What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fitzy's league Sledge

He's like a jilted ex-lover who just can't let it go; any sniff of an opportunity to throw mud and he's there with bells on.
It's sad and the majority of the rugby league community are now onto him.

like a lot of tired old, washed out public figures these days, he is seeking relevance.

I actually used to enjoy reading his materiel years ago, and when on the telly he he wasn’t bad at all I thought. Pompous yes, but all the same I liked him.

Now it’s seeking relevance, and with a common-as-arseholes method of outrage, outrage, outrage. Be the loudest, be the angriest, be the most controversial, look at me look at me look at me..

There’s a long extensive thread here based on him. And that would actually please him I’m sure, because it proves he is relevant. Forget respect, relevance is the goal.

axl rose

Bench
He'll love reading about the ARU financial results out tomorrow.
Redder than his bandana and his overly flushed and well bleed mug.

I'm not dancing on anyones grave but he actually believes that the VFL and NRL will both be non existent and Rugby will take over. If he thinks World Rugby is going to bail out the ARU he's in for a shock. He has a delusional disorder/mental illness.

3vf50s.jpg

axl rose

Bench
Wide World of Sports used to be a brilliant show that everyone loved. In fact so beloved that one of the foremost comedians of the age made a living parodying it.

It no longer requires parody.
It makes no sense that from the corpse of Fairfax they would keep this oxygen thief.

simmo05

Bench
I like the part when he wants the feds to bail out rugby Australia. Didn't he just spent the majority of last year campaigning to stop the gov spending money on stadiums for the NRL? Now he wants money to support a game no merkin follows?

Media personality Peter FitzSimons believes Rugby Australia will “go down the gurgler” if the Government does not provide financial support during the sport’s lockdown.

After the Super Rugby tournament was postponed in March due to the coronavirus pandemic, Rugby Australia estimated it would suffer a $120 million loss from match day and broadcast revenue if rugby union does not go ahead this season.

However, the sport’s financial situation was in dire straits well before the virus wreaked havoc – RA announced a loss of $9.4 million for 2019 at its Annual General Meeting on Monday.

On Tuesday, CEO Castle announced 75 per cent of Rugby Australia’s staff had been stood down without pay for the three months. Comparatively, New Zealand Rugby’s staff only copped a 20 per cent pay cut.

Castle also revealed she would concede a 50 per cent cap cut to assist RA’s financial recuperation during the coronavirus shut down. However, she will still earn $400,000 per year on the revised salary.

0fff8dc01ccb03caab250fba1fd01d59

Raelene Caste was appointed Rugby Australia CEO in 2017Source:Getty Images

Like many other sporting organisation, RA will heavily rely on Government support to survive the COVID-19 epidemic, particularly if the upcoming international fixtures are impacted. But former Australian cricket captain Mark Taylor questions whether rugby union deserves a loan when considering the sport’s bleak financial trajectory.

“AFL’s going well, and fortunately cricket is still going well, but where’s rugby going?” Taylor asked on Sports Sunday.

“Club rugby seems to be going OK. International and Super 15 rugby I don’t see is going very well.

“Are they going to lend rugby to a sport that doesn’t have a bright-looking future.

However, former Australian rugby player FitzSimons argued a financial loan for RA is justified due to the cultural significance of the Wallabies.

“The reason you’ll lend (Rugby Australia) money is we’ve got a background of being a powerhouse nation in the world of rugby,” FitzSimons said on Sunday.

“Global rugby is extremely healthy, so the reason you should lend us the money … is because if you don’t lend it to us, we might go down the gurgler.

“Cricket without India would be rugby without Australia.”

RA reportedly rejected a $20 million-per-year offer from Foxtel for broadcast rights, the proposal being $37 million a year less than the current deal.

Former Wallabies Rod Kafer and Nick Farr-Jones voiced their frustration with RA’s management this week. On Friday, The Daily Telegraph reported Castle was set to be replaced by former Wallabies skipper Phil Kearns.

Herald journalist Georgina Robinson jumped to Castle’s defence, arguing no leader could have survived the unprecedented coronavirus outbreak.

“I think Raelene has some issues, (but) I don’t think anyone in her position could have survived this crisis,” Robinson said.

