What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Finals Week 2 vs Souths

getsmarty

Immortal
That did not mean he had a great game

I will quote D.Lockyear ..a Footy legend and one of the games great players from today's footy show..Ben hunt had a GOOD game...it's a shame about the last play...He will learn from that...

They also pointed out that our left edge was missing Widdop/Sims so unorganized..at the time of that play..

You could also point out that Leilua who replaced Sims missed an important tackle which led to Souths first try...AuMau getting stripped was also a crucial moment..

As a fan I am proud of the effort the boys put in...That's all you can ask for...

I don't know what team you support, but all I can say is well done to both sides last night...

Ben Hunt..hold your head up high mate....Proud you are wearing the RED V....ignore the knockers...they don't understand that humans make mistakes..even the players that go on to be Greats make errors along the way.

PROUD TO BE A DRAGONS SUPPORTER.

jeffdragon

Bench
Periera and lawrie were good in the semis and hope nene doesnt go , but looks like he is .ran hard last night.
Lomax is a talent,Korbin coming will add some extra grunt.
Hopefully a few more signings will be coming maybe Oates.
It is what it is but thats what happens when you follow as closely as the fans do.

getsmarty

Immortal
DRAGONS

Busted Dragons ran out of puff
Author
Alicia Newton
Timestamp
Sat 15 Sep 2018, 11:47 PM

St George Illawarra coach Paul McGregor was reluctant to discuss the final five minutes of game management after his side's 13-12 loss to South Sydney in a heart-stopping semi-final at ANZ Stadium on Saturday night.

The Dragons took a 12-11 lead in a frenetic contest with four minutes remaining but scores were soon level with Rabbitohs halfback Adam Reynolds slotting a field goal a minute later.

But it was the play with a minute on the clock that has left fans scathing with Dragons playmaker Ben Hunt opting to run the ball on the final tackle from 40 metres out.

The play turned sour when Kurt Mann was caught on the edge, enabling a Rabbitohs turnover and Reynolds a third field goal and a spot in next weekend's grand final qualifier.

"You can break the game down a fair bit if you like but that's not for this press conference," McGregor said in response to the frantic final five minutes.

"I'm not going to turn on a player who didn't make the right decision or anything like that. That's not for now.

"Going forward it's a great experience for them guys to make sure next time we get that opportunity we make it right."

frizellt-180914_gt_8.jpg

Dragons back-rower Tyson Frizell. :copyright:Grant Trouville/NRL Photos
Dragons back-rower Tyson Frizell described the final minutes as 'chaotic.'

"I think it is from both sides when it's that tight," Frizell said.

"The ruck play is a lot quicker and things are just happening, they took their opportunity and we missed ours. That's what it came down to in the end."

McGregor believed the main turning point was the injury to Tariq Sims early in the second half as he reflected on the side's season coming to an end, where the Dragons started the first half of the season injury free before Origin and setbacks to key men stalled their momentum.

The side were without Paul Vaughan, Gareth Widdop, Jason Nightingale and Euan Aitken for the clash, while they lost Sims and couldn't get Nene Macdonald off the paddock late in the loss.

NSW forward Jack De Belin was barely sighted at training the past three weeks as he battled an ankle injury.

"We are busted, a lot of blokes got needles," McGregor said.

"[Tariq] got a needle but it wasn't enough to come back. It come down to the field goal but I thought the turning point...we needed 17 fit men and when Tariq went off that put change to that. Nene was injured for most of the second half. There were no subs left.

"Some didn't train this week. [Jack's] been in a boot, then a soft shoe, then a jogger, then a needle into a pair of footy boots. That's how Jack's weeks been, and that's not uncommon like a few blokes."

McGregor indicated the club would hold an end-of-season review, particularly around the management of Origin, but labelled the year an overall success.

Match Highlights: Rabbitohs v Dragons – Finals Week 2, 2018

nrl2018_finals-bracket-week-3_sharks-rabbitohs_1650x1080.jpg

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2018/09/16/busted-dragons-ran-out-of-puff/

SEAT 1A

Bench
By memory, the rule was changed due to a Parra milking a penalty.

The position of the Souths bloke blocked the ball. No way it was a penalty, Cam wasn't trying to pass the ball into the player.

We wouldn’t have won next week with all the injuries we had in the end but gee whizz I was proud of the fight we put up Souths didn’t get it easy and we certainly have something to build off for next year which is when I’ll see you guys again have a good one guys all the best go the saints in 2019

Smurf

Juniors
We wouldn’t have won next week with all the injuries we had in the end but gee whizz I was proud of the fight we put up Souths didn’t get it easy and we certainly have something to build off for next year which is when I’ll see you guys again have a good one guys all the best go the saints in 2019
Looks like you are on the money
Telegraph reporting that the dragons would of struggled to field a fit team next week
I presume Tariq would be out
But damn , I still wish we had won

Sometimes the comments of some
Forum members baffle me.

