What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Finals Week 1 vs. Titans Discussion + Voting

user_nat

Coach
I was at the game with my refs ears on and he called held a couple of times very loudly before Hodges took off down field.

If he did, thats a stupid call then. Seeing as no Titans players actually made any attempt to tackle him.

Country Bronco

Juniors
I was at the game with my refs ears on and he called held a couple of times very loudly before Hodges took off down field.

Did they show the replay at the game? You might be better informed making your own decisions rather than listen to the haphazard referees. From the way I see it hodges wasn't even held! He looked to play the ball but then he was told by one referee to play on then the other referee yelled out held and blew the penalty.

beads6

First Grade
Cartwright never hacks a lose though. He is a tool of the highest order. Oh crap we lost blame the ref. Titans got a rough deal first half and the Broncos got a rough deal second half. Get over it TITS

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
Agreed. McCullough gets more valuable as the game goes on. With forwards getting more tired.

Come on people.. Falou deserves votes, the guy got 3 tries.

Nah, Folau got gifted a couple of his tries and was less than impressed with his lack of speed in getting to the line after the intercept... But he is certainly building back up to where he needs to be.

3. Hodges
2. Taylor
1. Wallace

Honourable mention again to Yow Yeh who has been our best back for the last few weeks imo (barring Hodges of course). Setu is really starting to be smarter about his offloads, was very impressed.

Our defence was a massive concern in the second half, wtf happened? The line breaks were 7-2 to the tits!!!

The Hodges incident seemed to show one of the drawbacks of having two refs. He looked in front and the ref didn't seem to have a problem with him playing on but it must have been the ref behind him who called held. The titans player did well to milk the penalty by putting a fingernail on him then quickly taking it off...

austyphoon

Juniors
Great game and was great being there, what a great stadium!!

3.Wallace
2.Taylor
1.Hodges

As mentioned above Yow Yeh has been a revelation, at the start of the year I thought he was a nuffy but the way he has been playing the past 6 weeks he would be my first pick in any side! His kick chase is second to none, always the first there and rarely misses. I'm also happy that Setu has come good, it's taken the whole year but his offloads have given us some second phase play, something that has been lacking.

Wasn't impressed by Lockyers dive, Thought he was better then that. He was only pushed yet he was down for 2 minutes stopping play? Fair go Darren, that's not in the spirit of the game...

Now we are back to Suncorp where we lose all our finals....YAY! lol.

The team bus followed us all the way back and they were flashing us all the time, don't know what that was all about.

ponies 4ever

Juniors
The refereeing was much towards the Titans and helped them get back into the contest in the 2nd half. The decision to penalise Hodges was a JOKE ! Cartwright is always bitching when the Titans lose, suck it up you panther w--ker and take your medicine. I also would like to mention the comments of the buffoon FOOTY SHOW who claim Brisbane were disappointing. Note Broncos are only the 2nd team to beat the Titans at home in '09 in front of a packed house with what they described as an electric "State of Origin " feel. I guess we only put 40 points on them, Gus Gould would only be impressed if it was 70. To clock off in the 2nd half was hardly the best thing but to hang in there and come up with the clutch plays to sink the Titans evrytime the crowd got involved was CLASS. Top stuff Ivan and the mighty '09 Broncos.

Tamwelg

Juniors
If he did, thats a stupid call then. Seeing as no Titans players actually made any attempt to tackle him.

Did they show the replay at the game? You might be better informed making your own decisions rather than listen to the haphazard referees. From the way I see it hodges wasn't even held! He looked to play the ball but then he was told by one referee to play on then the other referee yelled out held and blew the penalty.

Nobody laid a finger on him mate. To call held was the wrong call.

I agree with all of you. No way was Hodges held, but once he made the call he had to give the penalty.

Last edited:

renouf

Juniors
Did you see the Sunday roast today.. they were claiming that the Titans were dudded with refereeing decisions.. ffs, they've been penalising for taking players off the ball ALL YEAR.

God I hope we win this premiership.. all these sydney media types won't know what to say.

Tamwelg

Juniors
Titans fans clutching at straws because they are sore losers.

Nah, not a sore loser at all mate. I think more/all 50/50 call went Broncos way, but even though the decisions didn't go Titans way, Broncos played well and deserved to win. It was a great game to watch and I was thoroughly entertained. Titans played well, but just didn't do the little things right. Congrats on the win Broncs.

ponies 4ever

Juniors
Isn't it amusing that when we were down and out after the Raiders debacle we were the worst Broncos side ever and had forgotton our CULTURE and the media had its field day. Ha ha after six straight wins, yes six we are now only winning on the back of refereeing calls or opportunities the Titans gifted us as Wally Lewis claims. Please, this is no fluke just look at our entry towards the finals for the last 4 to 5 years. Just keep plugging away Ivan and let them slam us every chance they get because this club is CLASS and rises when it matters most. Well done to the Titans for a coureagous comeback but you were weighed, measured and found WANTING !

Country Bronco

Juniors
Nah, not a sore loser at all mate. I think more/all 50/50 call went Broncos way, but even though the decisions didn't go Titans way, Broncos played well and deserved to win. It was a great game to watch and I was thoroughly entertained. Titans played well, but just didn't do the little things right. Congrats on the win Broncs.

We'll leave it at that. Best of luck next week!!!!

Bayside Bronco

Juniors
Can we ban Sims from touching the ball in the last 10 minutes?

I myself and a number of good friends are still in counselling over the incident to which you refer. A repeat would be unthinkable so I share your sentiment. But one day we have to let it go and move on, I feel.

Twigg

Juniors
Didn't take long for the f**king coach to have a full on whinge about the refs. He always has a go whenever we beat them.

But he doesn't mention that Prince was whinging throughout the whole game. He doesn't mention that Walker held his fist high in the air in a victory gesture after hitting Lockyer. He doesn't mention the awful penalty on Hodges when he wasn't held - which happens to lead to a Titans try.

I hope he gets a massive fine.

dex13

Juniors

For the last two weeks, commentators have been commenting about how voluntary tackles should be penalized. If Justin Hodges had of been tackled then its a penalty for a voluntary tackle, which means that in order to avoid a penalty Hodges has to run. So he runs and gets penalized.
That's the problem with Rugby League, Referee don't seem to know the rules.
Then there's Israels so-called obstruction. Israel ran straight, Walker changed directions and instead of running towards the ball he ran straight at Falou. So I agree, it is an obstruction, against the Titans. Earlier in the season, Henjak spoke about opposition teams obstructing Israel under the high ball and that's a perfect example.

dex13

Juniors
I myself and a number of good friends are still in counselling over the incident to which you refer. A repeat would be unthinkable so I share your sentiment. But one day we have to let it go and move on, I feel.

If you're talking about the incident involving Sims in last years finals lose to The Storm you should actually blame Lockyer for that (I feel so dirty for writing that, sorry Lockyer, you're still a LEGEND). The simple fact is that the Storm outsmarted the Broncos in that game. The Broncos where the better team (and I believe they could have gone on to beat manly) But the Storm used dirty play to get under the skin of some of the broncos younger players, getting them angry and causing them to give away silly penalties.
Sims should never have gotten that Ball. It was up to the most experienced player, the captain, to slow things down and put it into touch. So forgive and forget already.