What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Finals Week 2 vs Souths

dannyt

Coach
Sorry I’m trying to move on from last night but I can’t.

Quick question, why wasn’t Cody walker sin binned for holding down frizell after he stripped it from Murray?

Is that not a professional foul
Simple, but I will annoyingly answer your question with a question.

Who was the ref?

getsmarty

Immortal
Hunt ready to unbuckle after first-year roller coaster
AFL
r540_0_3200_2481_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

TOUGH YEAR: Ben Hunt with James Graham. Picture: AAP

DRAGONS halfback Ben Hunt is looking forward to thinking about anything but rugby league after a self-described "roller coaster” first year in the red v.

Saturday's agonising one-point semi-final defeat to South Sydney was indicative of the season the 28-year-old had after joining the club on a highly publicised six-year $6 million deal.

He scored a brilliant solo try for an 8-2 lead at halftime, only to shank an attempted go-ahead field goal and fail to get to a kick at the end of his side's final set, opening the door for Adam Reynolds’match-winning field goal.

It saw him once again wear the brunt of the criticism from fans and commentators for his inability to close the show. Hunt accepted as much in the aftermath.

“It was a pretty big error from me,” Hunt said.

“I thought we had a few numbers on the edge there so I just decided to shift the ball and I should have just played the [high] percentage play, kicked on the last and put them down there end.

“It was just an error on my behalf and it's very disappointing. Those little things in a game that really change an outcome. It gave them the field position and, credit to Reynolds, he's a great player and he kicked three field goals in a row.

“I can't remember watching a game where a side's had three field goals so it was a pretty crazy last 10 minutes. We fought really hard and, unfortunately, we didn't close out the game as well as we should have.”

He similarly frank on his attempt field goal.

“We had field position and we didn't have many opportunities down their end tonight so I thought 'we might not get back here’ so I took the shot and absolutely sprayed it,” he said.

Fronting up, as he has all season in the face of relentless scrutiny, Hunt said he certainly plans to get away from the game after a season in which he became the most talked about player in the NRL.

“The media's part of the game and I'll always come and talk to the media,” Hunt said.

“I'm not going to shy away from it but if I can get away from some things that are written or said I'll do that. You learn different things along the way in how to handle it and get away from it.

“I found it pretty hard at times this year to try and get away from it but I learned some lessons again in how to handle that. I'll have a little reflection but I'll get completely away from footy. I'll have a lot of family time, get back to Queensland and see some friends and family.

“It's been a bit of a roller coaster year but one I'll look back on and appreciate I think. There's been some good times, there's been some hard times and some lessons learned.

“Overall I've been quite pleased with the year and happy for the move. There's a plan going forward, there’s a big core of the team signed for several years. We'll go back to the drawing board, have a big preseason and go again.”

No doubt the biggest question ahead of the preseason will be how to prevent the late-season drop off in form that have plagued recent campaigns, a super impressive 48-18 win over Brisbane in week one of the finals aside

It's a question coach Paul McGregor said he will look at as he reviews the campaign, but he was ultimately satisfied with the club's most successful season since 2011.

“I think if you go back and look at the year every team's going to have period where they're not playing well,” McGregor said.

“Every team in the competition's done that and the top eight teams have done less of it. That's why they finished so [far] clear of ninth position.

“Ours was obviously at the back end of the year after a pretty heavy load through that middle third through the Origin period with players we haven't had in there before.

"With the type of footy we played for the first 10-12 weeks, there has to be a drop in there somewhere because to sustain that week in week out hasn't happened in the competition.

“The competition this year's as close as it's ever been. At the back end we got some injuries at the very wrong time, to be without Gaz [Gareth Widdop] and [Paul] Vaughan was difficult.

“Obviously there'll be a review at the end of the year and we'll look at it. Every team will go through a review and make sure they get things right for the follwing year and out things in place.”

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au...ckle-after-first-year-roller-coaster/?cs=2375

BLM01

First Grade
Gotta say I haven't been a big fan of Lawrie throughout the year but he played 2 very good games in the finals. Ran hard and made a good impact off the bench. Think he might be in for a big year next season.
Agree, had it himself late last year as noticed those bullocking charges in 2017 but maybe errors and fitness in his game held him back (let alone given game time). Done himself proud in the finals and another good off season and his confidence and impact should rise.

mickeylane

Bench
Even us hardcore "hard to please fans" on here have to admit the below facts;
Lawrie
Dufty
Lomax
Leilua
Pereira
Hunt
will all be better players next year for the 1st year experience with the club
1. We lose no players of note except LAM who is being replaced for a like for like
by Korban Sims and at least one other experienced back to be signed.

