What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Finals schedule

Status
Not open for further replies.

BWNB

First Grade
The finals system is skewed against teams like the Raiders and the Knights.

If we win week one and earn a home preliminary final, we have to play it in Sydney. So we could potentially host a "home" prelim against the Sharks or Bulldogs in their city.

It's ridiculous.
No its not. What is ridiculous is that we will finish 1 or 2 and not get a home final in week 1.

Danish

Referee
I can pretty much say with a certainty that if the Raiders do get to "host" a prelim I'm Sydney, the NRL will undoubtedly schedule it on Friday night. They are just that stupid.

As for week 1 games. Traditionally 1st gets the Sunday slot, or the Friday slot..... Except when the NRL are rigging the whole comp towards a souffs premiership of course. Then they make 1st share a double header on Saturday night

adamkungl

Immortal
Pretty silly Townsville is allowed in week 3 but not Canberra or Newcastle.

All preliminary finals should be at Suncorp, Sfs, anz, etihad or Eden Park. Min 40k capacity.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
As for week 1 games. Traditionally 1st gets the Sunday slot, or the Friday slot..... Except when the NRL are rigging the whole comp towards a souffs premiership of course. Then they make 1st share a double header on Saturday night
Completely 100% incorrect.

There is no set order for Week 1 - scheduling simply comes down to ground availability and what NRL & the networks decide works best.

But make it about your bitter take on 2014... sure.

dannyt

Coach
No its not. What is ridiculous is that we will finish 1 or 2 and not get a home final in week 1.
Well, blame Buzz Rothfield after his constant media attacks against us in 2009 and 2010 when we refused to give up our home ground advantage for week 1 of the semis.

Danish

Referee
Completely 100% incorrect.

There is no set order for Week 1 - scheduling simply comes down to ground availability and what NRL & the networks decide works best.

But make it about your bitter take on 2014... sure.

Every year for at least the past 16 years the minor premier has played on either Friday or Sunday in the premier slot....

... Except for 2013-2014, when we were bumped to Saturday (including a double header one year) so glorious souffs could have the Friday finals game.

RockWheel

Bench
Every year for at least the past 16 years the minor premier has played on either Friday or Sunday in the premier slot....

... Except for 2013-2014, when we were bumped to Saturday (including a double header one year) so glorious souffs could have the Friday finals game.
Except for most of those years we used the McIntyre finals, meaning that 1v8 had to be played after the other games. Now we use a different finals system where the results of finals don't impact upon others, so there's no set order and Channel 9 will probably pick whatever they think rates well. Last year Souths played Sunday and Roosters played Friday in week 1.

Timmah

Staff member
This is gold.

YOUR club's "#1 fan" Buzz Rothfield led the Tele crusade against the Dragons playing home finals at Kogarah in the late part of last decade... now it's coming back to bite his club lol

Timmah

Staff member

1 v 8 under McIntyre was played Sunday in most cases - yes.

When we moved from McIntyre to the current system, that was abandoned. It's been discretionary since 2012.

And you got the prized Friday slot last year, so what are you sooking about?

Danish

Referee
1 v 8 under McIntyre was played Sunday in most cases - yes.

When we moved from McIntyre to the current system, that was abandoned. It's been discretionary since 2012.

And you got the prized Friday slot last year, so what are you sooking about?

The fact Souths got prized spot in 2013 and 2014. I thought I made that quite obvious.

The NRL were hoping for a souffs title since 2012, and pulled out all the stops in 2014

Card Shark

Immortal
This is gold.

YOUR club's "#1 fan" Buzz Rothfield led the Tele crusade against the Dragons playing home finals at Kogarah in the late part of last decade... now it's coming back to bite his club lol

It's a wonder he's not leading the crusade to have this policy reversed. Tosser!

Playing our home game at the SFS is not bad for us. Our supporters are relatively quiet at Shark Park.

Wasn't much noise made against the Raiders to annoy the refs & inspire our boys but at the SFS, we get a hell of a lot more into it.

Valheru

Coach
I'm more concerned about timings for week 1 only, I've got my wedding scheduled for the Saturday and I'd be gutted if I had to postpone it because the raiders got a Saturday game.

Given the Raiders current position I would put it at 80%+ chance of their fixture being a Saturday game. There is no way Storm vs cowboys/dogs is not Friday night. If they fall to 5th they might get Sunday. Still, they get a double chance so I don't think postponing your wedding is necessary..

As Timmah said, whilst the opponents can be worked out quickly, the actual day and time of each finals match in Week 1 is completely up to the NRL. That is how Souths got prime spot in the 2013 and 2014 finals series playing their game in week 1 of the finals on a Friday night as the NRL thought it would rate better.

Hence we won't know for certain until the completion of Round 26.

adamkungl

Immortal
Sharks game will be great at the SFS. 30k+ crowd everyone hoping they beat the out-of-towners.

SBD82

Coach
I guess they would also have to take into consideration what city the games are played.

Even the NRL surely wouldn't be stupid enough to play two Sydney finals on a Saturday, and nothing in Sydney Friday and Sunday.

Front-Rower

First Grade
It is 1358km from Townsville to Brisbane

Its is 289km from Canberra to Sydney, I can see the difference.

Canberra isn't in NSW...

It's ludicrous that in a system that was designed to reward teams that finish higher and improve crowd numbers that Canberra may have to take their home semi final from their Territory to another State.

It's not like Canberra is back o' Bourke either, it's our nations capital city!!

Sleep

Juniors
The current system sucks and I don't see how it was an upgrade over the former. One and two were safe and had the advantage of a second bite no matter what but now have to play third and fourth as opposed to seventh and eighth. Instead of playing fourth, fifth gets to play eighth.

Should be 1 & 2 get the first week off. 3 plays 8, 4 plays 7 and 5 plays 6. No second chances. No depending on other results. You lose, you're out.

SBD82

Coach
The current system sucks and I don't see how it was an upgrade over the former. One and two were safe and had the advantage of a second bite no matter what but now have to play third and fourth as opposed to seventh and eighth. Instead of playing fourth, fifth gets to play eighth.

Should be 1 & 2 get the first week off. 3 plays 8, 4 plays 7 and 5 plays 6. No second chances. No depending on other results. You lose, you're out.
I prefer it as a way of rewarding 3rd and 4th. I hated that they could be knocked out the first week depending on other results.

Timmah

Staff member
The fact Souths got prized spot in 2013 and 2014. I thought I made that quite obvious.

The NRL were hoping for a souffs title since 2012, and pulled out all the stops in 2014
Oh get f**king real. Surely you're smart enough to believe in such rubbish conspiracy bullshit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts