What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fittler: We can still make finals

gong_eagle

First Grade
Fittler: We can still make finals

Article from:
http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,22219278-5006066,00.html

By Dean Ritchie and Steve Mascord
August 10, 2007 12:00am

UNBEATEN in four matches and fearing no one, Sydney Roosters coach Brad Fittler last night refused to concede his side was a semi-final casualty.
The Roosters remain three points outside the top eight and must beat Wests Tigers tonight at Homebush to continue harbouring any hopes of a late surge to the playoffs.
Fresh from their epic 31-all draw with New Zealand last Sunday, Fittler is desperately hoping tonight to extend his undefeated four-match winning streak as Roosters coach.
"From my point of view, if we win all our games we make the semi-finals," Fittler said.
"But if we start to think too far ahead and drop a match, it's pretty much gone.
"We can only take it one week at a time because we have to win every match.
"We don't have the luxury of winning four from six and still making the finals."
Tonight will be Wests Tigers coach Tim Sheens' 541st first-grade match as a coach - Fittler's fifth.
But Fittler is unconcerned.
"I haven't thought about it," Fittler said. "I haven't been here long enough to worry about that stuff.
"All my time so far has been dedicated to the Roosters. But Wests Tigers are a big danger. They play for each other and that alone makes them a very dangerous football side."
Tigers coach Tim Sheens last night claimed to have received "support" from referees boss Robert Finch at a private summit held earlier in the day.
After saying last week his team had an ongoing problem with whistler Steve Clark, Sheens told The Daily Telegraph he had so many issues that he decided to meet Finch in person.
"I got plenty of support from him - that's all I'd say," Sheens said. "I discussed a lot of issues. That's the only reason I went in - because there were a lot of issues."
Asked if he had any plans to meet Clark, Sheens said: "I don't meet them."
He said: "It's got nothing to do with him. It's about what he's going to do in relation to things.
"It's nothing to do with influencing the game. All I was asking was some clarification and, as I say, I got support from Robert Finch on most issues."
Finch said: "It was more like a cup of tea and a chat than anything else."
"There wasn't that much in it at all.
"There were a few things we didn't agree on, there were a few where his points were fine."
Asked did Sheens meeting Finch bother him, Fittler said: "No. The referees are out there doing their best."

Agent Mulder

Bench
The Roosters will make the finals, They have a sniff now and i think they will be hard to hold out, They will get up tonight.

Spike

First Grade
Geez I don't know. These kinds of threads are a sure indication you're teams f*cked. The only term missing from the article is "Mathamatical chance" but at least it's still more a chance than my team which is mathamatically f*cked.

Ice777

Bench
While it is mathematically possible i think they might just miss out. While they have to win pretty much all their remaining games, they also have to rely on several other teams to lose some of theirs and overall i just don't think it'll happen.

if they do manage to sneak in, they'll create some headaches for either Melb or Manly depending on where they finish for week 1

ozbash

Referee
"From my point of view, if we win all our games we make the semi-finals," Fittler said.

hope he is right. they deserve a chance on recent form.

Shorty

Staff member
Hmmm I dunno really I'd say it's possible but the fact that Freddy hasn't lost at coach weighs heavily,like the Storm did,the Roosters could be vulnerable to do a false sense of security.

yobbo84

Coach
ozbash said:

hope he is right. they deserve a chance on recent form.

They (or anyone else outside the 8 for that matter) don't deserve sh*t. It's like saying Souths deserve to be there because they're so close after having not made it for 18 years. If they're good enough over the full 25 rounds, they'll be there.

panthersballboy

Juniors
I hope they make it. They have gone from one of my most hated teams to one of my most liked. I think because all dipsticks have gone i.e. Crocker, Hodges and Morely. Freddie is a likeable bloke and being a penrith boy doesn't hurt either. Good luck to them.

Danish

Referee
The roosters are one of the few teams outside 8 that are able to almost control their own destiny into the finals...

with games against the Tigers, Titans and Souths, they are playing teams which are all vying for that last top 8 spot.

Providing they win all their final 4 games, then it doesnt matter what Souths or the Titans do, they WILL finish behind the roosters. And again, if the roosters win all 4 remaining games, the tigers will need to win 3 in a row coming into the finals, or suffer the same fate.

Really the roosters have a dream run home in that it is almost complete up to them if they want to make the finals or not.

In saying that, a single loss could derail the whole thing.

Still, the $10 I threw on us at 201/1 to win the grand final is looking like a decent bet. If only I had taken out the Roosters to make the 8/Cronulla to get the spoon double.... that was paying 210/1 4 weeks ago!

woodyk2

First Grade
It wouldnt surprise me in the slightest if they make it. They lose tonight it's all over i feel though.

kav

Juniors
The Broncos hold the key. They have a tough draw (Storm, Bulldogs, Raiders & Eels). Assuming they only beat the Raiders, then the Roosters only need to win three out of their last four games (against Tigers, Titans, Panthers & Rabbitohs) to sneak home in 8th spot (25 points).

Kav

adamkungl

Immortal
Very simple. Roosters win all remaining games, a challenge but by no means overly difficult considering recent form and the relatively easy run home, finish on 27 and most likely finish 6th (I expect a few teams on 26). We lose any of those games, and its pretty much all over. It would take some very very lucky results to get in on 25. Go Easts, watch out Parra first week of the finals :D

Tom Ace

Bench
If it happens, it happens (and i'll be ecstatic) but if not, i'll be more than happy that I can look forward to 2008 with a lot of anticipation.

petetheileet

First Grade
i think one of roosters or dragons will make the 8...last few weeks they have really picked up their game and teams above them looking ready to crumble!