What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Final Ticket Sales?

yakstorm

First Grade
miccle said:
... and it's all just made that one bit worse when everyone knows the game would attract 50k in Brisbane.

Thinking about it more, I can't see why Brisbane shouldn't host the WC final. I know it'd still sellout in Sydney no doubt beacuse of the size of the event, but I just don't feel that Sydney have earned it.

A World Cup final is more of a TV event, than a crowd puller, so honestly I think Suncorp is perfect. A packed Suncorp looks better and sounds better on TV than a packed Telstra.

Throw in the fact, Suncorp has better corporate facilities which are closer to the action than Telstra and will ensure those who are lucky enough to get a seat to the final can see the game.

Another big factor for holding a final in Brisbane is that those international diehards in Sydney will travel north for a final, and have shown that for the last couple of ANZAC tests and this years Tri-Nations match, however understandably the appeal is a lot less for someone outside of NSW to travel to Sydney for one of their tests.

Brutus

Referee
TrevorAllan said:
It's not hard to see why Sydney struggles. You look at the paper yesterday and the so-called rugby league journalist Dean Ritchie had obviously spent Wednesday tracking down one of the passengers on the trans-tasman flight who had to move because of Long and Gleeson's rather grating rendition of "Please release me". The story was already dead (Long having departed Monday) and the plane antics were hardly newsworthy....but Ritchie (or the sports editor's) news judgement told him otherwise.

Dean Ritchie is a shocking RL journalist. I just wish he'd piss off to union or AFL or something.

ali

Bench
TrevorAllan said:
It's not hard to see why Sydney struggles. You look at the paper yesterday and the so-called rugby league journalist Dean Ritchie had obviously spent Wednesday tracking down one of the passengers on the trans-tasman flight who had to move because of Long and Gleeson's rather grating rendition of "Please release me". The story was already dead (Long having departed Monday) and the plane antics were hardly newsworthy....but Ritchie (or the sports editor's) news judgement told him otherwise.

This, when the GB team were still in Sydney. To think they could have interviewed new halfback Horne, perhaps done a farewell piece with Morley, talked to Peacock or whatever...

At least Ricketts and co up in Brisbane have some passion and interest for the game, the contest, not just the "controversy".

God knows what the Sydney media will cook up next week. Maybe Willie Mason will fart in his sleep or something........No wonder people lose interest in attending the actual game when they are fed a constant diet of this crap.

Well said, this is a massive problem. Ritchie is part of the massive problem.

Brutus said:
Dean Ritchie is a shocking RL journalist. I just wish he'd piss off to union or AFL or something.
I remember last year when Ritchie did that story about ARL officials living it up on a junket to England and France during last year's 3N (by the way I have no doubt they were to some extent but no more than any body in their position). Terry Quinn (CRL boss) was over there talking to the FFRXIII about touring Country NSW this year (which fell through) and he was one of the blokes targetted in the story. Quinny went to Ritchie's hotel room and thumped on the door and yelled abuse at him. Ritchie didn't come out to face him, but instead wrote in the Tele about being threated by a drunken league official. I wish he'd stepped outside his room because he had every reason to be scared. Quinny probably would have thumped him and how good that would have been. I wouldn't be surprised if he caught up with him one day. Hope he does. He is one of the worst. he should just stick to the NRL and all the bullsh*t that comes with it and leave internationals to the likes of Mascord.

East Coast Tiger said:
I remember last year when Ritchie did that story about ARL officials living it up on a junket to England and France during last year's 3N (by the way I have no doubt they were to some extent but no more than any body in their position). Terry Quinn (CRL boss) was over there talking to the FFRXIII about touring Country NSW this year (which fell through) and he was one of the blokes targetted in the story. Quinny went to Ritchie's hotel room and thumped on the door and yelled abuse at him. Ritchie didn't come out to face him, but instead wrote in the Tele about being threated by a drunken league official. I wish he'd stepped outside his room because he had every reason to be scared. Quinny probably would have thumped him and how good that would have been. I wouldn't be surprised if he caught up with him one day. Hope he does. He is one of the worst. he should just stick to the NRL and all the bullsh*t that comes with it and leave internationals to the likes of Mascord.

Yep Ritchie is a real c**k.

