What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First Grade Players Who Were Also Schoolteachers

Matua

Bench
Being from NZ & this case getting no coverage over here, listening to this podcast has been very mind-blowing and very creepy.
I actually find it to be a pretty poor podcast, especially in comparison to others out there in the same genre. It's badly edited and unfocused and rambling - but the story is interesting so I've been listening.

squiddy

Juniors
John Maguire sharks second rower from the 70s was principle or at least deputy principle at Endeavour High .

Journo Tony Peters , Zorbas brother , was a teacher at Caringbah high and also coached their fairly successful amco shield team

ironhorse

Juniors
Quite amazing these days to see how many players were teachers not because they were first grade league players, but because they were male. Don't think they want male schoolteachers much in the system anymore or dont encourage it.

Matua

Bench
Quite amazing these days to see how many players were teachers not because they were first grade league players, but because they were male. Don't think they want male schoolteachers much in the system anymore or dont encourage it.
I don't know about Oz but in NZ they scream out for male teachers.

no name

Coach
What gives you that impression?
Are you talking primary or secondary?

crocodile

Bench
I'm getting old so I can remember Souths and Aussie hooker Elwyn Walters. Was my science teacher in year 7. He sure knew how to use the cane.

Life's Good

Coach
Dennis Bendall.

He had a promising career cut short when he broke his neck as a result of swinging off a rope & landing head first into a shallow river on a school camp.

firechild

First Grade
I actually find it to be a pretty poor podcast, especially in comparison to others out there in the same genre. It's badly edited and unfocused and rambling - but the story is interesting so I've been listening.
I haven't listened to the podcast but have spoken to a number of people who have. I went to the same high school and knew a number of people associated with the case, including Joanne Curtis, through my surf club. It's crazy when you know this stuff happened so close. Usually these kinds of stories are people so unknown to you that it seems almost fictional.

carcharias

Immortal
I haven't listened to the podcast but have spoken to a number of people who have. I went to the same high school and knew a number of people associated with the case, including Joanne Curtis, through my surf club. It's crazy when you know this stuff happened so close. Usually these kinds of stories are people so unknown to you that it seems almost fictional.

I’ve listened to nearly all of the podcast
I reckon it is good
He does repeat himself a bit.. but you have to take into account the podcast was evolving day by day as he was making it.
People came out of the woodwork with info.

I was in high school over this way the same time and I heard similar stories about male teachers.
...and one female teacher.

Latest posts