What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Finals Week 2 vs Souths

rednwhites

Juniors
Gareth, coming 6th is poor. Not good enough. Team may be a bit better next year, but same coach, same ending.

We need a strategist, a coach with plans, not a dufus.

From a fan's perspective (and maybe I am a little crazy or fickle or whatever you want to say) but it's not been an enjoyable experience following the team. Even when the team's winning we have to live in paranoia just waiting for us to fall off the perch which we do. every. single. year.

We would have been nervous if Bennett was coaching us tonight because, put simply, we would have been the team to beat. Wayne would have come up with a plan to have fresh legs on the park and a way to shut out the opposition who seemed to give it to us if we wanted it.

Saints111

Juniors
He
Watching

Watching the replay as we speak. I certainly don’t think his kicking game was great but he wasn’t as bad as you make out in your posts. Like it has been pointed out. He had everything thrown at him given he was the only kicker. In addition to that he made 30 tackles as everything was run at him. Like I said I’m proud of the effort they all put in.
Hes a million dollar man. We expect him to win us those tight games . What's Reynolds worth? I'd love to know

ozbuck

Juniors
Hunt is a champion mark my words we have a title brewing you my friend go and worry about where your job are going to be next season front page of play boy

This year had made me unfortunately doubt whether or not Hunt can deliver like a marquee player should in those crunch moments at the end of a game.

I really wish he would, but it's been very disappointing seeing some of his lack of direction and taking the game on at the crucial moments. Really does remind me of Mitchell pearce in so many ways. I'd love to have the perception torn to shreds

Ascalon

Juniors
He

Hes a million dollar man. We expect him to win us those tight games . What's Reynolds worth? I'd love to know
Souths had options. We didnt. Reynolds had walker and Cook to assist. He tried his guts out tonight. I have been critical of him in the latter stages of the season but I’m not tonight. He gave it everything tonight unfortunately some things like the last play didn’t come off. We will have to agree to disagree.

rasaint

Juniors
Hi All don’t over analyse things.

It was a tight game and you need luck. We got some luck with the penalty to put us in front with 31/2 mins to go. They got luck with 3 field goals which threaded through on coming defenders.

High quality defence by both sides.

Ben Hunt played well. The last play actually looked promising with Dufty or Field wrapping but Mann held on. Mann played very well otherwise.

Our main problem was the injury stick hit us at the back end of the season. The injures were season enders to high quality players.We even lost the inspirational Tariq at a crucial time tonight so even if we won loss of quality players would have devastated us against the roosters next week.

I think Greg Inglis may be missing possibly rest of season. Very nasty looking crusher style tackle.

Finally Zac Lomac is a very strong defender and excellent goal kicker. Let’s see how his attack plays out next year.

hewi

Bench
Million dollar halfback? Yeah right. What a f**king shitmerkin

I’m all due respect you are an arm chair warrior. We sit sit back and criticise with no pressure. Ben Hunt got us here with a great effort last week then scored our only try this week, give him a break. The team put in a mighty effort, with Sims gone and other injuries we wouldn’t have won next week. Very proud of the team.

jeffdragon

Bench
Minus
Widdop Vaughan .
Busted jdb sims nene as mary said and friz.
Great effort
Im happy to have Hunt at the club,which other hb can we . Have
Could have would have should have.happens not only in. sport.
Great effort hurts to lose like this but .
THATS SPORT FOR YOU.
BRING ON 2019.

The Damo

Juniors
Hunt noticed we had an overlap and space down that side. Mann had to pass the ball on but instantly stepped inside off his left foot and took the tackle.

We had the space though. In hindsight, hunt should've been first receiver and kicking...but given what happened I believe hunt knew that we had them on that left edge.
Yep, Mann draws and passes and field is in the clear with support or space to kick. Was the wrong call, but he also did plenty right tonight. We were good enough for all but 5 minutes.

barry

Juniors
From a fan's perspective (and maybe I am a little crazy or fickle or whatever you want to say) but it's not been an enjoyable experience following the team. Even when the team's winning we have to live in paranoia just waiting for us to fall off the perch which we do. every. single. year.

We would have been nervous if Bennett was coaching us tonight because, put simply, we would have been the team to beat. Wayne would have come up with a plan to have fresh legs on the park and a way to shut out the opposition who seemed to give it to us if we wanted it.
Couldn’t agree more then this.

Mary’s game plan - go out and play your guts out. No tactical strategy what so ever - attack was non-existent.

Neither JDB, sims or Frizell could walk after the match tonight... what the hell does that say!

rednwhites

Juniors
Neither JDB, sims or Frizell could walk after the match tonight... what the hell does that say!

It tells me something has to be done about Origin. One bye in the season. Freddy got his win and then wanted to bag us the rest of the year. Other clubs had it as bad but their coach managed it better. Yet you can be sure we will hear all the injury excuses in the presser from Mary.

blacksafake

First Grade
Hunt was like the Lone Ranger out there in the last 10. The only kicker on the field so souffs knew who was getting the ball on the last. Would have liked to see McInnes, Mann or Dufty kick as well. On almost every occasion Hunt got it on the last he had to beat 2 defenders before kicking.

Yep, Mann draws and passes and field is in the clear with support or space to kick. Was the wrong call, but he also did plenty right tonight. We were good enough for all but 5 minutes.
Yeah, but those 5 minuites are vital to winning.
We kick to the corner, no telling what happens, you turnover on the fifth, we know what happens.

getsmarty

Immortal
Gutted by the loss..but proud of the effort by the team and coaching staff.