League is a team game.

Our forward pack played manfully but were physically busted and unlikely to win an extra time battle with Souths.

As good a utility as Mann is, he is not as good a half as Widdop. Mann doesn’t have a kicking game. Widdop has the ability to kick with either foot.

No Paul Vaughan.

JDB busted and exhausted.

We lose Sims early in the second half.

Souths force Hunt to make 30 tackles.

Hunt played very well. Any suggestion that he went missing in the last 5-10 minutes is ridiculous.

Our team was collectively out of juice and out of troops Pure and simple.

Only thing that went missing in last few minutes was an ounce of luck.

Very proud with the effort given all the circumstances.

ouryears

Bench
I don't wish to dwell on the subject of coaching at this stage - my post was quite simply a congratulatory message to each of the players for what was a wonderful display of true Big Red V football and courage in what was at times a very disappointing season .

The point is my friend that I am referring to the grand effort shown by our blokes in the last 2 matches , particularly in yesterday's. A lot of walking wounded took the field , players gave it their all and that is what this thread is all about - the semi final match , it is not a thread about the coach . :innocent:
In a 2 horse race when you don't win, you come last.
The team played played ok, not great.
Lam being stripped, Duftys errors, Hunts selfish and ridiculous last played option, Cam McInnes passing the ball into a Souths payer at the ruck....he easily could have missed him.
They may have tried hard, but didn't play good.
And it shits me.
Accept that display as well played, then we need help.
I want change!
Including cutting a few players.
And of course mcnugget has to go.

blacksafake

First Grade
I will quote D.Lockyear ..a Footy legend and one of the games great players from today's footy show..Ben hunt had a GOOD game...it's a shame about the last play...He will learn from that...

They also pointed out that our left edge was missing Widdop/Sims so unorganized..at the time of that play..

You could also point out that Leilua who replaced Sims missed an important tackle which led to Souths first try...AuMau getting stripped was also a crucial moment..

As a fan I am proud of the effort the boys put in...That's all you can ask for...

I don't know what team you support, but all I can say is well done to both sides last night...

Ben Hunt..hold your head up high mate....Proud you are wearing the RED V....ignore the knockers...they don't understand that humans make mistakes..even the players that go on to be Greats make errors along the way.

PROUD TO BE A DRAGONS SUPPORTER.
THIS imo :100: %
:thumbsup::thumbsup:

He had a good game, but man he kind of crumbles under pressure.

I'm gutted we lost that. We blew than game. When it came to the crunch we blew it.

Gareth67

First Grade
In a 2 horse race when you don't win, you come last.
The team played played ok, not great.
Lam being stripped, Duftys errors, Hunts selfish and ridiculous last played option, Cam McInnes passing the ball into a Souths payer at the ruck....he easily could have missed him.
They may have tried hard, but didn't play good.
And it shits me.
Accept that display as well played, then we need help.
I want change!
Including cutting a few players.
And of course mcnugget has to go.

Lol ! Settle down and relax big fella . May I even suggest that you do what I suspect many other Dragon supporters are doing today ? Take a couple of BEX powders and have a nap , we will have a long off-season to butcher this season's carcass , but not right now thanks very much. :innocent:

Gareth67

First Grade
And another thing - that baldy headed Peter Sterling having a go at Ben Hunt last play , the fooking hide of the pruck ! It was undoubtedly a poor decision on Hunts part , but for pity sake there is no need to crucify the poor sod on national television . Use some bluudy discretion you knucklehead !

ozbuck

Juniors
Yep, Mann draws and passes and field is in the clear with support or space to kick. Was the wrong call, but he also did plenty right tonight. We were good enough for all but 5 minutes.

Just looked at the replay again... I thought it was Mann's fault. I mean Mann could've released the pass very quickly...but hunt played short to him. Hunt had to play long to lafai or field. Hunt put Mann in a horrible position.

It's over now...but it worries me about the next 4 years at those crucial end of game moments when we need the right play. I haven't seen hunt produce it like he is expected to so far. Reminds me of Pearce way too much

getsmarty

Immortal
Just looked at the replay again... I thought it was Mann's fault. I mean Mann could've released the pass very quickly...but hunt played short to him. Hunt had to play long to lafai or field. Hunt put Mann in a horrible position.

It's over now...but it worries me about the next 4 years at those crucial end of game moments when we need the right play. I haven't seen hunt produce it like he is expected to so far. Reminds me of Pearce way too much

So the only try we score doesn't count ?

Latest posts