What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Finch sacks refs and changes advantage rule

MattJ

Juniors
I think that was the Titans game, the titans winger kicked it up field and the other team got it, they then called it back for a scrum, forget who it was against, i remember it being a close game though and a lucky call.

This happened in round 2, Souths vs Gold Coast.

We were all perplexed watching that decision, the ref made the assumption that because the titans player had kicked the ball 30m down the field, but the titans no longer had possesion, that they had not played the advantage.

Would have been a set of 6 for Souths in the Titans 30, instead the ball was bought all the way back to the 10m line for a scrum with a Titans feed. A pretty big decision in the scheme of things considering that game went into golden point on the back of a penalty goal to the titans at full time.

Its gotten to a point now where stupid mind boggling refereeing decisions aren't all that suprising anymore, there more or less expected and are actually affecting the outcomes of a few matches.

If i hear another radio interview with Finch defending the current state of the refereeing, uttering any more crap about KPI's or applauding refs for sin binning players for extremely minor offences i think im just gonna drive my car straight into on coming traffic. The NRL fans have spoken, Finch has to go now.

*Paul*

Juniors
Once the non-offending team secures the ball and/or elects to play on, that's the advantage, like it was back in the old days. Also, get off my lawn.

Dragonwest

Juniors
It's fricken simple! if a player CHOOSES to pass or kick the ball their advantage is up. If a player picks the ball up and it's dislodge before a tackle is complete no advantage gained, scrum head and feed.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Wow, nice to see you go straight for the insults. Nice work sunshine. :roll:

The point is, the non offending team should gain an appropriate advantage, irrespective of the number of passes. 10 metres was fine, was never really an issue until Friday night. It was black and white, all refs understood it, all players understood it, all viewers understood it.

With two refs, we could have entirely different discretionary rulings within the same game.

PS - I don't think you're an idiot for having a differing view.

Why is the first knock on worse then the second?

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Robert Finch was on Triple M on Saturday and said the reason for this new interpretation of the advantage rule was because he didn’t want a situation where two referees gave a different interpretation of advantage in one game.
I think its time the game had a rules committee and take control of the rules from the coaches and people like Robert Finch,

And that is the problem, 2 refs is a joke, 2 muppets together won't help any calls be made better, it just confuses them even more

League should be referee'd on the feel and interpretation of the man in the middle, having 2 of them there is 2 completely different opinions so they have to try and stick to a black and white ruling

The Engineers Room

First Grade
The rule should be if you pass the ball, kick the ball, get tackled or run more than 10m in any direction it is advantage taken.

RL1908

Bench
The problem with the advantage rule is that the rule book doesn't recognise that scrums are no longer contestable - I'm not saying that they should be - but "the advantage" is that the non-offending team gets possession without having to go through a 50/50 scrum.

Your "advantage" is taken if you pick the ball up and try to do something with it (the "zero tackle" rule is a further recognition that you may not make any ground by picking up the ball).

If the non-offending team sees no advantage in picking up the ball from an opponent's error, then that is up to them - don't pick it up - a scrum will be called.

Either way, the referee doesn't really need to do anything but just watch and see what happens (which is the way it was until 2009 and the way it should have stayed).

Last edited:

Latest posts