What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fit-again dykes the one to watch

Pazza

First Grade
Fit-again dykes the one to watch
By Greg Prichard
February 15, 2004

Brian Smith suggests Parramatta fans watch Adam Dykes go this season.

Dykes has had horrible luck with injury since he joined the Eels from Cronulla, but Smith has a feeling this is going to be his year.

"Adam hardly even trained with us last year, he had so many problems," Smith said. "But he hasn't missed a session this year.

"He is a high-quality player and if he has even luck he's going to be very good for us. He knows the ropes and he brings out the best in other players. They love being around him on the field."

There has been a huge turnover of players at Parramatta since the end of the 2001 season and Smith's critics have been at him constantly about players leaving the club and kicking on elsewhere.

He suggests those critics are either too silly to see - or choose to ignore - the relevant circumstances.

"I'm really not bothered by the criticism," Smith said. "But you really only need half a brain to realise our club has been a producing club and some other clubs have been the cannibals who don't produce anything themselves.

"The salary cap has prevented us from keeping a lot of the players who have left. None of them wanted to leave. They all wanted to stay and some of them, after leaving, rang to say they wished they could come back.

"If every club took the attitude that they were going to look elsewhere for players and not produce any themselves, it would be pretty poor, wouldn't it?

"I find the criticism very flattering, actually, because it reminds me that we're doing the right thing - producing players."

half

Coach
"But you really only need half a brain to realise our club has been a producing club and some other clubs have been the cannibals who don't produce anything themselves.
i only have half a brain so i can confirm this

i love reading brian smith interviews. he's always logical and inspirational. and he gets me all excited too

i have a quarter of a brain and so can say that this is at least half true :p

And you're right, halfy - he always gives a damn good interview, always has well thought out answers, and can be provocative when he needs to maike you think.

It's a pity some people are so hell bent on bagging him and having him sacked, because he is the best thing to happen to this Club since Stu Galbraith :D

I also believe that Smith is a great coach he has great tactics but sometimes I don't agree with his selection policy and how he over trains players when basic plays are needed. I also believe that he needs to come damn close this year to winning the premiership so he can keep his Job anything remotely like last season then we will be looking at a new coach next year.

I don't like to sound over confident or anything if all our players stay fit this will be our year. WE have the toughest Pack in the League and the good thing is other teams won't see us coming starting with the Bullcheats.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
On last nights game I would have rated Witt, Thorman and Dykes, in that order.

But it was only one game and a trial at that, so you can't read too much into it.

Redback71

First Grade
yeah i found out of the two teams in the trial that the blue team seemed to play better than the gold team, and the gold team had our main players in it.

i think the difference was witt playing for the blues.

Pazza

First Grade
I cant wait to see Thorman and Witt build a long term halves combination.

The Godfather

Juniors
Smith is a great coach and has developed a number of great players duing his coaching career.

However, area of concern is his coaching / development of the halves. While he has developed a lot of great players in other positions, his weakness has been that he has never been able to develop or recruit a really top gun half combination.

Sadly, this is probably the piece that has prevented him from collecting at least a couple of premierships.

Maybe a Dykes /Thorman / Witt / Wagon / Morris combination will be a success, because it would be tragic if Smith went down in history as the best coach never to have won a premiership.

Avenger

Immortal
As the season approaches I am starting to really believe that Dykes could be the key. His vision and passing game has no peer in our backline.

Eelectrica

Referee
From what I saw tonight, if Dykes plays a high percentage of games this season, we will be a real chance of going deep into the finals.

Hurriflatch

Referee
Dykes FIT is one of the best halves in the NRL.

The problem is untill about round 24 last year Dykes was never fully fit since joining Parra.

eels1986

Juniors
Dykes is all class and showed what a great ball player he is tonight at the Gold Coast. He is the key.

Redback71

First Grade
wasnt that an amazing try the way he found the line like that

by the way where did you guys sit

Redback71

First Grade
i was in the stadium opposite the gold coast stand right where dykes scored that amazing try

Redback71

First Grade
basically he was on the warriors 10 metre line trying to find space he ran from one side of the feild to the other alond the warriors 5 metre line dodging warriors and crossed over in the opposite corner for the try

Latest posts