What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Finals schedule

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
3rd and 4th don't deserve a chance to be dropped week one. Current system is the best deal.

(I'd prefer a top six but that's another story)

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
The finals system is skewed against teams like the Raiders and the Knights.

If we win week one and earn a home preliminary final, we have to play it in Sydney. So we could potentially host a "home" prelim against the Sharks or Bulldogs in their city.

It's ridiculous.

Im fairly certain thats not true. The ARLC wont have finals payed in suburban grounds, but im sure they would allow them to play in regional cities. In 2012, Canberra was allowed to host a final....

As for the OP, the ARLC choses when each game is so we dont get a ridiculous situation like NZ hosting a game on Friday.

The mix generally seems to be:
Friday - top 4 match
Saturday - Top + bottom 4 matches
Sunday - Bottom 4 match

But that could change whenever

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
3rd and 4th don't deserve a chance to be dropped week one. Current system is the best deal.

(I'd prefer a top six but that's another story)

I hate finals matches that arent sudden death, there is so much less at stake...

I agree that some teams deserve an easier run, but id rather they just had the week off than be given a dead-rubber match

Walt Flanigan

Referee
Im fairly certain thats not true. The ARLC wont have finals payed in suburban grounds, but im sure they would allow them to play in regional cities. In 2012, Canberra was allowed to host a final....

We hosted an opening round final that year.

Canberra can host the first 2 weeks but not the 3rd (Preliminary).

I don’t have a massive problem with it TBH. The Preliminary Finals should be held at large stadiums.

Sleep

Juniors
I prefer it as a way of rewarding 3rd and 4th. I hated that they could be knocked out the first week depending on other results.

The way I explained it, third and fourth would be playing seventh and eighth and first and second are rewarded. Under the current system first and second are disadvantaged compared to the old one which had it's flaws as well.

If you come third and fourth and lose to seventh or eighth you've got no one to blame but yourself. First and second should be the priority for reward and as it currently stands that's not the case.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member

As for the OP, the ARLC choses when each game is so we dont get a ridiculous situation like NZ hosting a game on Friday.

The mix generally seems to be:
Friday - top 4 match
Saturday - Top + bottom 4 matches
Sunday - Bottom 4 match

But that could change whenever
The schedule allowance differs by week - Canberra and Newcastle can host Qual/Elim and Semi Finals, but not Prelims.

I hate finals matches that arent sudden death, there is so much less at stake...

I agree that some teams deserve an easier run, but id rather they just had the week off than be given a dead-rubber match
Agree to disagree here, I think having a home prelim final at stake is pretty big!

SBD82

Coach
The way I explained it, third and fourth would be playing seventh and eighth and first and second are rewarded. Under the current system first and second are disadvantaged compared to the old one which had it's flaws as well.

If you come third and fourth and lose to seventh or eighth you've got no one to blame but yourself. First and second should be the priority for reward and as it currently stands that's not the case.
I understand your point of rewarding 1st and 2nd, but I still think 3rd and 4th deserve better.

I like the current system because 3rd and 4th get a better shot, and they deserve that for their work through the season.

League is a game where any team can beat any team on any given day, especially when you factor in suspensions and injuries.

I think the bottom 8 shouldn't be able to get a straight ride to a prelim because they happen to run into a team that is off for one game. The fact that 8 teams from a 16 team comp (15 this year) make the finals means that 8th is already rewarded by having a shot at the finals, despite being only average.

Just to clear up any doubts, this is what the NRL's website says regarding Final's venues-

Home Venues Explained
Week One: Qualifying Finals & Elimination Finals

The highest qualifying teams after 26 Rounds will host each match at their normal home venue, with exception to any Sydney based NRL club which will play their 'home game' at either the Allianz Stadium or ANZ Stadium.

The following home City venues may qualify to host a Final in Week 1:

New South Wales / ACT:
Sydney: Allianz Stadium, ANZ Stadium
Canberra: GIO Stadium
Newcastle: Hunter Stadium

Queensland:

Brisbane: Suncorp Stadium
Gold Coast: Cbus Super Stadium
Townsville: 1300SMILES Stadium

Victoria:
Melbourne: AAMI Park, Etihad Stadium, MCG

New Zealand:
Auckland: Mt Smart Stadium.

Week Two: Semi Finals
The highest qualifying teams in each match (winners 3 & 4) will host in their home city.

The following home City venues may qualify to host a Final in Week 2:

New South Wales / ACT:
Sydney: Allianz Stadium, ANZ Stadium
Canberra: GIO Stadium
Newcastle: Hunter Stadium

Queensland:

Brisbane: Suncorp Stadium
Gold Coast: Cbus Super Stadium
Townsville: 1300SMILES Stadium

Victoria:
Melbourne: AAMI Park, Etihad Stadium, MCG

New Zealand:
Auckland: Mt Smart Stadium.