I remember last year when the Aussies were about to play the French, and he just stuck the boot in severely....What is the point of that I ask you? Absolute wanker.

langpark

First Grade
Brutus said:
I'd always hated him coz he's so anti-Qld on Main Game, but i met him last year and (for wat it's worth) he's a really nice guy. But still, i disagree with most of his opinions

carlnz

Bench
mattyg said:
I'll be buying mine next week. I think that PAX of 14k odd will at least double in the week building up to the game. Especially if Mason gets his head in the papers and on the news again. If its NZ the opposition, the crowd will definately break 30k.

Kidwell vs Mason

Its a promoters dream!!!

salivor

First Grade
RHYTHM AND STEALTH said:
Whats the capacity

42,000 compared to 52,500 for Suncorp. Just another reason why the final shouldn't be played there, 1. Sydney have shown for several years now they don't care about International RL and then we play it at a stadium that holds 10,500 less spectators than a stadium that would be almost guaranteed to sell out the final.

bender

Juniors
I honestly think that Sydney should get very little, if any of the world cup. Maybe a Lebanese pool game or two to be played at parramatta stadium, but that is about it.

The final Should be played in Townsville. That guarantees a sellout, regardless of who is playing (How many would show in Brisbane or Sydney if Australia were knocked out in the semis in a one off defeat to New Zealand or England?). The Townsville final would sell out before a ball is kicked. Plus the atmosphere, media coverage and excitement of an early final would result in a Townsville group game (say Wales vs Ireland or whatever) also receiving greater interest than normal and getting very good games. The Semi Finals must go to Brisbane/Newcastle and a New Zealand city, presumably not Auckland. The remaining Australian games cannot possibly be wasted on Sydney and must be played somewhere that a crowd can be guaranteed - probably Melbourne or Brisbane. If there is a gamble on somewhere it will and should be an area like Perth or Adelaide, where some promotional good can come of it. The NZ Group games will obviously be in New Zealand. The PNG Group games will be in PNG where they will guarantee a sell out. It just doesnt leave any room for Sydney

Brutus

Referee
East Coast Tiger said:

Totally agree. Ritchie is good for nothing more than NRL "drunken rampage" stories and shouldn't be allowed to go anywhere near the international game. He's a slob hack.

langpark

First Grade
bender said:
I honestly think that Sydney should get very little, if any of the world cup. Maybe a Lebanese pool game or two to be played at parramatta stadium, but that is about it.

The final Should be played in Townsville. That guarantees a sellout, regardless of who is playing (How many would show in Brisbane or Sydney if Australia were knocked out in the semis in a one off defeat to New Zealand or England?). The Townsville final would sell out before a ball is kicked. Plus the atmosphere, media coverage and excitement of an early final would result in a Townsville group game (say Wales vs Ireland or whatever) also receiving greater interest than normal and getting very good games. The Semi Finals must go to Brisbane/Newcastle and a New Zealand city, presumably not Auckland. The remaining Australian games cannot possibly be wasted on Sydney and must be played somewhere that a crowd can be guaranteed - probably Melbourne or Brisbane. If there is a gamble on somewhere it will and should be an area like Perth or Adelaide, where some promotional good can come of it. The NZ Group games will obviously be in New Zealand. The PNG Group games will be in PNG where they will guarantee a sell out. It just doesnt leave any room for Sydney
You can't be serious!? Suncorp would sellout the final even if it was an England v NZ final. Having said that i do think Telstra should get the final, our biggest showpiece at our biggest stadium seems fitting. And besides, deep down we all know 100% that Telstra Stadium WILL get the final

salivor said:
42,000 compared to 52,500 for Suncorp. Just another reason why the final shouldn't be played there, 1. Sydney have shown for several years now they don't care about International RL and then we play it at a stadium that holds 10,500 less spectators than a stadium that would be almost guaranteed to sell out the final.

Cheers

Im flying over on Wednesday for the Final so im doing my part:crazy:

Brutus

Referee
There is no guarantee Telstra Stadium would sell-out the RL world cup final.

I'd reckon 60,000 tops for an Aus v NZ or Eng final.

salivor

First Grade
Exactly Brutus, they can't even sell it out for Origin these days, why would the Sydney public turn out for a WC final?

salivor

First Grade
robyalvaro said:
WC Grand Final in Townsville.. LOL great image.

It's barely worth commenting on it's so stupid. Why not just play it down at my local park, we could get about 500 jammed in there so at least we'll sell it out. I think league can aim a little higher than 25k at Dairy Farmers Stadium. The pool games though should definetly be taken to the likes of Townsville and Newcastle who will get out and support the games.