What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Five things we learned vs the eels

possm

Coach
You consider mismanagement of the salary cap irrelevant?!!

Straight Shooter

Those who are responsible for the mismanagement of our salary cap and indeed our Club have not been held accountable and have escaped hostility on the back of the team's success this season. The likes of Doust and Craig Young should have been sacked by the Board. The only reason I can think that this did not happen is because the Board was complicit in those poor decisions.

stevejay

Juniors
Like everyone else mate, you're happy with a band aid solution when the club requires surgery.

But hey, let's remain positive and keep hoping for the best.

Straight Shooter

Ok I'll bite.

Cap mismanagement? Perhaps. We're not the first to get it wrong and won't be the last.
Recruitment has been passed from Young/Doust to PM. Good move.
As a necessary move recruited fringe first graders on one year deals. A few have proved to be great buys. Good move.
Retained the likes of Nighty, Mata, Creagh, Matthews and others. Good move.
Introduced the RedV forum to collect thoughts and ideas from a large cross section of supporters. Good move.
In the market (supposedly, but I know it's correct) for the type of players we currently lack. Good move.
We bought a very good, inexpensive coach that has made the Dragons the surprise packet of 2015. Excellent move.

I've asked you previously to point out why Mary is a dud but you're a weak as piss troll.

Last edited:
what you fail to realise is this!we were coming from a long way back with everyone tipping us for the spoon or there abouts after losing morris and not replacing him with anybody significant, our cap has been mismanaged but it seems that the powers that be realise this and are making some sound decisions around this and future recruitment and some hard ones aswell ie trent merrin so to be third after 16 rounds means we have, get this EXCEEDED EXPECTATIONS and i like everyone on this forum bar two(you and dino) while not 100% happy are positive and are pragmatic enough to realise that you cant win them all and this is a reflection of how even and unpredictable the competition is but getting on here after a loss saying i told you so do doesnt make you look smart at all and your handle reads objective view well its the same shit over and over which is hardly objective if you want to live up to your name how about trying to say something oh i don't know OBJECTIVE!but yeah bunch of fools we are for remaining positive and hoping for the best when our teams sitting third!get a grip oh wait thats half your problem!youre gripping too much!GO THE SAINTS

TruSaint

Referee
what you fail to realise is this!we were coming from a long way back with everyone tipping us for the spoon or there abouts after losing morris and not replacing him with anybody significant, our cap has been mismanaged but it seems that the powers that be realise this and are making some sound decisions around this and future recruitment and some hard ones aswell ie trent merrin so to be third after 16 rounds means we have, get this EXCEEDED EXPECTATIONS and i like everyone on this forum bar two(you and dino) while not 100% happy are positive and are pragmatic enough to realise that you cant win them all and this is a reflection of how even and unpredictable the competition is but getting on here after a loss saying i told you so do doesnt make you look smart at all and your handle reads objective view well its the same shit over and over which is hardly objective if you want to live up to your name how about trying to say something oh i don't know OBJECTIVE!but yeah bunch of fools we are for remaining positive and hoping for the best when our teams sitting third!get a grip oh wait thats half your problem!youre gripping too much!GO THE SAINTS

Took me a while due to the spacing issue, but that was a good read. Well said

RED73V

Juniors
1.Duges needs a rest he is trying week in week out
2. Short turn arounds are hard enough especially when u make 120 extra tackles than your opposition to back up on a short turn around is twice as hard
3. We need more BIG BODIES up front
4. We need to straighten our attack (That's where the BIG BODIES come in ) before hitting the edges not the other way round .
5. We need more depth , I'm sure this will be addressed . Mary has the team playing with SPIRIT & I'm a PROUD SUPPORTER

These are not excuses but Mary's reality on a weekly basis & the cards he has been dealt . Don't forget half our back line including Aitken , Matautai & Nabuli have not a lot of FG experience if we are patient we will reap the rewards . "Oh when the saints go marching in " :clap::clap::clap:

TruSaint

Referee
1.Duges needs a rest he is trying week in week out
2. Short turn arounds are hard enough especially when u make 120 extra tackles than your opposition to back up on a short turn around is twice as hard
3. We need more BIG BODIES up front
4. We need to straighten our attack (That's where the BIG BODIES come in ) before hitting the edges not the other way round .
5. We need more depth , I'm sure this will be addressed . Mary has the team playing with SPIRIT & I'm a PROUD SUPPORTER

These are not excuses but Mary's reality on a weekly basis & the cards he has been dealt . Don't forget half our back line including Aitken , Matautai & Nabuli have not a lot of FG experience if we are patient we will reap the rewards . "Oh when the saints go marching in " :clap::clap::clap:

Great post.. This mob doesnt fold too easily. They are resilient. On Duges, he ran again over 200 metres yesterday.

Duges does need a rest give J Hunt a go and see if he is worth keeping around beyond this year if he has a shocker then he'll be gone but you won't know till you try.

The club on field is in a better position then I could have imagined thanks to the coaching staff the off field stuff well thats an entirely different story and we can only hope things do change.

Hopefully Mr Mulholland isn't backed into a corner with signings and at least is able to look at some decent first grade players or even the UK bringing back a Masoe or a Taia.

The boys have played well with lots of courage and the pride is starting to appear again which I love.

The Nick

Bench
The thing is Dugan would rather be playing - that's the type of guy he is. It takes a lot to keep him off the field.

Hopefully he'll be rested through the week rather than on game day.

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
I don't know why people have got the razor blades out all of a sudden - it was a short turnaround from a Monday night game and we were only a couple of passes being executed better from winning the game.

Just small things that need to be worked on and fixed and we are right back in it. Definitely no need for an overhaul of the team.

Im with you Nick....few IFs I know but if Matthews catches the ball against The Roosters its 2 points....and If those 3 tries (one was a dead set try..Aitkens) then its another 2...sure we had our chances at times but with a little rub of the green so to speak we would be praising our blokes right now and not sharpening the knives

Im with you Nick....few IFs I know but if Matthews catches the ball against The Roosters its 2 points....and If those 3 tries (one was a dead set try..Aitkens) then its another 2...sure we had our chances at times but with a little rub of the green so to speak we would be praising our blokes right now and not sharpening the knives
in all fairness bloodshot it's only two that are borderline catatonic over it all!

hardbaby

Coach
One thing that stood out to me is that our forwards could do a lot worse than look at Creagh and emulate that style. Head down. Straight. Quick play the balls. Too many of our guys step before the line and lose momentum. It's a small pack anyway so you need speed to dent the line.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Everyone here seems to agree that Mulholland is a good move by the club but should also realise that Mary is the one that got him there. He is the one that called Mullholland and convinced Saints to sign him up. Mismanagement? Probably last 2 years but this year Management is doing ok. Losing BMoz and Mezz is sad but due to previous "Mismanagement" and no fault on Mary or Mulholland.

People say if Saints had BMoz they would have won the games they lost? Do they realise BMoz has only played about 4 games for the Dogs so far. He has been injured most of the season? Again lets talk Mismanagement? I don't think paying a guy 650k to be on the bench is probably a masterstroke. Paying a guy 650k to be on the bench is mismanagement? They could have bought Kevin Locke who is not linked to Origin or Josh Hoffman for the same dollars.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
One thing that I think had some impact. Saints started on fire and scoring off the first set of 6 was pretty good. Parra would have dropped their bundle and thought, here we go. Instead Au Mau drops the ball from the kickoff and Parra hit back straight away and get their tails up. If Saints held on to that set they would have settled and kicked deep I feel it would have been a far different game and possible a huge win to the Saints. We gave them momentum with that soft easy try off a stupid error.

The ref decisions were poor. I would love to see if Middleton can provide a stat on which side gets picked on the most for forward passes. Saints cop at least one a game. No joke I have watch other non dragons and I don't see forward passes called back at all. How Saints try from a supposed forward pass was given was beyond me. It was a quick catch and pass and great play. Absolute crap.

As for Farrell batting it back even Radrada thought it was a try. Apparently the Eels trainer tipped off the linesman and he called it forward. What Farrell did is considered a pass, so the Video official literaly called a no try based on a forward pass.

dwight12

Juniors
1. GARVEY IS THE 2ND BEST HOOKER AT THE CLUB

2. DRAGONS PLAYER DEPTH IS LACKING -

3. REFEREES ARE TERRIBLY INCONSISTENT (Cost us 1 Try at least)

4. OUR ATTACK IS STILL FINDING ITS FEET

5. DRAGONS STARTING TO DEPEND TOO MUCH ON BENJI

6. As i anticipated, our compressed line is getting found out on the edges. If we are going to continue to play this style of defence, we need some speed out wide that can cover for the wingers who are charging in.

hardbaby

Coach
6. As i anticipated, our compressed line is getting found out on the edges. If we are going to continue to play this style of defence, we need some speed out wide that can cover for the wingers who are charging in.

Yeap it's a real skill to fly in off the wing, hit and stick. When you have Nighty and BMoz no drama but...

giboz71

First Grade
It's pretty clear we still need forwards. Not a coincidence we have struggled against the bigger packs. Our go forward just seems to struggle against these teams.

Ah Mau, Cooper and De Belin have improved out of sight under Mary, but let's face it, they are not exactly elite. All the top sides have multiple elite forwards to choose from:

Cowboys: Scott, Tamou, Cooper
Broncos: Maguire, Thaiday, Gillette, Parker,
Dogs: Their whole forward pack
Roosters: JWH, Guerra, Cordner, Napa, Evans
Rabbits: The Burgess brothers, Stewart
Storm: Bromwich, Proctor,

These are the forwards we need to compete with. Merrin is probably closest to elite, but he tends to go missing in big games. And he is also leaving. Our forwards are probably good enough to compete, but more often than not, we'll end up falling short like our last 3 games.

Packer will help, not sure if Masoe is coming? But we still need troops.

Last edited:

Latest posts