What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Finch sacks refs and changes advantage rule

hunters

Juniors
I'm sorry hunters, but you're an idiot if you were a fan of the previous incarnation of advantage.
Wow, nice to see you go straight for the insults. Nice work sunshine. :roll:

The point is, the non offending team should gain an appropriate advantage, irrespective of the number of passes. 10 metres was fine, was never really an issue until Friday night. It was black and white, all refs understood it, all players understood it, all viewers understood it.

With two refs, we could have entirely different discretionary rulings within the same game.

PS - I don't think you're an idiot for having a differing view.

aussie7798

First Grade
god damn rothfield running around now thinking he is running the game is only going to make the dipstick even more unbearable.

GongPanther

Referee
I thought the rules can only be changed by the Rugby League world governing body.

(Or what ever its title)

Jason Maher

Immortal
Bloody hell, Rothfield really does thing big of himself, doesn't he? I'm sure it was reading Phil's comments and those of the idiots who actually read his shyte that made Finch's mind up... :lol:

Eels Dude

Coach
FFS Phil Rothfield is full of it for claiming the refs were sacked because of a Telegraph campaign. Like no one else in the media has called for their heads.

Eels Dude

Coach
Which has never happened.

Conversely following on from your scenario. Opposition drops the ball 20m out from your line, you pick it up and pass it 1m back, the bloke holds it but drops it in the tackle and you're deemed to have gotten an advantage! That is truly ridiculous.

There was a shocker a few weeks ago, cannot remember which game, where a player picked up the lose ball in the in goal and put a chip kick in when running out. When the opposition got the ball it was called back for a scrum cause ther was no advantage. That's rewarding a brain explosion.

LazyDreamer

Bench
I thought the rules can only be changed by the Rugby League world governing body.

(Or what ever its title)

It's not a rule change - it's a directive on the interpretation of the rule.

But it seems the majority of refs struggle with black-and-white decisions. Surely passing discretionary decisions back to them is a recipe for disaster? :crazy:

thorson1987

Coach
The next smart thing Finch should say is "i'm a useless twat, therefore I tender my resignation effective immediately, I am truely sorry for ruining the game with KPI's and other crap like that."

cornerposter

Juniors
I didn't mind the new interpretation of the advantage rule, however it did need tweaking. If they wanted to stick with the KPI's they could have settled with:
Advantage is taken after:
  • a 10 meter gain - by running or kicking
  • or executing 2 passes
which ever comes first.

The previous interpretation was too inconsistent, returning to that option is pointless.

typicalfan

Coach
It's not a rule change - it's a directive on the interpretation of the rule.

But it seems the majority of refs struggle with black-and-white decisions. Surely passing discretionary decisions back to them is a recipe for disaster? :crazy:
It is more that the game struggles with black and white decisions, while they are good in theory they are not consistent with a free flowing game. This has been demonstrated surely in the opening month and a half with the advantage rule.

If it goes back to the refs interpretations then they will be wrong less often because ultimately it is their decision that is final and not some pre determined outcome.

I say that this change back to the original way happened 7 rounds too late but at least it is done.

nadera78

Juniors
In the ESL the advantage rule is a lot simpler. The time taken or distance gained doesn't matter, as long as you go past the gain line then you've had your advantage. It really doesn't need to be any more complicated than that.

And I really don't see how Finch is qualified to start changing the rules of the game at any time never mind in the middle of the season. Surely his job is limited to making sure the referees know the rules and apply them correctly?

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
gee I cant wait for Rothfield's next blog, I wonder just how much he'll be talking himself up this time

johns_reds

First Grade
There was a shocker a few weeks ago, cannot remember which game, where a player picked up the lose ball in the in goal and put a chip kick in when running out. When the opposition got the ball it was called back for a scrum cause ther was no advantage. That's rewarding a brain explosion.

I think that was the Titans game, the titans winger kicked it up field and the other team got it, they then called it back for a scrum, forget who it was against, i remember it being a close game though and a lucky call.

Does anyone here think that demoting a ref for a week and announcing a variance on rule interpretation means that the standard of Rugby League refereeing in Australia will improve ?

Pierced Soul

First Grade
The point is, the non offending team should gain an appropriate advantage, irrespective of the number of passes. 10 metres was fine, was never really an issue until Friday night. It was black and white, all refs understood it, all players understood it, all viewers understood it.

advantage is you now have the ball, with the zero tackle you arent "penalised" one tackle for falling on it. other advantage is with a turnover you can catch the oppositions defense out of position as they werent expecting the turnover.

the advantage farce wasnt just about friday night it's been there since last eyar but seems to be getting more ridiculous, in the broncos/roosters game minichello picked up a loose ball and actually ran 12 or 14 m from where the ball was dropped, got tackled into touch but was deemed not have taken his "advantage" despite runningt hat distance. plenty of other teams have made several passes across field before losing it and still got given the ball back.

I think that was the Titans game, the titans winger kicked it up field and the other team got it, they then called it back for a scrum, forget who it was against, i remember it being a close game though and a lucky call.

mead or gordon, i think it may have been gordon. and the reality is he took his advantage in doing this, i think he was smart enough to try it, if he didnt regain the ball then he gets the ball anyway so he doesnt lose anything. the current advantage rule only serves to allow teams to try plays they wouldnt normally do whilst knowing they get the ball back if it doesnt work

whilst it isnt ideal for rules to be changed mid season, i'd rather they get changed then the continual allowance of a stupid rule.

and whichever dickhead ref ruled bryson goodwin wasnt attempting to cath the bomb (despite getting both hands to it) needs to be kicked up the arse as well