What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Finals Footy should be dropped

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
I think the MP deserves more than a measly $100,000 prize.

They get a home final.
They are not knocked out if they lose week 1.
They play 8th spot in week 1.
If they beat 8th spot they get a week off and are a win away from the grand final.

Financially they may deserve more, if their marketing and sponsorship departments are up to it they will.

loveleague

Juniors
I do think that the current finals system is unfair. Theoretically a team that wins the minor premiership and loses say four games, plays a team that finishes eighth and wins only half their games. There needs to be more emphasis on the regular season and I think the EPL is so successful because of it's cutthroat nature. I know revenue is important and therefore I would have a straight semi and a final, If you cant make the top four, then you were not good enough - it is as simple as that. In theory with the current system, you could rest players and take it easy until the last half of the season and still make the playoffs, that sounds ridiculous, but an inherent possibility under the current playoff system. 24 games is more than enough time to show you are a worthy contender for the top 4.

They get a home final.
They are not knocked out if they lose week 1.
They play 8th spot in week 1.
If they beat 8th spot they get a week off and are a win away from the grand final.

Financially they may deserve more, if their marketing and sponsorship departments are up to it they will.

They also lose the recognition of their season if they don't "win the comp"

I'd like to see the MP be celebrated as the highest prize of the NRL season and the "finals" being the equivalent of a knockout cup just for the top 8.

Timbo

Staff member
If we had a Cup competition I'd be for it.

But we don't, so I'm not.

The competition is not merely about finding the best team. It is just as much about entertainment and giving the fans reason to care. If it comes down to top 4, then half the teams' fanbase will lose interest 10 rounds before the end. Teams need to have something to play for, for as long as practicable. Pride is not enough.

Canard

Immortal

I'd like to see the MP be celebrated as the highest prize of the NRL season and the "finals" being the equivalent of a knockout cup just for the top 8.

If it makes you feel better why don't you celebrate it that way.

Get some shirts made up, get Timmah to make you a banner and go out on the piss for a few weeks.

You can also go around telling people that the GF doesn't matter and its just a cup knockout in your mind.

Everyone's happy then.

typicalfan

Coach
Minor Premiers are always remembered. They are remembered fondly when they take their form into the finals and they are remembered less than fondly when they get bundled out.

Finals is the bread and butter for Rugby League. Teams testing their mettle in big games, having to beat strong opposition each week to survive knowing they also need to win to survive.

It is an arena where the cream of the crop shine like Lockyer, Marshall, Slater etc.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal

Since grand finals were instituted the purpose of the rounds is to get yourself in the best possible position to take advantage of the finals system. If you are good enough to finish at the top then you should be good enough to win finals. If you're not then learn from it and win it the next time you have a chance.

loveleague

Juniors
The competition is not merely about finding the best team. It is just as much about entertainment and giving the fans reason to care. If it comes down to top 4, then half the teams' fanbase will lose interest 10 rounds before the end. Teams need to have something to play for, for as long as practicable. Pride is not enough.

If you had a top four comp, teams would lift their game, it is as much about winning as entertaining and it is a fact of life that certain teams will always languish. It is up to them to lift their game. your parochialism is admirable, but mediocrity should not be rewarded.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Disagree on this, it makes the comp unpredictable unlike some first past the post contests in europe particularly the EPL where its a 2 or 3 horse race by halfway mark. First past the post is not in the australian sporting dna just like the championship game isn't in british sporting dna (although SL has done a decent job with the GF)

My only complaint is 8 is too many and it should be 6 but i get that the tv networks need more games not less.

If you had a top four comp, teams would lift their game, it is as much about winning as entertaining and it is a fact of life that certain teams will always languish. It is up to them to lift their game. your parochialism is admirable, but mediocrity should not be rewarded.

Your stupidity is refreshing, naah not really.
You want to avoid mediocrity? Get rid of the salary cap and non-incentivised NRL grants.

The NRL is an entertainment business. The last thing they need is fans losing interest halfway through the season because their team can't make the finals. The current finals system strikes a perfect balance between rewarding regular season performance and giving teams something to play for throughout the entire season.

Even then, it's highly unlikely that a team that only scrapes into the 8 should win the Grand Final, I don't think anyone's ever won it from outside the top 4.

This year's Warriors may be the first exceptions to that rule. Hopefully.

loveleague

Juniors
Your stupidity is refreshing, naah not really.
You want to avoid mediocrity? Get rid of the salary cap and non-incentivised NRL grants.

The NRL is an entertainment business. The last thing they need is fans losing interest halfway through the season because their team can't make the finals. The current finals system strikes a perfect balance between rewarding regular season performance and giving teams something to play for throughout the entire season.

Even then, it's highly unlikely that a team that only scrapes into the 8 should win the Grand Final, I don't think anyone's ever won it from outside the top 4.

This year's Warriors may be the first exceptions to that rule. Hopefully.

Spare me the insults mate - It doesn't reward the teams who excel - you miss my point, why should teams with a vastly inferior win-loss ratio even be in the running - I support the warriors, but they wouldn't be in the playoffs with my preferred top 4. In my opinion the regular season should count for more - I dont know what revenue is generated from the finals or the financial status of each club but all I am saying is I do not like the current model.

eozsmiles

Bench
Too many variables during the current regular season for the minor premiers to claim the prize. First thing needed would be a full home and away draw so that all teams play each other twice. Then they'd have to move rep footy because it disadvantages clubs mid season.

Eels Dude

Coach
If it was first past the post a lot of fans would lose interest in the competition a third of the way through the season once it became impossible for their club to win the premiership. I'd certainly be one.

HowHigh

Coach
I wouldn't mind seeing a top 5 again...doesn't seem right a team can finish with a negative win loss ratio and make the finals

Xfactor1979

Bench
Its different compared to the culture of say... the AFL, where the minor premiership means nothing

Rugby League is a more violent, vicious game, the scoreboard doesnt matter as much.