What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Finals week two, Rabbitohs v Dragons, Saturday 15th September 7:40pm @ ANZ Stadium

Pommy

Coach
So last night I flew from Abu Dhabi to Manchester and they had the Broncos dragons game on the plane live.
I’m actually going to be doing the reverse on Saturday when we’re playing so fingers crosse they have this game on live as well.
I was pretty amazed that they have live sport on planes now.
The earlier Sydney to Abu Dhabi leg I watched NI vs Bosnia and England vs Spain, all at 30,000 feet, what a time to be alive.

CliveC

Juniors
A reality check.
Saints were exceptional yesterday.
Our team in the light of day.
AJ safe under high ball,can't beat a tackle fast and chimes into backline well,not in good form.
CG and Jennings both good young players with a future,neither has the speed for the wing!
GI one of a handful of game breakers,Gags good player but erratic rarely beats the tackle
Walker also capable of the big play but makes blunders.
Reyno v.g kicking game strong d.but injury prone big ticker!
The twins big tough and a key to winning,brain snaps expected.
Cookie another game breaker give him a sniff and it's try time.
Second row our Achilles heel,Sutts dies with the ball while Walker waits in vain for the offload.Angus can't pass the ball tries hard but is a one trick pony.
Sam Mr.110% every game but one of the worst ball handlers ever,a key player if we are to win.
Clarkie good player tries hard but just not big enough.
Cam Murray one of my clan!Huge ticker top defender and will offload to another Souths player,( not an opponent)A game breaker.
Now I know brother bunnies will object go for it.Thats my honest summary of our players!

Last edited:

ThingFish

Juniors
A reality check.
AJ safe under high ball,can't beat a tackle fast and chimes into backline well,not in good form.
CG and Jennings both good young players with a future,neither has the speed for the wing!
GI one of a handful of game breakers,Gags good player but erratic rarely beats the tackle
Second row our Achilles heel,Sutts dies with the ball while Walker waits in vain for the offload.Angus can't pass the ball tries hard but is a one trick pony.
Sam Mr.110% every game but one of the worst ball handlers ever,a key player if we are to win.
Cam Murray one of my clan!Huge ticker top defender and will offload to another Souths player.A game breaker.
Now I know brother bunnies will object go for it.Thats my honest summary of our players!
E09572CE-3A50-491E-B74D-FECFF9FB9374.jpeg

ThingFish

Juniors
A reality check.
Cam Murray one of my clan!Huge ticker top defender and will offload to another Souths player.A game breaker.
Reality check. A woeful Broncs made an ordinary Dead V look good. We are part of the last 6 standing, so that spells good team to me.

So last night I flew from Abu Dhabi to Manchester and they had the Broncos dragons game on the plane live.
I’m actually going to be doing the reverse on Saturday when we’re playing so fingers crosse they have this game on live as well.
I was pretty amazed that they have live sport on planes now.
The earlier Sydney to Abu Dhabi leg I watched NI vs Bosnia and England vs Spain, all at 30,000 feet, what a time to be alive.

Well... I'll be flying Sydney to Manchester via Doha on Grand Final day... So here's hoping they have live sports on my flight. Particularly if Souths make it.

CliveC

Juniors
Reality check. A woeful Broncs made an ordinary Dead V look good. We are part of the last 6 standing, so that spells good team to me.
Not a death rider mate I have been watching Souths for a very long time,that doesn't mean I am 100% correct or even 10% correct.
eg the media tell me that Sam and Munster are superstars.
I believe that is rubbish.
Ellery Hanley used to play lock/5/8 in the Anglo Test team when they were ordinary,in one Test Hanley won it single handed for England.A truly great English player.If I had a choice it would be Sam in the second row and Hanley at lock!
I said elsewhere that Cody played a role in three of our tries while Munster kicked a field goal.Cody isn't a superstar but Munster is ...that is utter bullshit.Cody wiped the floor with Munster in our previous clash!
Back to Souths, if I challenge your opinion as to how good our team is that's my opinion v yours.Not an insult!
Have a good day Mate!

ThingFish

Juniors
Not a death rider mate I have been watching Souths for a very long time,that doesn't mean I am 100% correct or even 10% correct.
Ellery Hanley used to play lock/5/8 in the Anglo Test team when they were ordinary,in one Test Hanley won it single handed for England.A truly great English player.If I had a choice it would be Sam in the second row and Hanley at lock!
I said elsewhere that Cody played a role in three of our tries while Munster kicked a field goal.Cody isn't a superstar but Munster is ...that is utter bullshit.Cody wiped the floor with Munster in our previous clash!
Back to Souths, if I challenge your opinion as to how good our team is that's my opinion v yours.Not an insult!
Have a good day Mate!
Sure. But we’re going pretty good for a bunch of duds. Your original post I think is the very definition of death riding. Hey but that’s alright and not really an insult. I’ve got mates been following the Bunnies since the 70s, they’re death riders, they’ll tell you 10 reasons we’ll loose before they give one we’ll win. They love the Bunnies. Being a death rider doesn’t make them any less a Souths supporter, just not the funnest to be around during a game. I tend to watch with my brother a much more positive Bunny. I suppose it makes the losses easier for them. Look keep posting your thoughts, I never meant to insult, death rider isn’t an insult in my circle, it’s a state of being. If you feel insulted I apologise.

