairfax, the Parra fans are the one spinning conspiracy theories.

And Willow, why haven't you banned either of them? They're saying unsourced crapola as well.

Cletus

First Grade
DJ1 has been banned hasn't he? I thought it was pretty hard to get banned on here.
I've gotta agree about the hype from the media. Every time some boofhead like Gould opens his mouth there's a new favourite for the title or someone's the best player he's ever seen. I guess hyperbole sells newspapers.
As for the Dogs making it back to back, I don't think so. They've got a draw that might have looke easy two months ago but the Tigers, Knights and Eels are playing much better than they were then. Even if they make the eight it's very hard to win from 7 or 8th.

Razor

Coach
01. Broncos......38 +148
02. Eels.........36 +159
03. Dragons......36 +139
04. Wests Tigers.34 +69
05. Storm........32 +208
06. Cowboys......30 +67
07. Sea Eagles...30 -26
08. Roosters.....28 +6
09. Sharks.......26 -102
10. Bulldogs.....25 -55
11. Raiders......24 -87
12. Warriors.....22 -7
13. Panthers.....20 -60
14. Knights......20 -209
15. Rabbitohs....19 -250

Week 1:

Wests Tigers (4) defeated Storm (5)
Dragons (3) defeated Cowboys (6)
Eels (2) defeated Sea Eagles (7)
Broncos (1) defeated Roosters (8)
Eliminated: Sea Eagles
Eliminated: Roosters
Week 2:

Wests Tigers defeated Cowboys (eliminated)
Dragons defeated Storm (eliminated)
Week 3:

Dragons defeated Eels (eliminated)
Broncos defeated Wests Tigers (eliminated)
Grand Final:

Dragons defeated Broncos (eliminated)

Premiers: Dragons

Jono078

Referee
Charlie Saab said:
and the dogs have had their full strength team on the park all yr have they? :roll:

for most of the season they have had :

no SBW
no OMeley
no Patten
No Tonga
Now no El masri

Dont forget Mason who was out for about 18 rounds, also who usually chalks up over 150+ metres for them each game game.

Razor

Coach
My amended table after last weeks matches

01. Eels.........36 +179
02. Dragons......36 +166
03. Broncos......36 +136
04. Wests Tigers.36 +114
05. Sea Eagles...32 +17
06. Cowboys......30 +66
07. Storm........28 +142
08. Sharks.......28 -56
09. Bulldogs.....25 -82
10. Roosters.....24 -31
11. Raiders......24 -105
12. Warriors.....22 -25
13. Panthers.....22 -54
14. Rabbitohs....21 -228
15. Knights......20 -228

Week 1:

Wests Tigers (4) defeated Sea Eagles (5)
Broncos (3) defeated Cowboys (6)
Dragons (2) defeated Storm (7)
Eels (1) defeated Sharks (8)
Eliminated: Storm
Eliminated: Sharks

Week 2:

Wests Tigers defeated Cowboys (eliminated)
Broncos defeated Sea Eagles (eliminated)

Week 3:

Dragons defeated Broncos (eliminated)
Wests Tigers defeated Eels (eliminated)

Grand Final:

Dragons defeated Wests Tigers (eliminated)

Premiers: Dragons

Broncos drop from 1st to 3rd on for and against. I had the Broncos on 38 points, but their loss to the Eagles pushed them down. Knights drop to last.

Latest posts