2. Hunt/ Widdop combo will be more potent after 1st season

3. Mcgregor you feel has come to realise to trust the younger players more - no more so than his experimenting w J Field on the bench in a sudden death semi and throwing him on there w 20 min left i thought was out of character where he couldve plonked an 80% fit Aitken there plus i think that he understands his limitations now and knows his strengths which is giving power to his players and protecting them from any media scrutiny. I thought he really did a good job of protecting them after the Bulldogs debacle where he took all the heat both via the media and online..

Onwards and upwards and looking forward to watching a top 4 team for the next 2-3 years...

BLM01

First Grade
Lawrie
Dufty
Lomax
Leilua
Pereira
Hunt
1. We lose no players of note except LAM who is being replaced for a like for like

3. Mcgregor you feel has come to realise to trust the younger players more - no more so than his experimenting w J Field on the bench in a sudden death semi and throwing him on there w 20 min left i thought was out of character where he couldve plonked an 80% fit Aitken there plus i think that he understands his limitations now and knows his strengths which is giving power to his players and protecting them from any media scrutiny. I thought he really did a good job of protecting them after the Bulldogs debacle where he took all the heat both via the media and online..

Onwards and upwards and looking forward to watching a top 4 team for the next 2-3 years...
I think you will find Field got about the last 10 mins, maybe not even that which I thought was too late. If I am wrong let me know but if I am right... the last 20 it should of been as we were out on our feet

ozbuck

Juniors
So the only try we score doesn't count ?

No of course, not sure where you got that from.

My point was, as I said, those crucial end of game moments where direction and coolness under pressure is needed I haven't seen hunt produce it like a premiership winning half should. It's very Pearce-like

possm

Coach
Lawrie
Dufty
Lomax
Leilua
Pereira
Hunt

Only if Mary is not coach. The two things that costed us against Souths were no obvious plan to take a field goal and bad bench management.

ouryears

Bench
Lawrie
Dufty
Lomax
Leilua
Pereira
Hunt

Sorry but with Mary as coach, top 4 won't be a reality.

There will always be some reason.
My Players are tired, the footy field is too long, damn SOO, tries from kicks, Dufty threw a tantrum, Jimmy knocked him out, Hunt still sooking, Nighty makes a comeback, forgot I had 4 players on the bench, Aitken deserves another chance, the young guns need more time in ISP....

Mary has all the excuses.
He will find a way to come 8th or 9th.

Belta

Juniors
Sorry but with Mary as coach, top 4 won't be a reality.

There will always be some reason.
My Players are tired, the footy field is too long, damn SOO, tries from kicks, Dufty threw a tantrum, Jimmy knocked him out, Hunt still sooking, Nighty makes a comeback, forgot I had 4 players on the bench, Aitken deserves another chance, the young guns need more time in ISP....

Mary has all the excuses.
He will find a way to come 8th or 9th.

Surely not. Surely he’s run out.

We’ve seen an the emergence of a number of players. We will be expected to improve.

Marys stubborn sure, but like a puppy with its nose rubbed in piss, surely even Mary has learnt that making the same mistakes = pain, discomfort and embarrassment.

We have depth. No more cut and paste. Rotate the roster - it’s not that hard.

Surely Gordon’s latest investment in the club has come with an ultimatum;
“....no more excuses....” No more fade outs.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Sorry I’m trying to move on from last night but I can’t.

Quick question, why wasn’t Cody walker sin binned for holding down frizell after he stripped it from Murray?

Is that not a professional foul

Equally, why wasn’t Sam Burgess not called held and/or penalised after he was CLEARLY tackled with only a few minutes left?

Or....

Why wasn’t George Burgess told TWICE not to walk off the mark prior to two of Reynolds’ three field goals?

possm

Coach
Equally, why wasn’t Sam Burgess not called held and/or penalised after he was CLEARLY tackled with only a few minutes left?

Or....

Why wasn’t George Burgess told TWICE not to walk off the mark prior to two of Reynolds’ three field goals?

And why wasn't Sam Burgess suspended for his lude texting?

ouryears

Bench
Surely not. Surely he’s run out.

We’ve seen an the emergence of a number of players. We will be expected to improve.

Marys stubborn sure, but like a puppy with its nose rubbed in piss, surely even Mary has learnt that making the same mistakes = pain, discomfort and embarrassment.

We have depth. No more cut and paste. Rotate the roster - it’s not that hard.

Surely Gordon’s latest investment in the club has come with an ultimatum;
“....no more excuses....” No more fade outs.
Mate, some people don’t have the intelligence to use their mistakes to improve
That is one of the reasons why crims keep going back to goal
Mary thinks coming 6th was a wonderful result
He thinks nothing needs changing

rednwhites

Juniors
In a way we came so close to a Dragons v Melbourne grand final. Would have been awesome for the NRL. Ah well, just as well the premiership is run and won in April.