* A decision on which days both Finals will be played will be made following the completion of Week 1

Week Three: Preliminary Finals
The highest qualifying teams in each match (winners 1 & 2) will host in their home Region.

The following Regions and venues may qualify to host a Final in Week 3:

New South Wales/ACT Region (Sydney, Newcastle, Wollongong, Canberra):

Allianz Stadium, ANZ Stadium

Queensland:
South East Queensland Region (Brisbane, Gold Coast): Suncorp Stadium
North Queensland Region (Townsville): 1300SMILES Stadium

Victoria Region (Melbourne):
AAMI Park, Etihad Stadium, MCG

New Zealand Region (Auckland):
Mt Smart Stadium, Eden Park.

* A decision on which days both Finals will be played will be made following the completion of Week 2

Hope that is of some help.

Danish

Referee
Oh get f**king real. Surely you're smart enough to believe in such rubbish conspiracy bullshit.

They had Souths Friday night final pencilled in about 8 weeks out from the final. I know this because I contacted the NRL about a potential clash with ANZ maybe being booked by the Swans for a finals game on the Saturday of our week 1 finals, and was told at that time that they had "something special" lined up for that outcome already (obviously the double header).

- over 30% more penalties awarded than any other team in league history
- Taking no action until after the season on Auva despite a guilty domestic violence verdict
- Countless sweetheart deals at the judiciary for the sparkly eyed man and others
- Turning ANZ into a home game with the stupid bell and Souths theme song blaring for the GF
- Allowing Burgess to stay on the field despite a very clear and obvious concussion in the opening tackle of the GF

I'm sure others could add more

They didn't rig games, but they desperately wanted the fairytale to come off after multiple chokes in the previous 2 seasons.

If you don't actually think sports organisations are capable of and have applied favouritism based what's best for their coffers then your are truly naive. It happens in all sports leagues around the world.

Sleep

Juniors
I understand your point of rewarding 1st and 2nd, but I still think 3rd and 4th deserve better.

I like the current system because 3rd and 4th get a better shot, and they deserve that for their work through the season.

League is a game where any team can beat any team on any given day, especially when you factor in suspensions and injuries.

I think the bottom 8 shouldn't be able to get a straight ride to a prelim because they happen to run into a team that is off for one game. The fact that 8 teams from a 16 team comp (15 this year) make the finals means that 8th is already rewarded by having a shot at the finals, despite being only average.

Third and fourth would be playing seventh and eighth which is a pretty good reward. They get to play the worst of the teams in the finals. If they can't beat seventh and eighth respectively they can't be seriously expected to go far anyway.

SBD82

Coach
Third and fourth would be playing seventh and eighth which is a pretty good reward. They get to play the worst of the teams in the finals. If they can't beat seventh and eighth respectively they can't be seriously expected to go far anyway.
The team currently in 1st was yesterday beaten by the team that moved into 8th.

I don't think that you can infer from that game that Melbourne can't be seriously expected to go far in the premiership. I think it's rather that any team can have an off day or any team can have a day where the footy gods smile on them

thorson1987

Coach
The team currently in 1st was yesterday beaten by the team that moved into 8th.

I don't think that you can infer from that game that Melbourne can't be seriously expected to go far in the premiership. I think it's rather that any team can have an off day or any team can have a day where the footy gods smile on them

Melbourne played saturday night against Souths and won.

The cowboys were 4th and lost to the side that moved into the 8.

Valheru

Coach
The current system sucks and I don't see how it was an upgrade over the former. One and two were safe and had the advantage of a second bite no matter what but now have to play third and fourth as opposed to seventh and eighth. Instead of playing fourth, fifth gets to play eighth.

Should be 1 & 2 get the first week off. 3 plays 8, 4 plays 7 and 5 plays 6. No second chances. No depending on other results. You lose, you're out.

Right so what happens in week 2? Under your system there are 5 teams left. It would be a disastrous system.

The current system is the best possible top 8 system available that goes over 4 weeks. The McIntyre system works best as a straight knock out, as it is the NRL want 4 weeks of finals with 9 fixtures. The current system more fairly gives that and you only have to look at the ridiculous situation of 2011 where 6th place made the GF after being beaten by 30 in week 1 for proof.

Raiderdave

First Grade
Canberra Stadium holds 27k
It's actual capacity is 25,028

It can accommodate more through standing room & temporary seating , & has held over 29,000 for super rugby finals
The Raiders got 26,476 for the Tigers final in 2010.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts