What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Finals.

Jane Murray

Bench
My pick is the Eels.

Penrith look set to host opening night of the 2020 finals series, as the NRL plans the schedule for the first round of play-offs.

Heading into the last round, the Panthers and Storm are the only two teams guaranteed to host finals matches in the first weekend, with the Panthers all but certain to kick off proceedings on Friday night. While there are still some things to play out before the NRL can lock in the fixtures, games have been pencilled into certain time slots.
  • Friday 8pm: Panthers (1) v Eels/Roosters/Raiders (4) at Panthers Stadium
  • Saturday 6pm: Raiders/Eels (5) v Sharks (8) at GIO Stadium/Bankwest Stadium
  • Saturday 8pm: Storm (2) v Roosters/Eels/Raiders (3) at Suncorp Stadium
  • Sunday 4pm: Knights/Rabbitohs (6) v Rabbitohs/Knights (7) at McDonald Jones/ANZ
The match at Panthers Stadium on Friday night could be the most highly anticipated game of the week if Parramatta hold on to fourth position and set up a western Sydney blockbuster with a win against the Wests Tigers next week.

Kilkenny

Coach
I hope we play the Eels.

I think the Raiders are potentially more dangerous opponents particularly given there GF experience from last season.

I know you have to beat all comers regardless but i just think the Eels are the more beatable in round 1.

GongPanther

Referee
I hope that is the way it pans out.

It is nice to be in the play off for a GF spot.

We didn’t quite get there under Griffin, close but not quite.
I can still see DWZ losing the ball near our line in that major qual game....then the Dogs scoring shortly after. He still hasn't changed.

Tronald Crump

Juniors
I get the feeling we may play the Chooks. I will be interested to see their team sheet this afternoon to see if they rest a few this week against Souths.

The_Frog

First Grade
I get the feeling we may play the Chooks. I will be interested to see their team sheet this afternoon to see if they rest a few this week against Souths.
They've picked a good side. On paper should win easy but it troubles me that a Rabbitohs victory might mean both sides play at home in week 1. The NRL need to look at ways to avoid such a situation.

I want Canberra. So Parra go out early but either one we will take

We shouldn't fear the Roosters either. They've won two from 6 against their best 4 opponents.

Jane Murray

Bench
It's been well documented that Cronulla have lost every game against top-eight opponents this year but they're not the only side which has struggled when facing the elite teams.

With one round left in the regular season and the top eight locked in, NRL.com Stats has crunched the numbers on every finals team's record against their playoff counterparts to see how each is placed.

The numbers are positive for the under-fire Eels but bring some concern for the Roosters in their push for a three-peat, as well as the Raiders and the other three sides in the bottom half of the finals zone.

Every finalists' top eight record
Panthers
Wins: Roosters, Storm, Souths, Sharks, Raiders, Sharks, Eels
Losses: Eels
Draw: Knights
Top 8 record: 7-1-1
Top 4 record: 3-1

Unsurprisingly, minor premiers Penrith shape up the best of any team given they have just one loss all season. That came against the fourth-placed Eels in a game they largely controlled other than one costly 10-minute burst.

A 90-minute draw against Newcastle was the only other time a team took premiership points away from a Panthers contest this year. With a convincing win in their recent Parramatta rematch, Ivan Cleary's men have been too good for everyone else all year.

Storm
Wins: Sharks, Souths, Knights, Roosters, Raiders, Knights, Roosters, Souths
Losses: Raiders, Panthers, Eels
Top 8: 8-3
Top 4: 2-2

Melbourne have played more top eight games than any other finals team and they've done it well, besting dual premiers the Roosters twice and recording just three losses from 11 games.

Canberra got them convincingly in the first game back, while they also went down to Penrith while the Eels loss came with a huge number of senior players absent. They are two and two against fellow top four sides.

Roosters
Wins: Souths, Eels, Raiders, Knights, Sharks
Losses: Panthers, Storm, Raiders, Storm
Top 8: 5-4
Top 4: 1-3

As good as they've been this year, the Roosters actually haven't got the best record against the other top teams.

They have a 1-3 losing record against the top four after going down twice to the Storm and have won fractionally better than half their games against top eight sides with losses also against the Panthers and Raiders. The highest-placed team they've beaten this year is the fourth-placed Eels.

