What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Five things we learned vs the eels

getsmarty

Immortal
65% completion rate by us...we only lost by 4 and personally I think the ref got at least 1 of our no try calls wrong. Also the loss of Thompson and frizell had a big impact. Our team has been playing a physical style all season and it will catch up with you sooner or later. Hope fully we bounce back soon.

Get2dachopper!

Juniors
Is it too late in the season to blood someone like Duffy or Thompson?
Runciman and hunt have FG experience and surely offer more speed than tabouli and Falafel. Food for thought.

TheRev

First Grade
Benji is still killing it.. a lot of his kicks are getting checked because oppositions are targetting him now because of his success.. we will need to deal with that.. and actually Benji did just that late in the game taking advantage of the charging defenders.. but its risky.

Rob Dragon

Juniors
It has not been lost on me that our last 3 losses have come against massive forward packs (Dogs, Roosters and Eels). Did you see the size of Pauli Pauli (off contract by the way)? How about Junior Paulo (doesn't look that junior to me).

Once Parramatta went direct in the 2nd half we struggled to contain their go forward. We tried to address this in the off-season with the recruitment of Rose and we hoped O'Brien would come on; but they have not.

Unfortunately as brave as we were in the last 2 games; our forward pack is just not big enough and until it is the key to beating us is relatively easy. If you have a massive pack and can complete at around +80% you will beat the Dragons.

dungay dragon

Juniors
1. Garvey is ready for first grade
2. Both our wingers tonight were average plodders
3. Halves are trying too hard
4. 50/50 calls have deserted us these past three weeks
5. We lack the depth and quality to be in the top 4

All is not lost. Merely another reality check for our players.

Now it is up to the collective coaching staff to rev the players up for next week. They are doing as well as they can given their ability and our mounting injury toll. Come on Saints !!!
Pretty much spot on !!
Perhaps some of our players have become ""comfortable"" since having their contracts extended :eek:
Benji in particular needs to be more selective , and not try and score or create off every play.
Farrell was the pick of the wingers..Nabuli''s positioning in defence is woeful , and is now on the tip sheets of all opposing coaches
We also tend to be playing like Under 8''s !! throw the ball to our best attacking player ,,,DUGAN,,, and see what he can come up with..
his energy levels are unbelievable
I thought Aitken and Creagh were outstanding for us
All is not lost. We are still well positioned.
Mary just needs to read the riot act to a few , who have dropped back a peg or two ....

Big man

Juniors
Relax it's not the end of the world. You blokes had enough opportunities to win two games last night but luck, bad decisions and poor execution let you down. You will lose games like this throughout the year every team does. That's why you should be looking at the positives and focus on where you currently sit on the table, one good win can change everything and have you all biting at the bit again charging into the final rounds.
Dugan and Benji were your most dangerous players last night and with that tag comes risks, sometimes these risks pay off sometimes they don't but don't bag the blokes for trying because last season they were being bagged for doing sweet nothing with the ball. I know which Benji I would prefer.

rasaint

Juniors
Look bottom line is that the team was disallowed 3 tries yesterday. I am not saying ' we was robbed ' however all those situations were nuances of interputation and judgement.
The Farrell bat back was a well constructed try, no argument. A touch judge decided to put doubt in the refs mind and when you go to video, a ref no try decision is hard to overturn in a case like that. BTW it should have been overturned.

Give us back one of the other two 50/50 calls and we win comfortably albeit not at our best.

The comp is tight guys and luck has deserted at the moment. Not rose coloured glasses as yes we don't have the roster of dogs or rosters Broncos Souths etc, but we are in the mix if luck returns

FMD put the razor blades away already!

A bad game, boohoo. You guys forget both some of you and others had you pegged for the spoon. Hold you heads up, your team certainly can

blacksafake

First Grade
Look bottom line is that the team was disallowed 3 tries yesterday. I am not saying ' we was robbed ' however all those situations were nuances of interputation and judgement.
The Farrell bat back was a well constructed try, no argument. A touch judge decided to put doubt in the refs mind and when you go to video, a ref no try decision is hard to overturn in a case like that. BTW it should have been overturned.

Give us back one of the other two 50/50 calls and we win comfortably albeit not at our best.

The comp is tight guys and luck has deserted at the moment. Not rose coloured glasses as yes we don't have the roster of dogs or rosters Broncos Souths etc, but we are in the mix if luck returns

This!
And for those bagging Benji,Duges & co pull your heads in.You need your marquee players to step up at the crucial moments to do/try something & these guys are especially Duges at the moment how busted must he be.At least he always turns up.

dragondonar1

Juniors
I see a team that is trying their guts out. Due to lack of depth players who should be rested are playing.
I'm proud of our team and how far they have come but until we address our lack of depth in forwards and backs we will struggle.
I think Mary has to bite the bullet and give players like Dugan a week off. Even if we lose a game or two it will be beneficial down the track. We just have to finish in top eight to compete in finals.
Players continually playing busted will hurt us in the long run.
We have been robbed in this game and the dogs game. The refs have to be more consistent and Rob other teams playing us.

The Nick

Bench
I don't know why people have got the razor blades out all of a sudden - it was a short turnaround from a Monday night game and we were only a couple of passes being executed better from winning the game.

Just small things that need to be worked on and fixed and we are right back in it. Definitely no need for an overhaul of the team.

cussy

Juniors
Point 6 we have fair weather fans that are quiet when we are winning but live to out the boot in when we lose. Boys are bound to have a flat spot and happy they are doing it now then hopefully pick up in the next few weeks on run to finals.

V

Vasilevsky

They are severely lacking in depth. I think everyone has known that for a while. Need the best possible team on the field to challenge the top teams.

So Mary has a go at the refs gets fined and is called a sook.

He doesn't say much and is labelled to nice.

Not sure what he is supposed to do really calls went against the side they lost thats the way it is the NRL are starting to look stupid already.

Latest posts