CliveC

Juniors
Sure. But we’re going pretty good for a bunch of duds. Your original post I think is the very definition of death riding. Hey but that’s alright and not really an insult. I’ve got mates been following the Bunnies since the 70s, they’re death riders, they’ll tell you 10 reasons we’ll loose before they give one we’ll win. They love the Bunnies. Being a death rider doesn’t make them any less a Souths supporter, just not the funnest to be around during a game. I tend to watch with my brother a much more positive Bunny. I suppose it makes the losses easier for them. Look keep posting your thoughts, I never meant to insult, death rider isn’t an insult in my circle, it’s a state of being. If you feel insulted I apologise.
No apologies necessary,I try to see reality,not just my own prejudices which are many.
My reality check of Saints team would not be as glowing as the Souths one I can assure you.It certainly is controversial.
Another eg. Is my opinion re CG and Jenko,the Storm had pace in the backs on us last Friday,Croft Slater Voodoo and Adder!.our two blokes are more suited to the centres than the wing.At a later date!
Did you see Saints replacement centre,same build as CG.looked good!
The only way we will know how wrong I am is in the game and result.

Morehead St

Juniors
Simple equation really,complete more sets than them,miss less tackles and a good kick and chase we win.
But this is providing the opposition are made to get back their 10 and don’t wrestle us and try to injure our players,everything the f**king drizzle were allowed to do.
We went down to the drizzle by a point in Melbourne with all the bullshit they were allowed to do and we didn’t even play anywhere near a good game,just get the fundamentals right we win this!
That has been the best summary of that great game: succinct and insightful. We have a tonne of reasons to hold our head up and go forward with confidence.
If we can get at least one of the two refs and one of the touchies to do their job, then we are a big chance from here on end.
BTW - what constitutes a chicken-wing tackle these days? And exactly what makes a shoulder charge not a shoulder charge? How's Crichton neck from the non-crunch tackle? Why can one camera pick up a stripped ball, but not four humans on the field wearing yellow shirts? If NRL is going to be a lucky dip when it comes to interpretating the rules, then you may as well watch Rugby Union.
Yeah, I'm a whinger - but I am not blind and I am not a liar!

Morehead St

Juniors
A reality check.
Cam Murray one of my clan!Huge ticker top defender and will offload to another Souths player,( not an opponent)A game breaker.
A worthy Form Guide. Honest and to the point.

We have some wonderful strengths, plus a few chinks. We are spectacular when all the strengths operate together without the cracks revealing themselves. When pressure was applied last Friday night, some of those chinks were exposed – the culprits are pointed to in your Performance Manual, above.

With Reynolds suspect shoulder, he will be targeted. I am glad you rated his kick game as VG and not Excellent. I felt the Storm rushed him on the inside many times forcing him to repeatedly kick down Slater’s throat. The Storm forced our right-foot kicker to mostly hurry and aim down their left side where Slater was waiting. Sutton’s kicking has been rusty since his move to the forwards, but he has got to be ready on the other side of the ruck on last tackle to make us less predictable. His left foot can give us more space to aim at, while helping to protect Reynolds. That’s in theory, though. If, on the other hand Sutton has not had any practise, then that’s danger.

Does anyone else feel our passes from the left are lobbed too many times, or thrown directly to a mate: forcing the receiver to stand and wait instead of running onto the ball? Too many times this allows a defence to rush and crowd us, instead of our forward moving attack forcing them to stand and guess.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Have a good day Mate!

Ellerys back end of 1988 when he came over to play with Balmain is the best I’ve ever seen a player play. Forget Hayne in 09 it was insane how much he lit up the comp

Morehead St

Juniors
You blokes should stop worrying so much. Our team is next to no chance. We are a rabble, you blokes should smash us in the forwards and tear us apart out wide...

... just like the broncos should have yesterday. ;)
That's very gentlemanly of you to say; but you blokes deserved it well and truly because all the basic things were done right. Gus called it good when he said the Broncos look great when they have the share of possession because their attack just wears down opponents to the point of being bamboozled. He noted that when the boot is on the other foot, and Brisbane have to do the bulk of defence, they fall apart. Without going over the stats of their season, that sounded fairly right to me - and to deprive Bennett's mob as was done yesterday was pure class in how to play League by the Dragons.

That magic last try, when the game was over and didn’t have to have any energy expended on it, shows that the Saints have got their early season mojo back. The joy on the faces of the players is a sign of rejuvenation that cannot be ignored.

Injuries on both sides will play a part, but I am feeling like I did back in the mid-60s walking down Phillip St, across Moore Park to the SCG where Souths v Saints was always the Match of the Day.

ThingFish

Juniors
You blokes should stop worrying so much. Our team is next to no chance. We are a rabble, you blokes should smash us in the forwards and tear us apart out wide...

... just like the broncos should have yesterday. ;)
Lol. I hear we are providing a jersey and merch burning area for your supporters after the game. We aim to provide the complete game day experience for visiting fans :smile::wink: