What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

fitness testing

northey

First Grade
yesterday i was tested on my fitness
i only did 4 tests they were intresting.

the first test was how long you stayed in the air when you jumped .... you had to have your hands on your hips and you had to jump with straight legs, so you couldn't flick your legs back to get more hight. i got 20 with is average

then there was the second one where you stood with your feet flat on the ground and your arms streched above you. you then pushed away these small rods. then you had to jump and push these rods away then they mesured how high you jumped. this showed how high in the air you jumped...... i got 37cm.... so i umped 37cm in the air...... now that may not seem like much but if you think about it....... you will soon find out that it is high.
with this one i got above average, just an indication of someone who is really powerful in their legs is matt servington he can jump 90cm in the air...

then there was this bike thing the wheel was at the back and you had to ride the bike for 10 seconds...... they then told you how many watts you produced ... i produced 850.
that was above average. put it this way some of the guys were getting just over a thousand..

the last test was on a bike again but they took blood from your ear every three mins while you were on the bike.
i haven't got the results from that one yet but i was on the bike for 15 mins or more riding very fast.

today i went to a sports drug thing just where they advised us on what drugs do to you when you take them to improve your status in a sport. ect ect
i dunno if you would remember her but jackie cooper was there and she was talking about all the injuries she has had over her caree.

has anyone ever had to do any of these tests or things like them??

Andy

First Grade
Yes I have northey.

When I was in high school I was very competive in all sports including athletics. Like Shervo, I was a sprinter.

In PDH-PE we did these and some other fitness tests, to see who was the fittest and obviously to learn about how the tests were functional.

We did a different jump test where you stand flat footed in front of a wall and stretch your hand up as high as it can go and mark it with chalk dust that is already on your fingers.

Then you remain standing with your feet on the ground and jump straight up and touch the wall as high as you can. You do this 3 times, as your 3rd jump will be your highest. The difference between your standing mark and highest jump mark is your jump height.
My standing reach height was 222cm. My jump height was 290cm. Therefore my real jump height was 68cm. Not exactly Shervo, but still pretty good.

The second was testing upper body endurance strength using push-ups.
The test simply involves measuring your body weight and your height, and then doing as many push-ups as you can.
For a male, 0-29 was below average;
30-39 was average; and
40+ was good.

Being a sprinter mainly, my upper body strength wasn't as good as my lower body's, but I managed to pump out 63 of these suckers when I was 17, so I was happy enough with that result.

Tests 3 and 4 were speed.
The first was how fast you could run 100 metres.
Over 18 seconds - slow
15-18 seconds - Average
12-15 seconds - good
Less than 12 seconds - Fast

My 100 metre time was 11.04 at the state titles in '98 so I just used that time when we did the test.

The second test was to run 2km in under 10 minutes.
2km in 12-15 minutes - slow
2km in 10 -12 minutes - average
2km in under 10 minutes - Above average

My time was 9:16.56.

Test 5 was more upper body strength, seeing how much you could bench press.

If you're considered to be fit, then you should be able to bench press 1.5 times your body weight ie. If you weigh 75kg, then you need to bench 112.5 kgs.

With @ being your body weight if you bench press:

< @ you are weak;
Between 1.0 and 1.5 you are average;
> @ x 1.5 then you are fit.

Couldn't find the exact weight I lifted or what my body weight was when I was 17, but the multiplier ended up being 1.56, so I just passed on this exercise.

Test 6 - Swim 500m in under 10 minutes.
This test tells you how good your cardiovascular condition is, and also your level of endurance.

It's a simple test. Simply swim 50 metres in under a minute, 10 times.

Above 12 minutes - Poor
10 - 12 minutes - Average
8-10 minutes - Good
< 8 minutes - Very Good

Did well at this one and posted a time of 8:20.60. So my average lap time was 41.3 seconds.
All of my surfing as a kiddy helped a lot in this exercise.

antonius

Coach
I did one of these fitness tests at work a couple of years ago, and the nurse who did it said I had the body of a finely tuned tri-athelete. :) :) :) :)

Andy

First Grade
antonius said:
I did one of these fitness tests at work a couple of years ago, and the nurse who did it said I had the body of a finely tuned tri-athelete. :) :) :) :)

Are you sure she didn't mean severely damaged quad-raplegic?? :p ;-)

Kaz

junior
antonius said:

Did she call you Cliff Young. ;-)

mrford61

Juniors
I had a fitness test and the doctor insisted I limit myself to a maximum of four beers per day.
I went and got a second opinion and that doctor said exactly the same.