Positives..

Lomax/Lawrie/Periera/ all look good for next year...

We were without Widdop/Vaughan.

Sims got injured and that had a big impact on our left edge defence. Leilua is a talented player but they need to improve his fitness...

All these things are positives moving into 2019.

barry

Juniors
Hunt was like the Lone Ranger out there in the last 10. The only kicker on the field so souffs knew who was getting the ball on the last. Would have liked to see McInnes, Mann or Dufty kick as well. On almost every occasion Hunt got it on the last he had to beat 2 defenders before kicking.

getsmarty

Immortal
duftym-180914_gt_33.jpg

MATCH REPORT

Dragons eliminated in tight thriller
Author
Margie McDonald Senior Reporter
Timestamp
Sat 15 Sep 2018, 10:02 PM

Still nursing a suspect shoulder from a week ago, Adam Reynolds kicked three field goals against the Dragons at ANZ Stadium on Saturday to boot the South Sydney Rabbitohs into the NRL preliminary finals where their arch rivals the Roosters are waiting.

In a bizarre final 10 minutes where the lead change three times, Reynolds emerged the Rabbitohs hero and in doing so a third match in the 2018 Telstra Premiership Finals Series has been decided by one point.

He kicked his first in the 70th minute and then followed with one-pointers in the 77th and 79th minutes to make this victory one for the club's folklore.

On the night that celebrated the Sydney 2000 Olympics opening at the same venue 18 years ago, it seemed almost that long since the Rabbitohs played in a NRL preliminary final.

In fact it was only four years ago in the Rabbitohs' premiership 2014 season, when they met – coincidentally – the Roosters and won 32-22 before beating the Bulldogs in the grand final.

But after the searing physical game Anthony Seibold's men played eight days ago in their 29-28 loss to the Storm, some doubted they would have the spark needed to subdue the Dragons still on a high after their 30-point win over the Broncos last weekend.

Reynolds scores underneath the posts

On top of South Sydney having to lift once more, came the news 48 hours earlier that one of the Rabbitohs' star players – Sam Burgess – was being investigated by his club over allegations of lewd behaviour on social media.

While all that was swirling around Souths, the Dragons had their own problems having lost their skipper and goal-kicker Gareth Widdop, to add to the absence of Paul Vaughan (foot) and Euan Aitken (hamstring), before then losing another NSW Origin forward in Tariq Sims for most of the second half.

Still it was the Dragons that were defying the bookmakers and tipsters early. They took an 8-2 lead into the sheds at the break.

Zac Lomax kicked a penalty to make it 10-2 and the Red V were well and truly on top before Reynolds pumped some energy back into the fatigued legs of the Rabbitohs with a try under the black dot in the 59th minute, then a penalty in the space of four minutes.

All of a sudden scores were level at 10-10 and momentum had swung 180 degrees.

Ben Hunt failed with a field goal attempt in the 69th minute but Reynolds succeeded with his a minute later and with 10 minutes left on the clock it was 11-10 to the Rabbitohs.

Reynolds had scored all his team's points at that stage, and in doing so had collated 200 points for the fourth time in his seven-year first-grade career. But he wasn't done for the evening.

After the Dragons grabbed back the lead through a Lomax penalty goal – he kicked four-from-four in Widdop's absence – Reynolds nailed his second field goal to level scores (12-12) and then kicked the game winner.

Immediately after doing so, Reynolds headed to the western side grandstand where the South Sydney members were seated. He didn't care there was still 15 seconds on the clock.

The match certainly had its mood swings.

After trading penalty goals early, the two sides settled into the arm wrestle. It stayed 2-2 until Hunt scored a fine 35th-minute individual try because the South Sydney defenders were keeping an eye on Tyson Frizell to the halfback's right.

That allowed Hunt to accelerate through a little gap for his first try in seven weeks – and a very welcome one at that.

The Dragons took a slim 8-2 lead into half-time. But the way the Telstra Premiership Finals series has been going, with two games already decided by a point, it could have been a season-defining lead.

The joint venture team also had a 100% record of winning all 12 games this year when they led at half-time.

But in the opening minute of the second half they lost hat-trick hero from last weekend Sims, with a right knee injury. He spent the rest of the match on crutches on the sideline.

Relieved Rabbitohs coach Anthony Seibold singled out young forward Cameron Murray for special mention after he stole possession back from Leeson Ah Mau deep in the Dragons territory ahead of Reynolds' sharp-shooting.

"It was a game changer," Seibold said of 20-year-old Murray's heads-up play, but he also couldn't overlook Reynolds' calmness under fire.

"Adam was on tonight. He scored all our points... very composed. Renno works very hard on his craft. I felt great for him. You get what you deserve and he deserved that tonight."

nrl2018_finals-bracket-week-3_sharks-rabbitohs_1650x1080.jpg

News & Notes: George Burgess had an HIA test in the 4th minute after head clash with his twin Tom and later returned to the field... Jeremy Latimore placed on report in 34th minute for up-ending winger Campbell Graham in a dangerous tackle... Tyson Frizell lost his boot in the 20th minute and played almost two sets before he could get it back off the trainer... Crowd: 48,188.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2018/09/15/rabbitohs-win-a-thriller-against-dragons/

Latest posts