“I’m not sure that Phil Kearns in her position … could have survived this crisis.

“She made a call eight months ago to turn down an offer for more product from Fox Sports for less money because she was confident – and the Board was confident – there was another interested for the five-year broadcast right in the form of Optus.

“About a week before there was going to be money on the table for that deal, coronavirus pandemic hit. That is not a disaster of her making.

“Will she survive it? It’s increasingly looking less likely.”

FitzSimons believes Castle is a victim of the sport’s inherent sexism and lingering discontent about how she handled the Israel Folau saga.

“If you were to measure the antipathy against Raelene Castle, about a half of it, in my view, is because she’s a woman and there is an in-built discrimination,” FitzSimons argued.

“There is a lot of people in the rugby community who say, ‘We can't have a woman running rugby,’ … I'm not making it up. That's the truth of it.

“The other half is the Israel Folau issue. She was the one that said, ‘Israel, here's your hat … you've got to leave’. In my strong view, she had absolutely no choice but to move Israel Folau on, but there's an enduring resentment over that from some quarters.”

GENIA ‘INCREDIBLY SAD’ BY CHAOS

Wallabies great Will Genia says he’s “incredibly sad” about the state of Australian rugby and has called on the warring factions to come together for the sake of the game.

Genia called time on his international career with 105 Test caps to his name after last year’s Rugby World Cup and shifted his playing future to Japan. Back in Queensland, the former Reds star has kept close tabs on the code, which is in dire straits after being halted by the coronavirus crisis at every level.

96b1f28156375ddfc0fbb33dcc2abd78

Will Genia played his final Test for Australia during the 2019 Rugby World Cup in JapanSource:AFP

Rugby Australia has taken a massive financial hit and embattled chief executive Raelene Castle is in the firing line of the player’s association (RUPA) over the handling of pay cuts, while a number of the game’s high-profile figures are calling for her axing and removal of the board.

Genia says it’s hard to watch rugby unravel and there needs to be more compassion towards RA in such extraordinary circumstances.

“I feel incredibly sad when you read things like they’re on their knees and in debt massively,” the 32-year-old told AAP.

“It’s also sad that you start to see a lot infighting and people attacking each other within the game as opposed to everyone working together.

“In a situation like this it’s easy to point the finger at Raelene and whoever and mismanagement of this and that but the only way the game can get through this is if everyone works together and looks for solutions as opposed to just playing up problems.

“Just the image of the game – everyone is so willing to throw each other under the bus as opposed to wanting to work together to find solutions.”

b6ee346d9a57b903c19c2c53ec350ccb

Dave Rennie was appointed Australian coach in JanuarySource:AAP

Genia says he was genuinely excited about the Wallabies in 2020 before the pandemic, with new coach Dave Rennie taking over from the divisive Michael Cheika.

“As someone who’s retired just recently I was so excited for all the news coming out of Australia,” the halfback said.

“With a new coach in Dave, a new coaching team with Scotty (Wisemantel), Matty Taylor, who I’ve worked with at the Reds, the Izzy Folau issue has been put to bed – I was incredibly excited to sit back and see how things unfolded.

“They were heading in the right direction – they were putting things in place for the Wallabies and the national set-up in terms of looking after the Super Rugby provinces and then this has happened.”
https://www.news.com.au/sport/rugby...t/news-story/59460f304c702c3190387db6b92dd6e4

Silent Knight

First Grade
However, former Australian rugby player FitzSimons argued a financial loan for RA is justified due to the cultural significance of the Wallabies.

What cultural significance? Most Australians wouldn't give a damn about the Wannabes.

Time for this sh*t sport to die. Rugby league is the equivalent of homo sapiens and Rugby Union is the equivalent of the neanderthal. Let evolution take its course.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade

“Global rugby is extremely healthy, so the reason you should lend us the money … is because if you don’t lend it to us, we might go down the gurgler.

He loves to pretend that he is unbiased and just “telling it like it is”.

But put some pressure on him and that little “us” slips out. He is and only ever will be a Union wanker who is sore that his sport doesnt matter and his article dont rate unless he chucks “NRL” into the title.

Go wank into your bandana