Just to be sure I saw one more doctor who said no more than two a day. :shock: :shock:

Oh well that makes ten beers a day, I can live with that.

Leasha

Juniors
mrford61 said:
I had a fitness test and the doctor insisted I limit myself to a maximum of four beers per day.
I went and got a second opinion and that doctor said exactly the same.

Just to be sure I saw one more doctor who said no more than two a day. :shock: :shock:

Oh well that makes ten beers a day, I can live with that.

ROFLMFAO :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I will just go by my army BFA that i did last year..

Most pushups you can do without dropping in 2 min: 63
Situps: 100 (thats the highest you could go)
2.4km run: 11min 55, so in andy's test this would equate to 2km in a tad less than 10 min.

parra_princess

Juniors
What about the beep test...oh thats a killer

And once I got my ear pricked by an Exercise Physiologist while at the NSWCC Athletics she said it was to test the levels of lactic acid in my blood. I never got them results back :( bitch.

parra_princess said:
What about the beep test...oh thats a killer

And once I got my ear pricked by an Exercise Physiologist while at the NSWCC Athletics she said it was to test the levels of lactic acid in my blood. I never got them results back :( bitch.

Yes the beep test is fun... 7.5 on the beep test is 1.2km in 6min 30... which is piss easy in a strait line at a constant speed, but running backwards and forwards over 20 meters, stopping, starting and going faster and faster, it is much much harder.

7.5 on the beep test(1.2km in 6min30) has a VO2 Max of around 38ml/kg/min. (it is just an oxygen uptake level).. However if you ran 2.4 km in 14 min in a strait line it would also have a VO2 max of 38ml/kg/min.

Level 10 on the beep test equates to around 47 VO2 max, which is equivalent to 2.4km in 11 min..

So you can see for such short distances the beep test is much much harder than running normally.

northey said:
lol i try not to do the beep test

Why ? I thought everyone loves that dry taste of blood in the back of your throat when you are absolutely nackered, and that nauseus feeling you get when you finish, the dry reaching etc etc, its great :lol:

northey

First Grade
ooo yeah isn't that just the best????? ummm love it!!!!

i hate doin the beep test because i seem to be the last girl standing at training,,,,,,,,

Leasha

Juniors
Chicken_Hunter said:
Hehe, i have it on cassette and try to do it once a week if my schedule permits. :D

Haha I have a friend from school who was so enthralled by the concept of the beep test that he too bought a cassette with the beep test on it... the only problem came when (and this is a true story) his brother used to play the cassette in his sleep... subliminal messages at their utmost! :? :lol:

Leasha said:
Chicken_Hunter said:
Hehe, i have it on cassette and try to do it once a week if my schedule permits. :D

Haha I have a friend from school who was so enthralled by the concept of the beep test that he too bought a cassette with the beep test on it... the only problem came when (and this is a true story) his brother used to play the cassette in his sleep... subliminal messages at their utmost! :? :lol:

why on earth would you want to listen to it when you sleep.

Leasha

Juniors
Chicken_Hunter said:
Leasha said:
Chicken_Hunter said:

why on earth would you want to listen to it when you sleep.

He thought that it would inspire him to run faster or something... or maybe he thought it would encourage him to continue running... who knows!

Andy

First Grade
hehehe...

We used to do beep testing at soccer training at Azzuri.

I remember one year all the boys placed bets on who they thought could last the longest.

It was a very funny exhibition.

Most guys put money on themselves, so they pushed themselves over the limit.

We had guys spewing clear bile, doubled over in pain, some were delerious, and one guy even passed out!

But boy was it fun to be a part of :D

Latest posts