Eels
Wins: Panthers, Raiders, Knights, Sharks, Storm
Losses: Roosters, Souths, Panthers
Top 8: 5-3
Top 4: 2-2

Have been written off by most after a lacklustre final third of the season but can still lay claim to a winning record against finals sides overall and an even two-and-two record against the three teams above them.

Yes the Storm were understrength in that game and the win over the Panthers came via a 10-minute burst in a game Penrith mostly had the better of but a win's a win.

Raiders
Wins: Storm, Roosters, Souths
Losses: Knights, Eels, Storm, Panthers, Roosters
Top 8: 3-5
Top 4: 2-4

Have been very impressive particularly since losing inspirational hooker Josh Hodgson but record against other top teams is still a bit of a worry.

Produced two of the team performances of the year in beating the Storm in round three and Roosters in round 10 but have mostly struggled against the finals sides. It should be noted Canberra have had more games against top four sides than any other finals team with six, winning two of those.

Knights
Wins: Raiders, Souths, Sharks
Losses: Storm, Eels, Storm, Roosters
Draw: Panthers
Top 8: 3-1-4
Top 4: 0-1-4

The only team other than the Eels to take a point away from a Penrith game but nothing else to show from five games against the top four this year. Have won all three games against the other teams in the bottom half of the eight which should give them encouragement at least heading into the first week of the finals.

Rabbitohs
Wins: Sharks, Eels
Losses: Roosters, Storm, Panthers, Knights, Raiders, Storm
Top 8: 2-6
Top 4: 1-4

Other than their huge recent win over Parramatta it has been a very poor showing against the other top sides for Wayne Bennett's men. Were competitive against the Storm recently but other than those two games have shown few signs of lasting much past round 20.

Sharks
Wins: Nil
Losses: Souths, Storm, Panthers, Eels, Panthers, Knights, Roosters
Top 8: 0-7
Top 4: 0-4

Look away, Sharks fans. Have had fewer games against top sides than any other team in the competition but haven't won any of them.

Have a chance to belatedly get off the mark against a very understrength Canberra this weekend but that would do little to silence the doubters given their lack of spark against any of the finals teams this year.

Panther Pete

Juniors
Not sure if this has been mentioned here but does anyone know which days of the weekend each game is played in week 1 of finals ie does 1st v 4th play on Friday night etc? I have looked on NRL.com but can’t find the draw.

Jane Murray

Bench
Not sure if this has been mentioned here but does anyone know which days of the weekend each game is played in week 1 of finals ie does 1st v 4th play on Friday night etc? I have looked on NRL.com but can’t find the draw.

Penrith look set to host opening night of the 2020 finals series, as the NRL plans the schedule for the first round of play-offs.

Heading into the last round, the Panthers and Storm are the only two teams guaranteed to host finals matches in the first weekend, with the Panthers all but certain to kick off proceedings on Friday night. While there are still some things to play out before the NRL can lock in the fixtures, games have been pencilled into certain time slots.

A top four finish for the Canberra Raiders could change everything: Final Whistle - Round 19

• Friday 8pm: Panthers (1) v Eels/Roosters/Raiders (4) at Panthers Stadium
    • Saturday 6pm: Raiders/Eels (5) v Sharks (8) at GIO Stadium/Bankwest Stadium
    • Saturday 8pm: Storm (2) v Roosters/Eels (3) at Suncorp Stadium
    • Sunday 4pm: Knights/Rabbitohs (6) v Rabbitohs/Knights (7) at McDonald Jones/ANZ
The match at Panthers Stadium on Friday night could be the most highly anticipated game of the week if Parramatta hold on to fourth position and set up a western Sydney blockbuster with a win against the Wests Tigers next week.

Last edited:

WestyLife

First Grade
We could be playing the Roosters in week 1 if this keeps up tonight. That’d be a hell of a test.

Although Parra might tank to avoid the storm in Brisbane.

Might be good for us to get the next best team and a second chance. Eels would be sweating bullets right now. :joy:

Might be good for us to get the next best team and a second chance. Eels would be sweating bullets right now. :joy:

Playing the Tigers isn’t a gimmie, they could just decide to go a little easier.

Playing us won’t be easy, but I don’t think anyone wants to travel to Brisbane to play the storm.

WestyLife

First Grade
Playing the Tigers isn’t a gimmie, they could just decide to go a little easier.

Playing us won’t be easy, but I don’t think anyone wants to travel to Brisbane to play the storm.

Yeah the same day travel is what teams hate and to do it against the Storm :grimacing: