What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Finals schedule

Status
Not open for further replies.

no name

Coach
Apparently the swans have ANZ booked for the Saturday and wallabies suncorp the same night. If everything goes as expected id say it will be the following:

Fri: 5 (Bris) v 8 (GC/WT)

Sat: Melb home game
Canberra or Sharks home game (Sharks SFS)

Sun: dogs v panthers at ANZ
How can they have ANZ 'booked'?
Neither comps know what's going to happen, if it does come to a showdown, why should NRL lose out?
Do AFL pay more to play there?

Vic Mackey

Referee
How can they have ANZ 'booked'?
Neither comps know what's going to happen, if it does come to a showdown, why should NRL lose out?
Do AFL pay more to play there?

It's been confirmed swans play there 3.20pm Saturday 2 weeks away

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Apparently the swans have ANZ booked for the Saturday and wallabies suncorp the same night. If everything goes as expected id say it will be the following:

Fri: 5 (Bris) v 8 (GC/WT)

Sat: Melb home game
Canberra or Sharks home game (Sharks SFS)

Sun: dogs v panthers at ANZ

Sounds about right. Imagine a Broncos/Titans semi on a Friday night. It would probably out draw the Rugby test.

TheFrog

Coach
It's been confirmed swans play there 3.20pm Saturday 2 weeks away
Only if they lose next week. Otherwise it'll be GWS. One of the Sydney teams will have a home final in week 3 of their comp as well (week 2 of NRL finals).

The GWS home final in Week 2 or 3 is going to be a nightmare for the AFL. They'd be better off moving it to the away team's city. Even with a successful team on-field, the new club just hasn't captured a following in its target area.

Last edited:

Vic Mackey

Referee
Only if they lose next week. Otherwise it'll be GWS. One of the Sydney teams will have a home final in week 3 of their comp as well (week 2 of NRL finals).

I'm certainly not an AFL fan but I've seen it confirmed on social media and believe what moffla says below is true

Swans are playing GWS there. Seasons over, the AFL have introduced this stupid one week off before finals idea to stop teams resting players

TheFrog

Coach
My apologies, they have a week off for some reason it seems. Still, with Sydney and GWS finishing 1 and 4, it means there will be AFL finals in Sydney for 3 successive weekends, which will be Week 1 to 3 of our finals series as well.

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
its a joke that anz can confirm swans can have saturday without the nrl being finished...

but its all money... Swans v GWS will get 60k... and dogs v panthers or whatever will get 25k...

they are running a business, not a charity...

if well all collectively got of our arses and said to ourselves, we are not going to let an AFL side be the best attended single team in this city, then we would have some commercial and political clout...

sadly we have neither,,, the afl could decide to play this derby on friday sat or sunday at anz and there is f**k all we or the nrl can do about it...

sad,,, but true...

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
if the nrl has balls and dogs have a home final they could in theory say, move the f**king swans game,, or we move the grand final ... for the next 10 years.

but we know they have no balls, or hand

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
i hate afl ... but swans finals at anz get about 45k on average... and GWS have about 10 k fans...

add members, plus 2 weeks to pump up the game with a sydney media that is full of vic expats,,,

i hate to say but 60k is conservative...

TheFrog

Coach
. Swans v GWS will get 60k... and dogs v panthers or whatever will get 25k...

Swans vs GWS at the Showground next door got 21,000 this year. At the SCG they got 37,000.
Swans vs North Melb in final last year at ANZ got 31,000. That's if you can believe AFL crowd figures.
Last time Penrith and Bulldogs met in a finals match at ANZ (2014 Wk3) got 46,000.

Raiderdave

First Grade
i hate afl ... but swans finals at anz get about 45k on average... and GWS have about 10 k fans...

add members, plus 2 weeks to pump up the game with a sydney media that is full of vic expats,,,

i hate to say but 60k is conservative...
Lol
The fudgets 10K are just western Sydney based swines fans getting their fortnightly fix of live fumbling bumbling n missing... they're all ex pat sthn drop kicks too.
The fudgets would barely have 2K of their own followers lol

There are about 45K vickykicky fans in Sydney full stop.

The NRL needs to bombard the media in Sydney with this final round of fixtures throwing up scenarios left right & centre giving the singletball final no free air at all.

Last edited:

big hit!

Bench
Lol
The fudgets 10K are just western Sydney based swines fans getting their fortnightly fix of live fumbling bumbling n missing... they're all ex pat sthn drop kicks too.
The fudgets would barely have 2K of their own followers lol

There are about 45K vickykicky fans in Sydney full stop.

The NRL needs to bombard the media in Sydney with this final round of fixtures throwing up scenarios left right & centre giving the singletball final no free air at all.

Geez, insecurity much? I don't get the one game is great and the other is totally shit mentality. The reality is if you were born and grew up in Victoria or Sth or west Oz, you'd more than likely be an Aussie rules fanatic.

Now re NRL final round scheduling......the League need to play some games where results affect other games and have a bearing on the finals, at the same time......tigers/raiders will know what their situation is when they wake up on Sunday morning. Sharks and Titans not as lucky.

Valheru

Coach
I am not sure what the issue is here with the AFL at ANZ? At best there will only be one game hosted at ANZ in week 1 for the NRL and it will be the Bulldogs hosting as the 5th or 6th placed team. They are likely to finish 6th and correct me if I am wrong but hasn't every 6th vs 7th placed match since the re-introduction of the finals system in 2012 been played on the Sunday? (Maybe not 2014 as that is the only one I can't remember).

The Rugby test is the bigger issue TBH as it is on a Saturday night when ideally the 5th placed Broncos will be playing whoever finishes 8th. That means they will have to put the Broncos on Friday with 1v4 being the 4PM Saturday game.

Paullyboy

Coach
For f**ks sake, do you blokes have to worry about AFL all the time? Let's talk about our finals.

Back to the original reason I started this thread, looks like the Raiders should have the 755pm Saturday night game. That actually works out alright, so I'm happy with that.

Paullyboy

Coach
The Rugby test is the bigger issue TBH as it is on a Saturday night when ideally the 5th placed Broncos will be playing whoever finishes 8th. That means they will have to put the Broncos on Friday with 1v4 being the 4PM Saturday game.

Why couldn't the put the Broncos on the Sunday? Would be a crackerjack slot for it. I reckon it'd sell out.

dogz08

First Grade
The Rugby test is the bigger issue TBH as it is on a Saturday night when ideally the 5th placed Broncos will be playing whoever finishes 8th. That means they will have to put the Broncos on Friday

not sure it's fair for the tigers to play the broncos on a friday night after a 5 day turn around, but same could be said for the panthers if they have to play the bulldogs on friday

Status
Not open for further replies.