What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flanagan gone

Magpies Forever

Juniors
Yeah, I heard similar some time ago but had not seen it repeated again so figured it may have been nothijng. Ptiy he was directly competing with Fulton for a spot in the 17, yet somewhat ironically, I reckon he is potentially more versatile and useful for WT than Fulton is. Anyway, good luck Mark back in the ESL and I hope you have enjoyed your time at WT.

thommo_85

Juniors
stupid signing by us to start with

Why?

It's not as if he was taking up a huge chunk of the cap.
You can't sign 25 gun players, you do have to make room for some fringe first-graders. I don't think he was that bad for us.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
he was pointless for our club.

We didn't need to sign a gun, just promote one of the young guys to the 25 man squad, may have helped keep us under the cap and avoid a lot of the bullshit going on now.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
I never imitated that I did.

I just figure he was taking up a spot one of our juniors here could have had instead.

Even if he was on 55k, it's still a pointless signing given he barely played first grade and when he did he offered nothing different to Fulton anyway.

gronkathon

First Grade
I think he was gone as soon as no other club actually wanted Fulton. He could have stayed as a cheaper equivalent of Fulton

thommo_85

Juniors
Who are these juniors that missed out on a spot because of flanagan?
Have they gone to other clubs and become something bigger? (this is a serious question, I hope there aren't any)

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Only needed to be one, Gower for one should have been in the 25 man squad and was a darn sight better than Flanagan.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
yet if we had've put him in the top 25 two years ago, when he was still good enough for the NRL, that could have been avoided.

gronkathon

First Grade
Yup. Could not even get a full time training gig with WT.

Funnily enough Gower was great for Salford and better than anything Flanagan produced in his performances in England but we still imported Flanno over giving a contract to someone deserving

magpie_man

Juniors
he'll be better a better player for his time spent here. england should send more of their young players out here so that we can teach them how to play.

westie

Bench
Has linked up with Simmons at Saints. Another bizarre signing by them. Would have been much more suited to a newly promoted Widnes.

Borat.

Juniors
http://www.code13rugbyleague.com/2011/07/19/saints-sign-wests-mark-flanagan/
Helens have announced the signing of 23-year-old utility forward Mark Flanagan on a two-year deal for 2012 and 13. Flanagan was formerly with Wigan Warriors and is currently in his second year at Wests Tigers in Sydney.
Saints Coach Royce Simmons stated: “I coached Mark previously at Wests Tigers. He is a very good young British player who has benefited from his time in the NRL.
“He has an excellent attitude both on and off the field. He is tough and versatile, can play in the middle or on an edge and can cover at hooker if need be.
“He is a good addition to our squad for next year.”
Oldham-born Flanagan played for Wigan from 2007 to 2009 before making his NRL debut for Wests in March 2010 against Manly. Since then he has made 22 appearances, scoring two tries.

Latest posts