What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fitzgerald slams Raper rumours

Hurriflatch

Referee
Fitzgerald slams Raper rumours
April 22, 2005 - 7:19PM

Parramatta chief executive Dennis Fitzgerald has slammed speculation linking the Eels with Cronulla coach Stuart Raper.

Fitzgerald said the Eels had not had any contact with the Sharks mentor and had no intention of doing so in the future in regard to the club's first grade coaching position, despite reports to the contrary.

Raper, who comes off contract at the end of the season, is believed to be in strong demand from several other NRL clubs following his stunning success in guiding the Sharks to the top of the table after six rounds this year.

But Fitzgerald said the Eels were not in the market for a new coach, with Brian Smith's five-year deal with the club not due to expire until the end of next season.

"I don't know why they throw us up there," Fitzgerald said.

"I could only think that Stuart's manager must have said something about some other club, which might be just a complete furphy, to put a bit of pressure on the Sharks to re-sign him."

Just three weeks ago Fitzgerald was forced to defend Smith's position at the club after becoming fed up with the constant sniping and talk about his future.

Advertisement
AdvertisementNow he's having to do it all again after television reports linked the club with Raper.

The Eels boss said there was no pressure on Smith from the board at Parramatta despite Parramatta's inconsistent start to the year.

"It is annoying. I keep saying Brian is contracted to the Parramatta club up to an including 2006 and we'll be honouring that coaching contract.

"There's no way that we are looking at any other coach."

Despite being linked with a move away from Cronulla, Raper said he was hopeful of continuing his role with the Sharks.

"It is likely that I'll stay," Raper told Channel Ten on Friday night.

"We're talking at the moment and things are looking good. I'd like to get it all done and dusted.

"You've got to take (being linked to other clubs) as a compliment. Obviously you get recognised by your team's success."

Shark

Bench
As Fitzy says, all part of getting a better deal out of the Sharks.

Poor (but expected) form from a manager!

Latest posts