1. Grand Final Edition OUT NOW:

The 2020 NRL & NRLW Grand Final edition of The Front Row, our exclusive online e-magazine and match programme for Sunday's Grand Final Day! Also includes Super League Round 17 and 18 squads.

The Grand Final edition brings you special stories from each camp - Paul Jobber chats with Panthers legend Scott Sattler recounts his famous moment in the sides 2003 title win and looks to the current crop of Penrith players; while Rob Crosby looks at Josh Addo-Carr as he laces up for what could be his final Storm game. Rick Edgerton has a Clive Churchill Medal guide, while Joshua Wells speaks to Brisbane NRLW star Millie Boyle as the Broncos cruise toward a Women's threepeat on Sunday.

Add to that all the regular features you've come to expect - the programme for both Grand Final Day matches along with teamlists and details for Rounds 17 and 18 of the Super League - and you have one fantastic 32-page magazine for your Grand Final reading!

EDITION 22 - READ NOW!

Guest, click here to read online or download your free PDF copy

Finals.

Discussion in 'Penrith Panthers' started by Jane Murray, Aug 31, 2020.

1. franklin2323

franklin2323 Referee

Everyone saying we can't beat Roosters or Storm

blue bags likes this.
  2. franklin2323

franklin2323 Referee

I was at the game and what surprised me was how wet the surface was. It was a nice day. A bit of wind normally it leads to a dry surface.

That was what I put the start too. Had 5 tries comeback no try. So chances were there and we kept our head. Which was good

betcats and blue bags like this.
  3. WestyLife

WestyLife Juniors

No one is saying we can't. They are questioning whether Panthers can go with them in finals football. Very different.

blue bags likes this.
  4. Panther Pete

Panther Pete Juniors

blue bags likes this.
  5. betcats

betcats Coach

Yep they were well and truly beaten by that point.

I honestly think the best I’ve seen parra play this year was when Moses was out and Brown and Gutho were running things. Mitch is really the ultimate flat track bully.

blue bags and Jane Murray like this.
  6. franklin2323

franklin2323 Referee

Nothing to say we can't unless you are looking to bring the side down which the media loves to do

blue bags likes this.
  7. Jane Murray

Jane Murray Juniors

8. betcats

betcats Coach

It might work in our favour with all these media people talking about Melbourne and Roosters being the teams to beat come the finals, it certainly takes a bit of pressure off our young team and gives them something to prove.

blue bags, Pomoz, Jane Murray and 2 others like this.
  9. betcats

betcats Coach

Also re big game experience, sure we definitely lack it compared to the two teams who have been dominating for years but after those two what other team really has a lot of grand final experience? Parra don’t. Newcastle have Pearce who is a big game choker. The raiders have that run last year. Sharks won in 2016 and most of that side is gone already. Souths have Reynolds and Latrell.

We have two key leaders in Api and Jimmy who are gf winners I think that puts us in good stead compared to most of the top 8.

blue bags and Buzzard Breath like this.
  10. Panther Pete

Panther Pete Juniors

Something else that might help us will be the lack of big crowds in this years finals. I have concerns our young guys may struggle to cope with finals footy however not playing in front of 40,000 plus fans may help with this.

11. Buzzard Breath

Buzzard Breath Bench

The same thing happened in 2003. Everyone wrote us off.
    They all said it will be a Roosters/Bulldogs grand final back then. I remember Bob Fulton coming out weeks before the finals stating our defense wasn't good enough to win a title. We were a year or two off claiming a title. Too young a side.
    They were all wrong. We went up a gear in the finals and the rest is history.

I still think we have more improvement in us this year. Let them keep writing us off.

blue bags, Blade23, kyussian and 3 others like this.
  12. Buzzard Breath

Buzzard Breath Bench

blue bags, Jane Murray and Hooked like this.
  13. Smug Panther

Smug Panther Juniors

2003 we were clearly the best side. This year I still believe its the Roosters. Not saying aren't right in it

blue bags likes this.
  14. WestyLife

WestyLife Juniors

Yeah they stole it from Reddit.

That'll be a bonus for sure. Roosters will be who everyone expects to win it just like 2003 so hopefully history is repeating.

It is a valid question in my opinion though. One I expect the team to get an A+ for.

blue bags likes this.
  15. Jane Murray

Jane Murray Juniors

Both were quite, however, neither had a bad game either.

blue bags and CCJohnC like this.
  16. WestyLife

WestyLife Juniors

It's perfectly valid to suggest players/clubs who have done it countless times and are proven champions have an edge in big games. Panthers have to earn that reputation just like Roosters and Storm have.

blue bags likes this.
  17. Jane Murray

Jane Murray Juniors

It is a given that those two teams have a helping hand. Also, it has been proven that the Storm have cheated their way to the top.

blue bags likes this.
  18. WestyLife

WestyLife Juniors

Even in their cap compliant years they've been dominant. Roosters and Storm are the benchmark like it or not. There's nothing saying we can't get there and I daresay the beginning of an era is starting at the club with genuine long term talent and good staff/administration of the football department being the focus BUT you aren't given respect you must earn it and Panthers haven't yet.

blue bags and Jane Murray like this.
  19. The_Frog

The_Frog Juniors

Win and loss records suggests otherwise.

blue bags and Blade23 like this.
  20. Smug Panther

Smug Panther Juniors

Correct raw numbers can be very misleading. If you don't think the 2020 Roosters are the best football side in the competition then well I don't know what to say to you.

Lucky the best side doesn't always win

blue bags and WestyLife like this.